Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm has updated their site to indicate that their GPS kit now comes with Navigator 6. Listed program improvements include:
    Better coverage with the latest Tele Atlas maps with coast-to-coast, cross boarder, door-to-door navigation between USA and Canada
    Arrival time-based planning so you can calculate when you'll reach your destination-even factor in delays
    Speed limit information for the roads you're traveling so you'll always know the limit, even between signs
    1GB memory card is pre-loaded with maps of the U.S. and Canada-no synching or downloading required
    Improved point-of-interest searches help you find nearby restaurants, gas stations along your route, attractions in the town you'd like to visit, and more, with greater speed and ease
    Safety Lock lets you view less menu options while driving for better safety
    The Tomtom site is still showing Navigator 5.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/15/2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Palm site is still has the $249 package with TT 5. You're right though, they have updated (added) this kit with TT 6 and the first mention of a Sirf III receiver.
    TomTom 6.0 Navigation Bundle available for 650, 700p and 700w.
    i'm using the Palm pays back credit toward it, hopefully it will work better than the TT5 nightmare (with the 700p)

http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/palm_treo_tomtom.html
    I've never bought a gps system for the Treo, but really like the looks of this. They say all the maps are on a 1gig SD card. I use the Treo to listen to my mp3 files on a 4 gig SD card while I'm driving. Wonder if you can use Tomtom and listen to mp3 files at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson54
    Wonder if you can use Tomtom and listen to mp3 files at the same time?
    I have not tried that with TomTom5 but I cannot imagine the Treo has the power to make it work. TomTom is a great program that I use a lot but it uses a lot of resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I have not tried that with TomTom5 but I cannot imagine the Treo has the power to make it work. TomTom is a great program that I use a lot but it uses a lot of resources.
    I've tried it, it works briefly but then it becomes too much for the Treo to handle. At some point too much convergance isn't necessarily a good thing.
    I see the bundle includes a revamped GPS unit, it looks like a rebadged Holux GPSlim 236. A superb little unit in my opinion.
    I think I asked a dumb question. The 700p doesn't multi task. I like having an all in one device. Hate lugging an ipod for music/audio books and a seperate phone for pda. If I buy Tomtom 6 bundle I guess I'll have to decide which is more important getting driving directions or listening to music/audiobook.

I thought with the Treo 700p/ptunes and a 4gig sd card, I was finally going to be able to eliminate carrying around two devices (Treo and Ipod, plus 2 headsets, plus 2 different chargers). Now I'll need 3 devices (Treo, Ipod, GPS, 2 headsets, 3 chargers).

What a pain!!!! Windows mobile lookin' better every day-it does something simple that's been around for years...multi-tasking.
  9.    #9  
    Actually, I don't have a problem listening to music and using Tomtom Nav5 at the same time on my 650. Ptunes plays in the background very nicely. I even listen to shoutcast occassionally, but that becomes difficult while traveling due to signal dropout. I have the Seidio cradle which powers the phone, the GPS and outputs audio (I use FM or cassette adapters depending on circumstances). It does require a lot of support devices, but windows mobile phones will need most of them as well.
    I have a Treo 700p and I listen to mp3s while driving using my TomTom 5. I also stream shoutcast when I'm around an EVDO or 1x area. It is really cool. The only thing is that you need to shut down anything else that runs in the background such as Verichat and Chatter and also exit your launcher if you have one such as Zlauncher. Then you are all set to go.

Al
    Right now there is only 1 review out there and it doesn't mention whether it can play mp3 and use Tomtom 6 at the same time without any problems. Be interested to see a few more reviews before buying. The first review gave it a 4.8 outa 5. Few more review like this and I'm going to buy it.

I couldn't find it in the specs, but does anyone know if it can be voice activated. Trying to drive and type in info at the same time ain't easy, even with programs like Kmaps.
    Thinking back on it - I think where I ran into trouble playing MP3s and using TomTom at the same time is that I wanted the sound for TomTom on for voice directions. Are y'all turning the voice prompts off while playing MP3s?
    I think I asked a dumb question. The 700p doesn't multi task. I like having an all in one device. Hate lugging an ipod for music/audio books and a seperate phone for pda. If I buy Tomtom 6 bundle I guess I'll have to decide which is more important getting driving directions or listening to music/audiobook.

I thought with the Treo 700p/ptunes and a 4gig sd card, I was finally going to be able to eliminate carrying around two devices (Treo and Ipod, plus 2 headsets, plus 2 different chargers). Now I'll need 3 devices (Treo, Ipod, GPS, 2 headsets, 3 chargers).

What a pain!!!! Windows mobile lookin' better every day-it does something simple that's been around for years...multi-tasking.
    With TT5, I turn on TT to get my starting direction. Then, if I have 5 miles or so to the next turn, I turn on Pocket Tunes. About a mile before the turn, I turn TT back on. It normally takes 5-10 seconds to figure out where I am, and re-calculate the route, but nothing excessive.

John
    Right now there is only 1 review out there and it doesn't mention whether it can play mp3 and use Tomtom 6 at the same time without any problems. Be interested to see a few more reviews before buying. The first review gave it a 4.8 outa 5. Few more review like this and I'm going to buy it.

I couldn't find it in the specs, but does anyone know if it can be voice activated. Trying to drive and type in info at the same time ain't easy, even with programs like Kmaps.
    I have entered about 10 locations as Favorites, but wouldn't want to try to type an address while driving. Even using the Contracts program is more than I like to do.

John
    $300. Ouch.
    Is there an upgrade path for Nav5 customers? I remeber old Nav4 owner could get a free upgrade for Nav5.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    Thinking back on it - I think where I ran into trouble playing MP3s and using TomTom at the same time is that I wanted the sound for TomTom on for voice directions. Are y'all turning the voice prompts off while playing MP3s?
    No, Tomtom voice prompt are loud enough that I can hear them even with Ptunes playing. Pretty much like having a passanger give you directions while listening to the radio...
    I do that all the time, playing music and using TomTom at the same time. I did that on my 650 and now my 700p. The audio is connected to speakers in the car. The music plays, and before the turn TomTom voice will also speak up.

The only problem is the lowest TT voice is still higher than 70% of pTune volume. I have to set TT to lowest voice volume, pTunes to highest and high on my car speaker.
    Will TT Nav5 owners be able to upgrade to TT Nav6 for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Will TT Nav5 owners be able to upgrade to TT Nav6 for free?
    LOL.

That is not even the question. Will they be able to update without buying another GPS receiver? If so, when?
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast