1.    #1  
    I am pleased to announce the newest version of my GPS software for outdoor activities such as Geocaching and hiking.

GeoNiche V1.42 has the following improvements:

• Improved 5-way navigator handling
    • Fixed "Sound while near" preferences item
    • Fixed infinite re-connection loop problem with Bluetooth GPS receivers
    • Fixed various issues related to text editing
    • Fixed crash related to powering down when communicating with Bluetooth GPS receiver
    • Improved EasyNiche parsing

((RayDar))
    I have a Treo 700p. Will this software allow me to download geocachiing POI's directly from geocaching.com and handoff to your software...so the gps solution does not require communication from another computer via hotsync?

I'd love something that could enable the treo 700p to acquire POI geocaching coordinates directly into the treo in realtime...so you could go "hunting" on the spot no matter where you are.....assuming you have a bluetooth gps reciever and wireless data connection via the treo?
    Included is a java program which can take GPX or LOC files and converts them into GeoNiche databases. Or you can use any number of other programs that use GPSBabel and get a GeoNiche database out of it.

But no, GeoNiche cannot download directly from Geocaching.com.

However, did you know about http://wap.geocaching.com ? You can browse to that and look up/search locations from there. Assuming you can copy the coordinates in the right format easy enough, you could paste that into GeoNiche pretty easily.

I do a lot of logging on the walk back from caches with the wap site.

BTW, I can't say any compatability with the 700p. I've used GeoNiche a bit with the 650. Its features are very nice, but the limits to the trial make it hard to really evaluate very well.

Another thing that bugs me, and other software has the same issue. Updating caches. You either get duplicates, or you wind up with the old entry completely replaced, including "personalized" stuff like the icon, color of the icon (I color icons according to mine, visited, dnf, found, etc), logs, time visited, etc. If it could merge this information, yet retrieve new coordinates and description information, that would be terrific.

Right now I think I'll just have to import new caches as they appear into my methodology. How to deal with updates, or keeping logs current (I like to see the last 5 logs, sometimes better than a hint when I'm really stumped) is a more difficult matter.
    So then it appears that you can use cut and paste coordinates from the wap.geocaching site into GeoNiche....cool. So you could be in a different city and decide to look for a cache on the spot. So you would not need any additional mapping software...just GeoNiche and a bluetooth GPS.....
    I'd guess that will work, I haven't tried it yet actually. But should work.

The only caveat is the coordinate representation. I haven't tried it, but I might try it here in a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Another thing that bugs me, and other software has the same issue. Updating caches. You either get duplicates, or you wind up with the old entry completely replaced, including "personalized" stuff like the icon, color of the icon (I color icons according to mine, visited, dnf, found, etc), logs, time visited, etc. If it could merge this information, yet retrieve new coordinates and description information, that would be terrific.

Right now I think I'll just have to import new caches as they appear into my methodology. How to deal with updates, or keeping logs current (I like to see the last 5 logs, sometimes better than a hint when I'm really stumped) is a more difficult matter.
    Okay, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but this is all working properly now. I create a pdb from the EasyNiche.jar on the command line so I can specify some things (what's included in the notes, colors, if Geocaching.com categories are used, etc) and when I merge, no dups, the information is updated, visited is maintained, colors maintained (if none specified to EasyNiche of course), etc. GeoNiche seems to do a dandy job with this now.

If anyone is curious about my setup, I think I might write up something on it and put it on my website. I have Pocket Queries that cover most of the area I visit in my state, those queries are received in email and sent to a script which merges into other gpx files, removes dups, breaks out into some specific areas, and creates GeoNiche, Google Earth, and EarthComber files. So the files are ready on the disk for me to update.

I have a Pocket Query for a three large areas that cover most of my state, plus a My Finds and My Hides query. Each file has its own individual output into the various programs, My Finds show up in the "Caches Found" category, My Hides go into the "Owned" category in GeoNiche, etc. The rest of the caches in the state I import the file that is a 30 mile radius around my house. I haven't imported the other two files yet, I think I'm going to investigate if I can pull that data in and out of GeoNiche first, that's a lot of data/storage space.

GeoNiche is now very easy, just hotsync the new file, merge, done. Google Earth I delete the existing entry, open the KML, no biggie. EarthComber is a pain, I gotta delete a group, delete all the items that wind up in the Inbox (from group deleting), make a new group, then input the GPX info, then move them into the group again. Not something I'll be doing weekly.