Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I just saw that if you use your mastercard, you get 2 years of Yahoo Music Unlimited To Go for the price of one ($120).

http://music.yahoo.com/mastercard

I'm tempted. Any of you using it who have either good things or bad things to say?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have been using it for the past year and love it. I paid $60 for the year and yes I have been hedging on my renewal at $120/year. At $60/year I definitely think it is worth it. I clearly buy more than 6 cds per year Too bad for me it is only for new customers
    Last edited by gottago; 08/18/2006 at 02:55 PM.
    I love it too. I got in last year when it was $4.99/mo for a year. My subscription is coming up soon and with this deal, I might have to pull the trigger. It works great with PocketTunes Deluxe. Just drag your music to the Palm icon in Yahoo Music.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    gapost -

If you look at the details of the above offer it says for new customers only

oo! Music Unlimited is $59.88 per year, and Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go is $119.88 per year. If you pay with MasterCard, you will receive the second year free no matter which plan you choose. Yahoo! Music Unlimited and Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go are available to U.S.-based subscribers only. A valid subscription is required to access saved songs.

The “Buy One Year, Get The Second Year Free” promotion is available to new subscribers in the US only. Once billing begins, your subscription will automatically renew on the second anniversary of your billing date, at the conclusion of your free year, at the then-current price offered to the public for the subscription you selected, until you tell us to cancel. The Yahoo! Music Jukebox application is free and will not be affected if you cancel a Yahoo! Music Unlimited subscription. A valid MasterCard is required at sign up. See additional terms during registration.

Yahoo! Music does not permit copying or transferring music files to other users. Share function available only for subscribers to access another subscriber's Yahoo! Music Unlimited music files.

Offer expires 10/4/06.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Just drag your music to the Palm icon in Yahoo Music.
    You mean to transfer mp3 songs or to stream music?
    is it even possible to stream via ptunes from yahoo?
    It's not hard to make a new account.

I don't think you could stream music from Yahoo on the Treo. It has it's own application. When you are in the application, and you connect your Treo (after you have installed PocketTunes) with a cable. It just shows up like a drive and you can use Yahoo Music to add and delete songs, and even make playlists. You have to subscribe to Yahoo to Go to be able to add songs to portable devices. You can run the Yahoo program on up to three computers.
    Its for new customers only. I signed up for the free trial for a few days and cancelled the trial. Now they say I am not a new "Subscriber" even though I was never under an official subscription.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    You mean to transfer mp3 songs or to stream music?
    is it even possible to stream via ptunes from yahoo?
    Yahoo! uses .wmv files which are licensed. The bad thing is if you do not maintain your subscription you will lose ALL of your saved files because your subscription is your license. Can we say hook?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    It's not hard to make a new account.

//snip//
    Yeah, I think you are right about that. But now, you know that isn't the RIGHT thing to do
    Do these files actually stay on your harddrive or are they streamed from Yahoo's site when you click play? When you pay extra to "take them with you" are you downloading a licensed version which expires at some point, or do you get the whole file forever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Do these files actually stay on your harddrive or are they streamed from Yahoo's site when you click play? When you pay extra to "take them with you" are you downloading a licensed version which expires at some point, or do you get the whole file forever?
    They can be streamed or stored on your hard drive. However, they are DRM, which means they will only play as long as you have a subscription.
    Yeah, good idea. Renting music.
    They can be streamed or stored on your hard drive. However, they are DRM, which means they will only play as long as you have a subscription.
    You mean some creative soul hasn't already came up with a way to crack that drm? If it's on your own HD, don't know why you can't just crack the drm and then convert it to a more friendly format.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Not that I condone it, but some use programs like Total Recorder to record the music as it plays into a non-protected format.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    Not that I condone it, but some use programs like Total Recorder to record the music as it plays into a non-protected format.
    Cool solution. Avoids stripping away the drm. Thx for the education.
    http://www.highcriteria.com/
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Yeah, good idea. Renting music.
    I'm not quite sure why this bugs people so much. We've had entertainment rental models around for quite some time: HBO, Netflix, even satellite radio. All have some model of: pay a monthly fee, get some sort of access to our librarly of media. The yahoo/napster/rhapsody model is acutally much more open than those, in that you can get immediate access to anything in the library.

The model I don't have a problem with. My question is whether it's worth the money. It sounds like at $5/month it probably is.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    finally bit the bullit on this, and paid my $120 for 2 years. It's pretty darn cool. There's some music they don't have that I wish they did. And it's a bit slow. And the music player is kind of funky.

But it's still a bunch of good music to be able to play on the PC and the Treo.

I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it.