1.    #1  
    I was all set to move to the 700p, actually walked into the local Sprint store, and the model they had on display was constantly hanging up. The sales rep wouldn't try another phone, so I decided to look around the web a bit to see if this is a common problem. I've seen a few places mention that issue, and a couple of other bugs (reset loops, apps not working as well w/700 as w/650). Are these problems correctable with a firmware upgrade, or are they caused by installation conflicts with old apps., etc.?

OT- I've seen people refer to the SERO option when buying the 700p, but I've got a family plan so this didn't seem to be the way to go. I called retention and they reduced my bill by 15% saving me $22.50 (4500 minute plan), lowered 2 add'l. lines to $10/mo from $20, saving another $20, lowering the internet fees on 2 lines by $5 each saving $10, eliminating the $5 charge for the vision pack on another line, changing Nts & wknds to 7p from 8p and making it free, and adding free roaming. That's a savings of about $60/month, and I haven't bought the 700 yet. I'm still in contract and only qualify for a $75 credit, but retention said they are giving me a credit of an add'l. $100 on my next months bill. That still leaves the 700 at a net cost of $475. If I decide to get the 700p, should I call retention again and push for more, or be happy with these reductions in cost and figure they'll reduce my real cost for the phone in just a few months time?
  2.    #2  
    The more I read, I think I'll give it a couple of months for the power users to help Palm work out the major kinks.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Just get the 700p now. I never looked back to my 650.
    It is not bad at all. I love my 700p. It never freezes and it's got plenty of space for new apps and best of all EVDO.
    I have been a palm user for a long time. Trust me people love to complain about the 700p and want to vent out on Palm. I do not have problem with those people, but I do not agree with the majority of them.
    Yes there are minor bugs, but none that I have felt very frustrated about. I think 90% of those errors come from user error and incompatible software or bugs within the software and the treo hardware...something like a conflict in windows.

Just go for it and dont hold back if you want it. The update is just an update and it will come out soon. You can always get the update once you have the phone. It's no use waiting the other way around IMO.

As for getting a good deal on the phone, I have a big tip for you.
    If retention turns you down for something more than 299, then do it ebay.
    I have seen steals go on ebay.
    check it out
    http://search-completed.ebay.com/tre...QQsofindtypeZ0

then you can get a nice phone for a good deal and sell that for a couple hundred and make some money.
    A friend of mine is going the same route from Ebay, and along with retentions, you can't miss.
    at&t iPhone3G
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. I thought I've seen where unless you buy a phone from Sprint, or with a Sprint logo on it, Sprint won't let it be used on their system. Is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    I have been a palm user for a long time. Trust me people love to complain about the 700p and want to vent out on Palm. I do not have problem with those people, but I do not agree with the majority of them.
    Yes there are minor bugs, but none that I have felt very frustrated about. I think 90% of those errors come from user error and incompatible software or bugs within the software and the treo hardware...something like a conflict in windows.
    I agree fully with Camel. My Verizon 700p has worked as well as any Palm/Handspring product I have ever owned. Any time you have a platform that is open to third party developers there will be issues. I am eagerly awaiting a firmware upgrade to address a few issues, but nothing more than we've waited for with any other firmware upgrade in recent memory.

I just think its important that users like Camel speak up and let other members know that there are MANY of us who have few issues with the 700p - or the 650, or the 600 before that - that we lay at the doorstep of Palm...
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    My Sprint Treo 700p also hasn't had any major problems. I've had a couple of resets over the last three months or so, but nothing serious. The 700p is far better initially when compared to the 650 when it came out. Now, you'll see a lot of different opinions on here, but try to remember people don't come to discussion board to say, "yeah, it works fine." They come to complain about problems or ask for help.

Joe
    I'm waiting for the first firmware update because I use pTunes a lot on my 650 (and Chatter) and the 700p skips like mad when playing music in the background. If Palm fixes the database access bug (the cause of the slowness and long lags on the 700p) in the firmware update, I'll buy a 700p the next day.
  9.    #9  
    It is very true that you don't generally hear from people who are happy with any given product. I will probably do the same as 2000 Man and hold off for a firmware update to see what improvements it gives. I like to think of myself as an 'early adopter', but I guess just not too early... Thanks again for the posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I'm waiting for the first firmware update because I use pTunes a lot on my 650 (and Chatter) and the 700p skips like mad when playing music in the background. If Palm fixes the database access bug (the cause of the slowness and long lags on the 700p) in the firmware update, I'll buy a 700p the next day.
    I have had my 700p since June running Verichat and pTunes and have never seen this "mad skipping' when playing music in the background. As far as the device being slow compared to the 650 I wouldn't know as this is my first smart phone. And the experience has been great so far! Also Ebay is the way to go for a 700p if you have a family plan or are activating a new line of service. I payed a total of $95 and it was shipped overnight from Sprints warehouse. After 30 days I was able to roll the phone into my regular family plan and haven't regretted the purchase at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22
    I have had my 700p since June running Verichat and pTunes and have never seen this "mad skipping' when playing music in the background. As far as the device being slow compared to the 650 I wouldn't know as this is my first smart phone. And the experience has been great so far! Also Ebay is the way to go for a 700p if you have a family plan or are activating a new line of service. I payed a total of $95 and it was shipped overnight from Sprints warehouse. After 30 days I was able to roll the phone into my regular family plan and haven't regretted the purchase at all.
    If pTunes skips at all on the 700p when playing in the background, it's more than it does on the 650. I can do everything with music playing in the background (check email, play games, internet, etc.) and I don't get any skips. Try that with your 700p and you'll see the "mad skipping." There's an entire thread a few hundred posts long about that very problem.
  12.    #12  
    Ebay is the way to go for a 700p if you have a family plan or are activating a new line of service. I payed a total of $95 and it was shipped overnight from Sprints warehouse. After 30 days I was able to roll the phone into my regular family plan and haven't regretted the purchase at all.
    Can you give the specifics of how I would get this done? I currently have 4 phones on my family plan and don't want to add another line. Where on Ebay did you buy your phone?
    Thanks.
    If you have a 650 working fine now, just for the BT bug I would wait for a fix. It is very anoying. If you had something older than a 650, I would recommend the 700p. This all assumes you only want a PalmOS smartphone.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90
    If you have a 650 working fine now, just for the BT bug I would wait for a fix. It is very anoying.
    I hadn't read anything about a BT problem, I'll have to see what I can find about that.
    I'm interested to learn more about how I can buy a 700p on Ebay and not wind up with an extra phone line. Do people just cancel the new phone line, pay the penalty, and figure it's still cheaper than paying $500 for the phone? I'd love to hear how it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90
    If you have a 650 working fine now, just for the BT bug I would wait for a fix. It is very anoying. If you had something older than a 650, I would recommend the 700p. This all assumes you only want a PalmOS smartphone.
    Very good advice. Not having a ROM tool for the 700p is also a problem right now.
    Problem is unless you are opening a new line of service you won't be able to get the deal. Also you have 4 phones on your plan so even if you wanted to add a phone you would have to pay a penalty to remove a phone and add the new phone which is not worth it. If you buy on Ebay and cancel the service within 6 months you will be charged the FULL price for the phone plus your cancellation fee. Anyway you slice it you would have to add a new line, after 30 days contact Sprint to roll the phone into your regular family plan and do an ESN swap with the number you want on the 700p. After that it's done.

Now my sister opened a new line of service because she wasn't a Sprint customer. No hassle for her she received her 700p activated and it's what she uses today same $95 deal.
    Last edited by drei22; 08/21/2006 at 02:11 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Anyway you slice it you would have to add a new line.
    Thanks. That's what I've found talking with Sprint this morning also. I just will not pay $475 for this phone.