1.    #1  
    Hi I'm new to this board. Reading through the threads here convinced me to get a GSM Treo 650, and I was going to place an order for it tomorrow. Now that the new Treo is set for release at the end of this year, I'm having second thoughts.

I'm quite fussy about good reception, reliability and having a simple, user friendly interface. I own a Nokia 6230 which sort of epitomises this. On top of that the UI has to have decent speed; I get quite frustrated if it lags when I'm trying to send text messages. (I was quite put off when the Reuters article mentioned that the 650 frequently crashes.)

I don't care if the phone is a all-singing, all-dancing portable media player; all I want is a good phone paired with a decent organiser and everything else will be a bonus. Should I go ahead with the 650, or wait for the new Treo?

I suspect that the new Treo won't be out until December and as you can tell I'm quite impatient.

Thanks for your input.
    The Reuters article is misinformed on a number of things.

My unlocked GSM Treo 650 is quite stable. This means that I can go for a few months without reboots. So don't listen to the horror stories. Good results are possible. Just use 3rd party software carefully.

If you can get a subsidized 650 now, I would do it. The only reason to wait is if you absolutely need WM5 as your operating system and then you have many other choices, don't you?
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 08/18/2006 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
    Suggest you wait a little bit. Bluetooth 1.2 is must have if you need use the phone and GPS at the same time.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I'd say the 650 is a great device if you need a device that can do absolutely everything.

The problem is that it doesn't do a lot of it well. I get occasional crashes, lots of pauses and slowdowns and need occasional resets due to out of memory conditions. You need to be really careful about the combination of applicaitons you install which can be both time consuming and frustrating.

I love my treo because it's a GPS/Audio/Video/Game/Organizer/Push Email/IM/Web Browser/Phone. It does so much that I'm not teribbly bothered by the issues it does have. If I were only using the phone and organizer functions I couldn't stand the problems it has. On the other hand, if I were only using the phone and organizer, I wouldn't have as many problems.

I don't think going to a WM device like the Lennon will help much, because WM has it's own memory management issues.

I'm guessing your GSM, because you didn't mention the 700P. The Nitro (Next GSM Palm OS phone), should come out this year, but it's hard to tell how much better or worse it will be.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabbith
    I'm guessing your GSM, because you didn't mention the 700P. The Nitro (Next GSM Palm OS phone), should come out this year, but it's hard to tell how much better or worse it will be.
    And you'd be right.. I use GSM.

I won't be using GPS/Bluetooth much. If I can get the Treo to be quite stable using it as a phone/organiser with occasional email and internet browsing I'll be a happy bunny.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm swayed towards getting the 650 at the moment. Just need some reassurance that the 650 will be stable enough so that it doesn't frustrate me. I've got to decide by tomorrow so keep 'em coming.

edit: Does 'reboot' mean a hard reset or just a random soft reset?
    Last edited by jules82; 08/18/2006 at 04:28 PM.
    I'm a recent owner of the Treo 650 GSM unlocked and have yet to experience an unvoluntary reboot. I stripped the ROM of all useless stuff and kept 3rd party apps to what I really need. It's been about 2 months now I think that I have this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jules82
    I use "reboot" to mean the random soft reset. I think most people on TC use the word that way. Anything beyond that they'd call a hard reset or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jules82
    ...Thanks for all your replies. I'm swayed towards getting the 650 at the moment. Just need some reassurance that the 650 will be stable enough so that it doesn't frustrate me. I've got to decide by tomorrow so keep 'em coming.

Out of the box, a Treo 650 should be pretty much rock-solid stable. The good news is that even should you have an unexplained reset (and all devices have this issue occasionally - or a freeze-up requiring a reset), the reset is really, really fast.

On the other hand, if you ONLY want a phone and organizer, this device may be overkill for you. The Treo 650's (or any Palm device) true strength lies in its extensibility.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    On the other hand, if you ONLY want a phone and organizer, this device may be overkill for you. The Treo 650's (or any Palm device) true strength lies in its extensibility.
    Overkill sounds pretty good to me. I was trying to emphasize that the phone has to perform well in those two areas.

I'm going to go ahead and order it. I'll let you all know how I get on after I've had a good play with it. Thanks again.