Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Interesting. On my 1G card I do not have room for that map; may be why I overlooked it. Would be worth moving to a 2G card. However, TT is locked to my card and resists all attempts to move it to another.
    Thats strange. Mine came preloaded on a 1gb card, but I created another on my own 1gb card. I have room for TomTom, the map, and 1-2 BackupMan backups.
    I tried putting all of the available maps on a 2gb card, but TomTom took forever to recalculate routes, so I went back to the 1gb.

TomTom's installer is one of the most unfriendly apps I've run into in ages. I can't remember how I was even able to downgrade to 5.1. I remember having to move files around using Filez to even get version 5.2 to run in the first place. You should be able to install it on any card of your choosing. Try moving the app from your card to the Treo's memory using Filez, then put in another card and reverse the process.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek View Post
    Thats strange. Mine came preloaded on a 1gb card, but I created another on my own 1gb card. I have room for TomTom, the map, and 1-2 BackupMan backups.
    Just curious, where did you get Nav 5 maps preinstalled on an SD card? All I've seen advertised is the CD version with the lame installation program. Did it come as part of a bundle or just a standalone software SD?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    Just curious, where did you get Nav 5 maps preinstalled on an SD card? All I've seen advertised is the CD version with the lame installation program. Did it come as part of a bundle or just a standalone software SD?
    Direct from Palm. They were shipping the CD(s) version up until May, but when I went to order in June, they had switched to the card/DVD version, and upped the price from $179 to $299.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdc View Post
    I picked mine up yesterday only to find that it did not include the "Product Code" which is supposed to be printed on the DVD sleeve or included on a "Product Code Card". The DVD sleve was blank and there was no card. I recommend checking for this 15 digit number before leaving the store. No Product Code - No working TT6. It does look good and GPS receiver picked up signal quickly.
    My product code is printed on DVD sleeve, no more product card. Once you break the seal, you would see it printed. What does palm retail store rep. say when you complaint about missing product code?
    Last edited by treoluv; 08/25/2006 at 02:34 AM.
  5. Tdc
    I showed the retail store folks my blank DVD sleeve and then they opened another bundle and saw that it DID have a product code label on the DVD sleeve. They gave me the bundle with the code and I left the bundle missing the code with them (the whole time the salesperson was on the phone with a manager type trying to explain why I needed a new bundle - I left with my new bundle and they were still on the phone sorting it out).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdc View Post
    I showed the retail store folks my blank DVD sleeve and then they opened another bundle and saw that it DID have a product code label on the DVD sleeve. They gave me the bundle with the code and I left the bundle missing the code with them (the whole time the salesperson was on the phone with a manager type trying to explain why I needed a new bundle - I left with my new bundle and they were still on the phone sorting it out).
    I do not know your rate but at mine you have tripled the cost of the package.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    I see the bundle includes a revamped GPS unit, it looks like a rebadged Holux GPSlim 236. A superb little unit in my opinion.

Just brought the new GPS kit from Palm and it works great!
    I would like to use the GPS fro hiking and walking.
    Two questions:
    1. Is there a case to carry the GPS receiver??
    2. I am also looking for driving maps fro Europe and Hiking maps for NA & Europe

Thanks, John
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Does this version finally pronounce road names?
    Also, does it finally say "Exit Left" when you're at the exit, and not half a mile away?

Thanks,
    -Bigbot45
    Thought I would chime in to give another data point on the TomTom Navigator 6 as I've found other's posts useful in helping me make my decision.

I received mine this past week. This is my first gps so I don't have much to compare it to.

The installation on my Treo 650 was pretty easy. Just plug in the 1G SD card. I did have to go to the web to get the software registration code. It was pretty straightforward. The 1Gig card is almost completely full when shipped. I deinstalled all but the western maps and the major cities maps and have about 340Meg to spare- which is more than I can see me using in the near future.

The map coverage does seem to be sparce in some areas. I live in a more rural area of Seattle and some of the very rural roads show up on the map but aren't named as they should be... so it makes going to an address a challenge.

The navigation part of the software works pretty well for as much as I've used it (just a few days). To answer bigbot45's question: it does not pronounce the road names, just an Exit Left. Also, I am able to listen to music with realplayer just fine while the navigation/gps is working.

The GPS Receiver works well for me. Seems to acquire the satelites quickly. Nice and compact. I did notice that it had some trouble (a few minutes) acquiring satelites yesterday when I was traveling on the freeway at highway speeds. Don't know if that's typical. It would be nice if they had a little velcro patch on the unit to keep it from sliding around on the dash. Something that I can remedy pretty easliy.

I am also successfully using the GPS receiver with Pathaway 4, which allows me to use topo maps. I had no problems connecting with Pathaway and am pretty happy with that program as well. I went ahead an purchased it yesterday as I'm going on a hiking trip in a week. Pathaway doesn't come with maps but there are a couple ways you can get them. I initially tried the Trails.com site and was able to successfully create maps there. Calibration of maps takes a little more effort but does work pretty well. The topo map that I've calibrated for my home area seems to be right on. The only downside of Trails.com is they are looking for a yearly subscription. I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for that yet so I'm looking at other options.

Hope that's useful.
    sward
    Can someone tell me if TomTom would work for navigation on the water. Don't really need directions, but would like gps mapping for inshore waterways (not the ocean, but right on the coast. Would TomTom give me good enough maps of the rivers and creeks and inlets? I got lost last night.
  11.    #111  
    TTNav5 isn't really set up for water navigation. The maps do show water bodies but Nav5 has a strong tendency to track on roads & streets even in the walking mode, so if you are anywhere near shore, it will put you on a nearby street. I've used it on Lake Tahoe and on CalTrain. In both instances, Nav5 kept adjusting the GPS position to the nearest street if there was one anywhere in the vicinity. Of course, Nav6 may be different.
    I got the TomTom 6 Friday. I'm to a newbee to gps...never owned one.

I concur with everything sward says in his post. I've never loaded a software that was so easy to use. All the reviews said it was as easy as putting in the sd card and turning on the bluetooth navigator box. I thought, sure maybe for techies, but not for a newbie like me. Well, was I wrong. It was that simple!

This software is worth just buying the Treo for ! Sure, the screen is not as big as in car systems, but with the Treo you can actually walk around in an unfamiliar town with it. Wow! The only thing that could be better would be a Treo with built-in gps. It just can't get much better than this. Hopefully, they have updates as needed so the maps and POI's don't get outdated.

By the way, what the easiest way for me to load the maps that came with it on the 1 gb card to my 4 gb sd card?
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson54 View Post
    By the way, what the easiest way for me to load the maps that came with it on the 1 gb card to my 4 gb sd card?
    I suggest a PC with an SD card reader. You should just be able to copy the files over to a PC folder and then back to the 4G SD. That's what I do with Nav 5 but I haven't seen any detailed feedback regarding Nav 6 yet. What are the files & folders that come on the Nav 6 SD? And please, let us know how it goes...
    Last edited by jrfaris; 09/04/2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    I suggest a PC with an SD card reader. You should just be able to copy the files over to a PC folder and then back to the 4G SD. That's what I do with Nav 5 but I haven't seen any detailed feedback regarding Nav 6 yet. What are the files & folders that come on the Nav 6 SD? And please, let us know how it goes...
    Just in case you weren't aware of it, the Palm GPS unit comes with a free USB SD cardreader. Perfect for transfering maps from one card to another.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Navigator 6 is on a dedicated card, correct? That means having to swap out a card in order to use it.... I'd rather use N5 on my own card; perhaps TomTom will put out an update for Navigator 5 someday.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    Navigator 6 is on a dedicated card, correct? That means having to swap out a card in order to use it.... I'd rather use N5 on my own card; perhaps TomTom will put out an update for Navigator 5 someday.
    You should be able to put the tomtom files on your own card and use them. I've seen a review somewhere that said you could but just haven't seen any specifics. Nav 6 comes with a map DVD so there are many more map files than are contained on their 1GB SD. The update to Nav 5 is Nav 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    You may install Navigator 6 on your own SD card, along with whatever maps and non-Navigator files you'd like.
    Kenji
    So any word as to whether Nav 5 owners can update to v6 for free yet??
    Quote Originally Posted by durex View Post
    So any word as to whether Nav 5 owners can update to v6 for free yet??

This is the only response I've gotten from Tomtom regarding upgrading from version 5 to 6:

Unfortunately, if you purchased your package through Palm, you will need to contact them regarding upgrade options that may be available to you. We anticipate that NAVIGATOR 6 will be available in the US in early October 2006 through TomTom. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Not very promising, eh?
    I am planning to create my own bundle using the NAVIGATOR 6 stand alone software for $149 and the Holux GR 236 on ebay for $80. My the total would be $230 which is a $69 savings over the Palm unit.

This looks like a nice combination that should be available next month.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)