Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Everyone here is interested in a *stable* browser. We have to master "The Art of Browsing on the Palm Treo" before we can get anything done. That usually includes using several browsers, managing cache, and worrying about things others wouldn't even think of. A good browser, Java based or otherwise, would be a huge hit.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    triprince,

Any word yet? Are you going to work on supporting the Treo 650/700p?

I've been using OperaMini and I've been quite impressed with the speed of page loads. The problem is, it's a bit buggy and crash prone. I'm sure if your browser is stable and can load pages faster than Blazer you'd receive a VERY warm welcome from the Treo community
  3.    #43  
    Thanks to spiVeyx and everyone else. I'm working very hard on the Palm version! It will support all the current Palm devices, and it *should* support all devices running OS 5.x.

Adding pen support is proving to be quite a bit of work, as you do expect pen operation to be much more powerful than key presses, which translates into a lot of UI upgrades. I will try to get an early beta out ASAP that supports all the basic UI navigational operations, which may seem awkward at first, because they are all based on key commands. Stay tuned
    Count me in on the beta testing!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    glad to see this is moving forward and sounds like it will happen put me down as a beta tester trial thingy please
    I'm avaable for beta testing also
    This will be the first browser that has an active developer. All other browsers are just stuck on the version they are currently at. I hope you can make it a stand alone app that doesn't need Java becuase I don't really like the Java interface.

Al
    I would appreciate being put on the list. I use the enfora wi fi sled and the blazer always crashes. Opera Mini is great. Java is not an issue. Would mind trying something new!
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    happy to beta test as well. tried all the browsers available.
    so far, webpro is best if you don't mess with the preferences.
    wish opera was better as that's my desktop browser.
    I'm not sure we need to spam the thread with thousands of beta-slot requests... I'm sure our friendly neighborhood java-man will post a link for all his good buddies here on TreoCentral when it's ready, right, old chum?
    just so i won't be left behind, I too would be glad to beta test... *sorry I had to jump on the bandwagon...

excited at the prospect of ANOTHER browser... a REAL palm browser... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maceyr View Post
    They seem quite disappointed don't they?

The truth is, triprince already has a working product, he just needs to "tweak" it for the Treo, or more accurately, the PalmOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    This will be the first browser that has an active developer. All other browsers are just stuck on the version they are currently at. I hope you can make it a stand alone app that doesn't need Java becuase I don't really like the Java interface.

Al
    Not 100% true. I am actively developing another browser (Universe, it was formerly WAPUniverse, version 3 will be far better than 2.1, and version 4 even better), I just haven't been making it public since I am working on many many things and I prefer not to be bugged. It was going to be bundled with iSpin 2.0, but we have not received any updates or communications from the iSpin 2.0 author. I spent too much time talking about the browser on TapTarget.com's forums and not enough time developing.

Anyway, I am not going to talk more here because I don't want to steal this thread, nor do I want to describe what I am working on until it is ready for release (soon I hope, but I will say, there will be some features not seen in other PalmOS web browsers).

Anyway, I am curious to see what Minuet is like for the PalmOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post
    They seem quite disappointed don't they?

The truth is, triprince already has a working product, he just needs to "tweak" it for the Treo, or more accurately, the PalmOS.
    A note: If a developer takes to weeks to respond to a post, don't get mad. Usually we are programming (or dealing with the other part of our lives, if programming isn't at the top). But you guys get that (EDIT: I am sure you understand that about developers).
    Last edited by dkirker; 09/09/2006 at 12:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    A note: If a developer takes to weeks to respond to a post, don't get mad. Usually we are programming (or dealing with the other part of our lives, if programming isn't at the top). But you guys get that.
    You mean dealing with the "significant other" all treo nuts get that and since im on treo central at 1am i get it too.
    That too.

Edit: I wish that it was much easier to roll out software updates, then things would be easier.
    seemes to me that if even half the things that have been asked for get included, we could be looking @ a pretty darn good browser. can't wait!
    I'd like to add one more suggestion. Here are biggest problems with the Palm java environment:

1) it doesn't save state (after you exit and re-enter, you're starting over)
    2) it doesn't allow for a browser to intercept hyperlinks. If I click on a link in an email, will it open in a Java browser?

If it can, I don't mind Java. If not, I'd vote to try to get a standalone POS browser.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Stylus capability is fine but make sure you have complete support for the 5-way nav for us one-handed users. Browsing with Blazer w/o the stylus is easy as pie.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast