Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    I have TT5 with the MKII gps. I will be upgrading the software as soon as I can. Does anyone know if the new Holux reciever will have any advantages over the MKII receiver with TT6?
    I have no specific information. However, I would expect it to be more a function of BT than TT or the native GPS. In any case, the market price of the Holux is low and the availability good (days).

I too expect to upgrade software as soon as I can. I have a Holux, which I use in one car and in rental cars, and an iTrek wihich I use in the other. With TT5 I do not see a significant difference between the two. I will report any difference that I see but do not expect any.

In any case, Treo/TT is a very inexpensive way to get high quality GPS navigation. Adding GPS to a Treo is a very inexpensive way to add signigficant value to a Treo. The cost is falling and it is already worth whatever it costs.

I expect to spend 7 days in a strange city this month. If I did not have my Treo/TT, I would pay $70- for Never-lost. That is what I paid for my Holux and I will still have the Holux when I leave. Incidentally, I saw a review of the new nav system available for Avis/Budget. The review said that it was enough better than the Hertz system to make one change one's rental car choice.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/09/2006 at 09:21 AM.
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    I have TT5 with the MKII gps. Does anyone know if the new Holux reciever will have any advantages over the MKII receiver with TT6?
    I have the MKII as well but have not tried the Holux. Both are SiRF III receivers so I doubt there will be major differences between them. I like the very thin profile of the MKII and it has served me well so I will just wait for the nav 5 to 6 upgrade offer, whatever it may be. Of course, backups are good so if the price is right the Holux would be a good investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Let us know how that cable works for you. It looks a little short between the Treo and GPS.
    Okay. The illustration is a little misleading. There are really two cables. The main one is more than four feet long overall. It goes from the power to the Treo. At about three feet there is a Y, one foot to the Treo and six inches to a connector. The second cable plugs into this connector on one end and to the Holux on the other; this arrangement allows Seidio to have one cable per phone connector and n for n GPS, or other, devices. This second cord is a little over three feet. So, while the illustration makes it look as though the Treo and Holux must be within about a foot, in fact they can be more than four feet apart.

[I have a cable for the Holux which does not work; will charge but shuts down the GPS. Therefore I checked to make sure that this does not have the same problem.]
    Any chance you can post a picture of this cable? I think the longer length would be good so you have more flexibility in locating your Treo and GPS. My treo is to the right of my steering wheel. I am not sure when the GPS is going yet.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Any chance you can post a picture of this cable? I think the longer length would be good so you have more flexibility in locating your Treo and GPS. My treo is to the right of my steering wheel. I am not sure when the GPS is going yet.
    OK.
    Newbie Dumb question: do I need data service? I have the 700w, but no data service, can I still use TT6
  7.    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete411 View Post
    Newbie Dumb question: do I need data service? I have the 700w, but no data service, can I still use TT6
    I don't have TTNav6 yet, but you don't need data to use Nav5 so you shouldn't need it for Nav6. You won't be able to access their traffic data or use some of their other plus feature, but won't have a problem with basic navigation, etc.
    Well I've finally done the "upgrade" from 5.2 to 6.0, here are my initial impressions (that may not be obvious or previously mentioned):

Pros:
    + In general, much improved POI usability (searching)
    + integrated contact lookup finally.
    + long awaited map update

Cons
    - slower (on my treo 650) than 5.2. Slower to startup. Slower to exit. Slower to map a route. Im guessing this is a consequence of supporting a huge map??
    - slower screen updates? The UI appears less fluid, more choppy. Anyone else notice this? Update: I tried using the older map (567) and it seems to update on the screen much faster.
    - Unless im missing something, no real 'upgrade' path. I lost all my old personal POI's, as i didn't find a way to migrate my old info. Might be a good thing, since the new POI's are much more abundant..
    - zip code lookup, but doesn't work right in canada? it lets me search the first 3 of 6alphanumerics of a (canadian) "postal code".. which is useless.

Things that haven't changed:
    - contact lookup is still weak in the sense that it doesn't decipher addresses from your contacts very well
    - for street name lookups, i still get 'copies' of the same name formatted differently, but are different.
    eg. "Pender St E" and "E Pender St".. they're the same street, but Tomtom treats them as 2 different streets! So often if i cant find a valid address in one street, i need to go back and try the other variations of spellings...

Is it worth the upgrade? Honestly, I cant say at this point. Really a better/newer map was all I really wanted. So far the map has updated streets, but it still contains many mistakes that I found in the last (v567)... I guess I'll need to play w/ it more!
    Last edited by Comatose; 09/13/2006 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nptski View Post
    Not sure if he is right, I ordered anyway for my 700P. We are going to Italy for 3 weeks in Oct. and I know the phone won't work (I'll borrow back my daughter's GSM 650 for communication) but I can turn off the phone and enable BT to connect with the receiver. If he is wrong, I'll probably return it. Anybody know if that is correct info?
    Thx,
    Jeff

I apologize if that was covered in the thread, didn't have time to read the whole thing.
    No world maps on the DVD, just US and Canada to reply to your post title.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson54 View Post
    By the way, what the easiest way for me to load the maps that came with it on the 1 gb card to my 4 gb sd card?
    This question has been asked many times, and I was wondering the same thing until my unit came in and I read the instruction manual. If you insert the DVD, the map installation program opens on the screen. The first option is to install software which willl install the Navigator software on ANY card in your SD drive, after which you can send maps to the SD card as well.

I installed the program and certain maps on my 4GB SD card, which I had 1 gig free on.
    I currently have a 700wx and am looking at getting a GPS setup going:

When is TomTom6 going to be out for just software purchase? I already have a Seido car mount so im not interested in a bundle. Is it hard to install the software itself once you get it?.. I take it you need a flash card to copy from the cd's. Also.. can anyone recommend a good/affordable BT GPS I could buy that has all the newest technology?

Also, does TomTom work okay on the square screen of the wx? Do I need a special version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    Well I've finally done the "upgrade" from 5.2 to 6.0, here are my initial impressions (that may not be obvious or previously mentioned):

Pros:
    + In general, much improved POI usability (searching)
    + integrated contact lookup finally.
    + long awaited map update

Cons
    - slower (on my treo 650) than 5.2. Slower to startup. Slower to exit. Slower to map a route. Im guessing this is a consequence of supporting a huge map??
    - slower screen updates? The UI appears less fluid, more choppy. Anyone else notice this? Update: I tried using the older map (567) and it seems to update on the screen much faster.
    - Unless im missing something, no real 'upgrade' path. I lost all my old personal POI's, as i didn't find a way to migrate my old info. Might be a good thing, since the new POI's are much more abundant..
    - zip code lookup, but doesn't work right in canada? it lets me search the first 3 of 6alphanumerics of a (canadian) "postal code".. which is useless.

Things that haven't changed:
    - contact lookup is still weak in the sense that it doesn't decipher addresses from your contacts very well
    - for street name lookups, i still get 'copies' of the same name formatted differently, but are different.
    eg. "Pender St E" and "E Pender St".. they're the same street, but Tomtom treats them as 2 different streets! So often if i cant find a valid address in one street, i need to go back and try the other variations of spellings...

Is it worth the upgrade? Honestly, I cant say at this point. Really a better/newer map was all I really wanted. So far the map has updated streets, but it still contains many mistakes that I found in the last (v567)... I guess I'll need to play w/ it more!

I completely agree with your review. The map updates is all I wanted and it seems that has improved. But the speed and interface in general is slower. One thing I did was break up the map a bit. So I loaded west coast and east coast as two different maps on my 2GB SD card from the DVD. I kept the USA map on there too, but generally use either the west or east coast maps. The speeds are much better doing it this way. I could probably narrow it down further if need be.

I've also run into good ole' dbcache problems too with TT6 and Docs-to-Go loaded up. So given I paid for the whole lot and really only needed the maps (still miffed about that but I really needed the maps since I travel so much) I'd say the upgrade was on the whole, worth it....but barely.

I'm still waiting for someone else to come out with something better and soon. TT has done nothing but provide a nice UI to keep my biz as their customer support is abysmal a we can all see how loyal they were to their existing loyal customer base.

I'd expect the 700P to be faster than the 650 with TT6. Not sure if anyone with a 700P would care to comment?
    Has anyone noticed better call handling......recieving a call while using tomtom
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    OK.
    Can I see that pic of the dual headed cable?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Can I see that pic of the dual headed cable?
    Too big. TC will not let me upload the photo. I tried to use it today only to find that it is for a 600, not a 650. I am in Texas and all my workarounds are in CT.
    Quote Originally Posted by str8bucs View Post
    Has anyone noticed better call handling......recieving a call while using tomtom
    On the 700p:

If a call comes in while Tomtom Navigator is active, it shows up on the screen like any call. If you ignore, you got back to tomtom, if you answer, it exits tomtom and there is no integration. You have to launch tomtom all over again, and have it connect via bluetooth to the GPS receiver. I wish there was better integration.

If you initiate a call first, then open tomtom, the call will keep going. When the call is over, tomtom will keep running and it will show the call ended box on screen with the duration of the call. If during the call you hit the red button, it ends the call and doesn't turn off the screen or interfere with Tomtom.

Same goes for texts. If you get one, it pops up on screen. If you hit ok, you stay in tomtom. If you hit reply, you exit tomtom and go to the messaging application.

The only thing that works well is chatter if you use the pop up feature of messages. The emails display on screen, you can reply or hit ok to close them, all while Tomtom is running.
    Last edited by albertb; 09/17/2006 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added type of Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me View Post
    One thing I did was break up the map a bit. So I loaded west coast and east coast as two different maps on my 2GB SD card from the DVD. I kept the USA map on there too, but generally use either the west or east coast maps. The speeds are much better doing it this way. I could probably narrow it down further if need be.
    How did you split the map? Is there a utility somewhere that can be used to divide large maps into smaller ones? I would REALLY like to do this but have not been able to find a way...
    You can't migrate your personal PQI? That's ridiculous.
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    You can't migrate your personal PQI? That's ridiculous.
    Maybe talking about favorites. If you have your own POI categories, they should be transferrable. Favorites are map dependent and I'm not sure where they are actually stored:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=78716
    For some of the headaches that people have mentioned in this thread, one thing is for sure: its very easy to setup and it fundamentally works out of the box without complications or software conflicts (so far...just knocked on wood). This is the first gps nav system I've ever owned and its been very useful in helping me get around my new home city. I've been running this package for about 3 weeks now and I have some Likes and Dislikes about this system.

Bluetooth --> Although I've read about BT conflicts with other devices such as HandsfreeLink (Acura), I have not experienced one problem. My T700 picks up my HFL in my TL immediately upon starting the car. Then I activate the GPS and the Treo picks up the nav signal. Oddly, I still have the phone signal bar indicator on my car's readout suggesting the HFL system and the gps are working through BT simultaneously. But I understand this is not possible with this version of BT so I don't know what gives. Further, I receive HFL calls (through the car's system and speakers) when using TT gps. Can't explain it but I'm not complaining.

3-D Mapping --> This has saved my bacon a number of times especially considering the audible directions are sometimes inaccurate. This app would not be too useful without the 3-D mapping which offers an easy driver's perspective view of your route.

Ease of use --> Not a techie? Want to simplify and minimize time spooling up on a new gadget or application while leveraging the power of your Treo? Comparatively, I've spent about ten times as much time learning how to use an email app (Chatter) versus this app.

General accuracy --> Very easy to use overall. The audible directions are not always accurate but the visual directions have not failed me (yet). Diverting from the recommended route (purposefully or otherwise) is not a problem for this app and it redirects very efficiently.

DISLIKES:
    Contact lookup --> No company name lookup?? WTF? Only last name? Even a free app like Directory Assistant allows us to lookup by company name. I wish TT could use the Palm contact lookup interface. I don't know about you guys but I have a ton of contact entries with just a company name and no contact name. And forget about it if you have an unusual address in your contacts db like "suite #254" or "apartment 3B". TT cannot process some of these and you're entering the address manually. But that could involve exiting TT to access your Contacts db to remind yourself of the company/business address which means you have to restart TT again and have the system reacquire the GPS signal all over again (as others have mentioned but I'm risking the redundancy here because it is that ridiculous).

Sluggish --> acquiring gps/bluetooth signal and getting around in the application.

I'm sure I'll find more pros and cons during more intensive use during several of my upcoming business trips to unfamiliar territory. Hope this info is helpful.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast