Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Does anyone know of a way to watch your slingbox on the treo or when this software will be available? Thanks.
    Its not currently avalible on POS.

Search "slingbox" and you'll see several posts about it. I know theres one post that actually has an email campain going to garner action from them.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Sling media has been extremely slow to support mac, and I haven't heard of any plans for palm as of now, but people are constantly bugging them about both. Hopefully they will get in gear and hire some developers to get these out soon, but I wouldn't hold your breath. The mac version has been in the works for over a year and is still not out. This type of, or lack of support for mac and palm is the most frustrating thing in the universe. Luckily the new macs run windows and mac OSX, but I still have a powerbook and a G5, so it doesn't help me. Why these companies don't want our business baffles me...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Why these companies don't want our business baffles me...
    I'm patiently waiting too (Mac and Palm) ..... all boils down to their ROI.
    Untlil there is a Slingbox for POS, use ORB. It's the next best thing and it works well and the best part is it's FREE!
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    Untlil there is a Slingbox for POS, use ORB. It's the next best thing and it works well and the best part is it's FREE!
    ORB works with a Mac?
    You can view media on a Mac but you need a PC to host the ORB server.
    Quote Originally Posted by spearl8 View Post
    Does anyone know of a way to watch your slingbox on the treo or when this software will be available? Thanks.
    I suspect that you are asking about Slingbox client for the Treo. There is currently no Treo client for Slingbox. However, the client is only half the issue; bandwidth is the other half.

I use my laptop to watch my Slingbox using Treo/PDANet to connect the PC to the Internet. I have Cingular/Edge. Edge is marginal; works well in the early morning and late evening when the chatty cathys are not crowding the air-waves. Ought to work spectacularly over EV-DO.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    All I know is I would be willing to pay for a Palm Treo Slingbox client if they ever get one developed...
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc View Post
    All I know is I would be willing to pay for a Palm Treo Slingbox client if they ever get one developed...
    By that time, I will have had to move to WM to get UMTS and will have left Palm altogether.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Though Slingbox has said that they will be releasing a Beta for Mac by the end of October... maybe this is a good sign for POS also?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/15/s...sed-to-launch/
    I watch my Slingbox on EVDO on a Motorola Q. It's not that great, honestly. It averages around 18 FPS, and pauses frequently to "optomize." It's okay for sports and stuff, but watching it more than to check an occasional score gets annoying.

It might work better with the Treo 700p...but a friend who has a 700w reports the same Slingbox reception as me.

It's nice to have - but not all that practical IMO...

Cheers!
    Larry Z.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdr View Post
    Be careful what you ask for, you might get it. In any case, around here, soon is measured in months to quarters.
    It will be available in the 4th quarter of this year. Link below:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/01/s...g-palm-client/

Dawn
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Luks View Post

Dawn
    No new news. Endgadget is hopeful but I am not buying. When I was a young development manager, one of my mentors told me, "Son, never ever talk schedule until after you have code that runs," much less put your logo on the box.

While I have run Sling to my PC over PDANet to my Treo 650 over Cingular/Edge, it really only works well early in the AM or late in the PM when the voice traffic is low. Therefore, this client is really of most interest to the very small 700p user population. That said, unless it is too big, I will probably run it on my 650.

Incidentally, I wish my cable service worked natively the way it does on my new Sling client. My new sling client lets me define what one might call direct tuning buttons, like push buttons on a car radio, for frequently used channels.
    Cool!
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/14/2006 at 09:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I won't hold my breath...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Luks View Post
    Dawn
    as someone who followed this for a while and was hopeful until about 4 months ago, I would say that it is more like 4th quarter of never.

Why would they? not only is the palm os base losing market share, palm isn't offering 1/100th the help for development that microsoft is.
    4th Q is almost gone. where are you Sling for POS.

The latest rumor I heard was possibly by the end of the year (strangely missing was what year) <grin> Blake was on Dish's Tech Forum last night and gave a nice demo/info of the Slings. Mentioned some updates, availability for handhelds with Windows Media, etc ... mentioned Symbian .. but nada about POS.