Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    There actually is a way to run Java "from the card." What it takes is the use of a third party launcher such as ZLauncher - the launcher MUST be capable of handling MULTIPLE CREATOR IDs and there are only two I am familiar with that are capable of doing that.

The steps - install Java in the device's main memory and configure it - questions, just ask about that - it is covered fairly well in the doc's. Then install KMaps. Then using ZLauncher, tap KMaps and hold the tap until a menu is displayed and select MOVE to the card and move KMaps to the ZLauncher applications folder; this action creates a short cut that is needed to launch the application. After that, using ZLauncher's file management capability, select all of the Java files (there may be a number of these and may also have different Creator IDs) and MOVE all of them to the ZLauncher applications folder that KMaps is located in. After making sure ALL of the files have been moved, then launch the whole mess by launching KMaps - ZLauncher copies everything in the folder to main memory, launches it, then copies it all back to the ZLauncher application folder upon termination of the application.

Upside - no significant amount of memory used - only a short cut for KMaps.

Downside - do not attempt to adjust or modify the Java settings - crash will occur because the application itself is not in main memory.

Downside - load time - not a lot, but ZLauncher has to copy those files from the card to the device's main memory and that takes a bit of time.

Stability - not a problem.

If you have a 700p then having it all in main memory should be no problem. I have Java in main memory and KMaps itself on the card.

Ben
    I had Zlauncher before and hated it. I have been using Facer Pro for the past year.

I will need to look to see about trying the Java move to SD with Facer, but I would really like my DA to work. Its has a small footprint and straight to the point without being too complcated. I'm in IT and I can master anything, but 90% of the time when I use DA I am actually driving. I have used it while on the highway and main roads fine with a few keypresses. Kmaps looks like I would have to pull over and type too many things or go to too many menus to be useful.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Wow, I tried it again and then ended up calling Sprint to be reprovisioned - took 5 minutes to do that. I believe it is time to let Mr. Witt know about this.

Ben
  4.    #44  
    Hi all,

I've emailed Mapquest about the PDA site being broken, but frankly have no idea if I'll even get a response. I'm wondering if they are concentrating on all this wap crap and letting PDA slide, I dunno.

But it might help if others emailed their support bunch as well...
    Screw Mapquest...link this puppy to Google Maps!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami View Post
    Mapquest will soon be dead. I was hanging around with a group of people of differing levels of computer/web savy, and everyone laughed at Mapquest - how they haven't made any noticable improvements or innovations in YEARS.
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami View Post
    That would be outstanding. Linking D A to Google Maps would be excellent!

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Mapquest will soon be dead. I was hanging around with a group of people of differing levels of computer/web savy, and everyone laughed at Mapquest - how they haven't made any noticable improvements or innovations in YEARS.
    I still use it actually. Before I got GPS in my vehicle, I started getting directions to locations using Mapquest and since I'm comfortable with it I still use it.

I recently started using Google maps and directions when I started having problems with the Mapquest mobile site. If 1) I can't get Mapquest's mobile's site working and 2) Directory Assistant links (or whatever it does) to Google Maps then I'm done with Mapquest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post
    That would be outstanding. Linking D A to Google Maps would be excellent!
    Clarification: I use the 'Google Maps' option in DA, but how about linking to the 'Google Maps' PDA software Google is giving away??

I have downloaded this to my Treo 650 and it is an outstanding map app.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  10.    #50  
    That would be nice, and I'm going to look into it. But if they have not provided for an API or command line interface, not possible. I guess I'll have to email them and ask about it. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to drop MapQuest support as well.

Clarification: I use the 'Google Maps' option in DA, but how about linking to the 'Google Maps' PDA software Google is giving away??

I have downloaded this to my Treo 650 and it is an outstanding map app.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
  11.    #51  
    Directions page at the PDA site has been fixed.
    Here's an unpopular thing to say: You really need to start charging money for this app!

• You obviously put a lot of time, care and feeding into it's maintenance.
    • You have acquired a large number of people who use DA
    • There is nothing as good as DA out there for Palm
    • People will pay money for quality software
    • and you deserve to be rewarded for your excellent efforts.

Just my opinion!

ChickenHawk

PS- Thanks for one of my favorite, indispensable PDA apps!!
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    I agree with the statement. Though the competition has increased, DA is still what I turn to first. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I agree with the statement. Though the competition has increased, DA is still what I turn to first. Ben
    I agree as well. DA RULES.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  15.    #55  
    Well, I *DO* have a Paypal button on my site for voluntary donations, though an astonishly small percentage of folks who've downloaded it have ever hit it - and some of those are repeats, one fine person at last count 5 times - which I appreciate a lot! But the percentage of those sending in that $ is so small as to make me wonder if people really would "buy" it if they had to. I suspect one of the reasons for its popularity is precisely because it is "free", and if folks were forced to pay something, usage would dramatically drop.

There's also a few of other reasons I don't force payment - it's a hobby for me, I'm not trying to make a living at it. As such, my time is limited to spend on it, sometimes for long periods, so updates sometimes are sporadic. If I charged for it, I'd be more committed to support, which could become a burden after time. And importantly, I depend on others' web sites to make this work. As we've seen this week, sometimes they break. And I have no control over that and do not really wish to tie a "commerical" product to that uncertain environment.

But thanks for all the support!
    Rick

Here's an unpopular thing to say: You really need to start charging money for this app!

• You obviously put a lot of time, care and feeding into it's maintenance.
    • You have acquired a large number of people who use DA
    • There is nothing as good as DA out there for Palm
    • People will pay money for quality software
    • and you deserve to be rewarded for your excellent efforts.

Just my opinion!

ChickenHawk

PS- Thanks for one of my favorite, indispensable PDA apps!!
    I can't get DA 3.24 to do anything for the past couple of days. I get the error that yp.com is not responding. Will an upgrade fix it? I'm asking cause I have DA in ROM and won't update unless it will help.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Upgrade to 3.26?
    Yes, that is my question. Is 3.26 working?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Yes, that is my question. Is 3.26 working?
    Actually this is discussed elsewhere in this very same thread.

But, the problem is with yp.com not with DA. Rick is attempting to get them to fix it.

You'll find that Business queries still work, while Residential queries are the ones which will not respond.

Still wouldn't hurt to upgrade to v3.26 though.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    ChickenHawk:

Thanks for answering my question, but I just read the entire thread again and did not see this issue discussed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast