Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there have been individual threads discussing the various programs to disable the keyboard backlight, BUT I am wondering which one people find to be the MOST STABLE.

My unlocked Treo 650 is running VERY STABLE right now (no resets in > 2-3 months) and while I would like to turn off my keyboard light to save battery, I don't want it to become unstable.

I don't really care if the program is free or not. SO, please let me know which program is the least buggy/most stable.

Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Sorry, the title should read "... to turn OFF the keyboard backlight?"
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I have been using KBLightsOff for over a year (on a Treo 650, moving on to 700p). No problems for me.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Keyshades Light
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Brightcam
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    KBlights off - not in automatic mode.

Completely stable for well over a year.
    KBLightsoffin auto mode, works perfect for me. I would HATE anything I had to toggle to get the light to come on.
    happy with KeyShades
    My 700 has been real stabel with BrightCam installed. The backlight comes on only in the dark when needed by callibration. During the light periods of the day it shuts off.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Keyshades Light
    while I'm not particularly fond of the program myself (and I wrote it!), aprasad's right: keyshades light won't/can't cause instability because it doesn't do any background processing at all.

kblightsoff and keyshades both hook the event queue, a potential source of instability.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    while I'm not particularly fond of the program myself (and I wrote it!), aprasad's right: keyshades light won't/can't cause instability because it doesn't do any background processing at all.

kblightsoff and keyshades both hook the event queue, a potential source of instability.
    I installed it, and I love it! Thanks for a great app doomsey!
    - Jeeman
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    where do you find keyshades light?
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

After researching KBLightsOff, Keyshades, Keyshades Light, Brightcam, and a few other, I decided on Keyshades Light --- mainly because it is SO SIMPLE to use, and it doesn't run in the background (a great plus, since simplicity is next to godliness!!)

So far, working great on my Treo 650. As others have mentioned, the only "bug" is that if I change the brightness through Opt + P, it will turn on the keyboard lights. But, it is easily turned off again by 2 clicks on the Keyshades Light icon.

Doomsey --- GREAT small, simple, reliable, application!! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    I found KeyShades (hack)1.3b1, but I can't for the life of me find KeyShades Light. Where the heck is it?
    Thanks, Abe
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman
    I found KeyShades (hack)1.3b1, but I can't for the life of me find KeyShades Light. Where the heck is it?
    Thanks, Abe
    It's the same thing; you don't need YAHM to run it, I think it is just the name that doomsey gave it.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-682.html
    - Jeeman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeMan
    It's the same thing; you don't need YAHM to run it, I think it is just the name that doomsey gave it.
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-682.html
    Doomsey mentions KeyShades and KeyShades Light in the same sentence...saying one is more stable than the other. I have the one in the link (Keyshades 1.3b1) and I have seen references to both but can't find a download link for keyshades light. What's YAHM?
    Doomsey mentions KeyShades and KeyShades Light in the same sentence...saying one is more stable than the other. I have the one in the link (Keyshades 1.3b1) and I have seen references to both but can't find a download link for keyshades light.
    Here is a link to the developer's site.
  18.    #18  
    Yes, as above, Keyshades Light can be found at the developer's site.

From what I can tell, the difference is that Keyshades is "on" all the time in the background, while Keyshades Light is a standalone application that only runs when you click on the icon.

Because of this, as doomsey says, the Light version doesn't have the potential to cause instability.

Is there a benefit, then, to using the Full version over the Light version?
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1
    Here is a link to the developer's site.
    Success!!! Thanks!
    <snip>What's YAHM?
    You will find the answer here. Also, here is a short definition:
    From YAHM website:
    In 1996 Edward Keyes offered HackMaster: program for patch management. This program introduced a new kind of program for PalmOS: hacks. The hack author now had no responsibility for patch activation and deactivation; the primary goal of hack code was PalmOS functionality improvement. HackMaster did all hack management. Hacks became popular. At the same time there were exists programs with their own patch management. One could discover them by using buttons or menu items named 'Enable program'. They were known as hidden hacks. Keyboard drivers and national language support were samples of such kind of programs.
    - Jeeman
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast