1.    #1  
    I am in need of a program that blocks/filters calls for my Treo 650. I have tried Call Shield, Call Filter, and Buzz Off, but they don't work for my 650. They were originally written for the 600. They will answer a call, but not hangup as it is supposed to. Anyone know of an app. that works for the 650. Somehow my phone number got in the hands of telemarketers.
    Thanks!!
    T
    Verizon 650/Tekkeon mini/Krussel classic case
    I use Callfilter and no problems. Before I was using BuzzOff and it was also ok. (Treo GSM unlocked)
    I came across this app earlier today- PhoneShield

It's from the developer of Palmasaurus. I have no idea if it works, but I'm planning to try it with my 650 this evening. I'll report back afterwards.
    CallFilter was updated for the Treo 650. It still has problems, from what I hear..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Reporting back as promised...

I downloaded PhoneShield by Hazelware. Installation to my Treo 650 (unlocked, Cingular branded, firmware 1.17) went smoothly except for a displayed message which appeared immediately after the HotSync completed. The message asked me to register the app. Upon launching the app, I received a nag screen which stated that the program was free to distribute, but that a registration code had to be purchased through PalmGear to unlock all the features. This was confusing because the app is listed as freeware on the developer's website and is not even offered for sale on the PalmGear website (4 other apps from the developer are available from PalmGear). This nag screen appears each time the app is launched.

Regarding the actual functionality of the program, it does seem to work correctly with my Treo 650. I was only able to test about a dozen or so scenarios, but they all worked as expected. The tested scenarios included combinations of: block callers not in my contacts, block numbers which exactly match, block numbers which start with, block numbers which contain, allow caller to leave voicemail, and deny voicemail for all blocked calls. When voicemail is denied, the caller simply hears a disconnected line after a couple rings. When voicemail is allowed, the caller hears the normal number of rings (4-5 in my case) before they are transferred to voicemail.

I could not test the other three scenarios this evening: block all unknown calls, block incoming calls while roaming, block incoming international calls.

There are a couple additional features which are very useful. One is a blocked call log which shows you which calls were successfully blocked. There is also a reverse lookup tool which works in conjuction with two additional database files (AreaCodeDatabase.pdb and CityDatabase.pdb). This feature will give you the city and state for a number (or partial number) that you enter.

Overall, this app seems to play well with my Treo 650. The nag screen is a bit annoying, but not terribly inconvenient. It would be better if the developer would either remove the nag screen if it really is supposed to be freeware, or post a link to a website where you could purchase a registration code if it's actually shareware. Other than that, the program appears to function as described.
    Last edited by usskaos1; 08/18/2006 at 08:08 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I'll give Phoneshield a try. I like Call Filter's interface, but on my Verizon 650, it would answer, but not hang up on the call. That's a problem.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I've used LightWav Pro successfully on both my former 650 and my current 700p without problem...

http://www.toysoft.ca/
    Quote Originally Posted by trevsdad
    I'll give Phoneshield a try. I like Call Filter's interface, but on my Verizon 650, it would answer, but not hang up on the call. That's a problem.
    I tried PhoneShield on my Verizon 650 and the blocking features worked well...however, all other calls that came in showed "No Caller ID"

When I uninstalled it things went back to normal. I emailed the developer and he said its a cdma thing and that's why it isn't on palmgear any more.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman
    I tried PhoneShield on my Verizon 650 and the blocking features worked well...however, all other calls that came in showed "No Caller ID"

When I uninstalled it things went back to normal. I emailed the developer and he said its a cdma thing and that's why it isn't on palmgear any more.
    Yes, you are correct. I tried it out and got excited when it blocked the calls. Unfortunately, every call not blocked shows "no caller ID". I guess my search continues.
    Thanks all.