1.    #1  
    I was wondering if anyone on here has tried streaming either shoutcast music, XM music, Sirius, or any of the available music that you can use on the 700p to their car via either FM transmitter or bluetooth.

Also too is the quality decent since you are using EVDO? Just thought i'd ask because this would be a bit better for a person like me because even though I have an XM to Go, it's an extra piece of equipment to take in the car along with the antenna, and since it is to go, I don't mount the antenna in the car.

I figured if people have tried this with the Treo, it might be worth it.

As far as bluetooth goes, they make 3 receivers for the cars that have bluetooth, and only the pioneer and sony have it truly built in, but the sony says the info below...

Music streaming
    Imagine being able to stream your music wirelessly from the audio player in your bag to the stereo in your dash. Upcoming music phones and players will take advantage of Bluetooth technology to ensure a world free of connecting cables, auxiliary inputs, and plugs. With the MEX-BT5000, you'll be primed to incorporate the latest gear and enjoy seamless connectivity with new music players. And the MEX-BT5000 offers playback control for essential features, like play and pause, over any wirelessly connected sources.

Now the deck is $399, but we all know it is retail, so on ebay or places you can get a deal, it may be a good steal.

My biggest question though, was the sound quality from streaming. I don't own a 700 yet, so I can't take advantage of the EVDO, but if most people are happy, I don't see why it wouldn't do well in your car stereo. Bluetooth would be the way to go, but since most don't have the deck, the FM trans will have to do. And I know it is only when your on the EVDO network and not out in the boonies you can take advantage of it, but it would be nice to try.

Any one have success?
    I've used both 700s (w and p) to stream XM. My experience, which was similar with both units, was while it works, it is more of a convenience than a long term solution. It's fine for listening to XM for short periods of time but if you really want to listen for more than an hour get an XM specific device. I say this because the stream is not uninterrupted - mine would stutter or pause intermittently which was ok for spoken word but very annoying with music; it was fine for a 30 minute drive to the airport in a rental car but not for longer term listening.

If you are planning to use it instead of an installed XM receiver (i.e. you won't be doing a lot of moving the device from car to car) you will be disappointed. Since XM almost gives away the receiver and you need to subscribe whether you use it or a 700 the higher quality XM device wins easily.

If you are looking for portability and are an XM addict, stick with XM2Go or get a newer mp3/XM unit. You'll be a lot happier.

If you really want one device and streaming is most important over other phone / pda features, a WM device with Selectradio is the better solution, since it is easier to access XM with Selectradio (plus it has a huge list of other streaming stations) and WM does a better job of supporting streaming file formats.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I use the headphone jack of the 700p with a left/right rca out to my deck.(The setup also works with my ipod. This is good sound quality as its a direct connection, but you do need a deck with an audio in and it does involve using a wire, but I love it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I use the Belkin FM transmitter to listen to Shoutcast streams while going to and from work. I plug my treo up to a car charger & the FM transmitter. The only difficulty I have found is choosing stations since the shoutcast web page is not easy to navigate on the treo while driving! So...I got on my pc, went to the shoutcast site, found some stations i liked and saved the .pls files to my SD card. On the treo, in PTunes, you can browse your playlists (the .pls files) and select the ones you want to listen to. I select a few so I can switch back and forth between them.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanfna
    I use the Belkin FM transmitter to listen to Shoutcast streams while going to and from work. I plug my treo up to a car charger & the FM transmitter. The only difficulty I have found is choosing stations since the shoutcast web page is not easy to navigate on the treo while driving! So...I got on my pc, went to the shoutcast site, found some stations i liked and saved the .pls files to my SD card. On the treo, in PTunes, you can browse your playlists (the .pls files) and select the ones you want to listen to. I select a few so I can switch back and forth between them.

Hope this helps!
    I think the same can be done with the built-in Internet Radio bookmarks of Pocket Tunes.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, the XM to go I have is the obvious choice, but for short drives I wouldn't mind testing the Treo. I have the XM to go via built in FM, so it would be the same, except as jcoffey said, you get interruptions, and true how we can't naviagate as easily with the device since it is so small compared to choosing stations easier with the "to go" unit.

Saving the playlists would be the best bet, and I do that on shoutcast. Bookmark what stations I like then I have easy access to them.

I just figured running EVDO things might be better than the 650.