Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Has anyone heard with the software only will be available. I'm on TomTom's website right now and I don't see anything about 6.0
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I found Tomtom Navigator 6 exclusively distributed by palm, not even on tomtom website itself!
    http://store.palm.com/product/index....family#featBen

Just wonder how accurate are these maps compare to Tomtom 5?
    hmmm . . . I am going to have to try the music and TomTom thing again since it is working for everyone else. What about TomTom and audible - others having good results with that as well?
    There are a TON of tomtom6 threads spread across a bunch of sections. Though it's a hassle (and perhaps not entirely intuitive), I'm merging them all with the thread in the bluetooth accessories section so all this good stuff is in one thread.

Apologies to those who dislike having threads moved / merged, but it's better to have all this stuff in one place.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife
    Go over to PalmInfocenter for my review of the product.
    Good Review Thanks for the additional info. Makes it tempting to spring for the new receiver and kit but will have a hard time convincing the wife. Too bad the upgrade option will be delayed due to the agreement with Palm.

Quick question: With all of US & Canada on the card, what is the benefit of the other maps from the DVD? Are they still included by state or region? Do they have increased detail or other benefits?

Please keep us updated as you continue using TTNav6.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/17/2006 at 10:23 AM.
    I called TomTom yesterday to see if I could upgrade my TomTom 5 software to 6 and I was told that at this point they were only selling it with the unit and that there was no update sale yet. So I guess we are gonna have to wait.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I called TomTom yesterday to see if I could upgrade my TomTom 5 software to 6 and I was told that at this point they were only selling it with the unit and that there was no update sale yet. So I guess we are gonna have to wait.

Al
    Palm is so good about doing the right thing for its customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    hmmm . . . I am going to have to try the music and TomTom thing again since it is working for everyone else. What about TomTom and audible - others having good results with that as well?
    tomtom and audible work fine for me.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    I know this is a TomTom thread, but for what it's worth,

Treo 650 + Garmin GPS 10 + City Navigator 7 + 4 GB SD card (kudos to the custom ROM gurus) + PocketTunes + LauncherX + phone calls = no problems.

Voice guidance and PocketTunes audio work together, and phone calls stop both. When the call is over, both voice guidance and PocketTunes audio come back. I can load the entire US map data base on the SD card and have over 2 GB left for mp3s, or load fewer maps and have more mp3s.

No complaints except that the Garmin voice guidance volume is too low (opposite of TomTom). Well, that and that with the GPS unit on, other bluetooth devices can't be used at the same time.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I'm using Tomtom 5 and listenning mp3 via p-tunes through car stereo system without any issue. The voice of Tomtom 5 mixing with mp3 just fine, if you prefer which over the other, just simply increase the volume itself.

I have all USA and Canada maps (about 1.4Gb on SD card) and whole bunch of mp3 on the 4Gb SD card. BTW, maps version are 567 and Tomtom version is 5.12.

The only trouble with Tomtom 5 is its maps. The maps are 5 years behind and they don't tell you what exactly exit to take (e.g North, East, South, West or A, B..)
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    The only trouble with Tomtom 5 is its maps. The maps are 5 years behind and they don't tell you what exactly exit to take (e.g North, East, South, West or A, B..)
    This is my problem too - the maps SUCK! I have written and complained to TomTom about their maps before my Palm version - I think back with the origininal TomTom device. They have been saying "new maps are coming" for about two years now. I don't think I've read a review yet that doesn't point out that the maps are out-dated. So what does TomTom do? Instead of updating their loyal customers as they have been promising they F$CK us over and do an exclusive with Palm!

I love having TomTom on my Treo but I have about had it with these pure marketing pukes who don't seem to give a rats a$$ about post-sale support. Screw them!
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me
    This is my problem too - the maps SUCK! I have written and complained to TomTom about their maps before my Palm version - I think back with the origininal TomTom device. They have been saying "new maps are coming" for about two years now. I don't think I've read a review yet that doesn't point out that the maps are out-dated. So what does TomTom do? Instead of updating their loyal customers as they have been promising they F$CK us over and do an exclusive with Palm!

I love having TomTom on my Treo but I have about had it with these pure marketing pukes who don't seem to give a rats a$$ about post-sale support. Screw them!
    It looks like I'm going to get the Tomtom 6 after reading two rave reviews. It seems my two main questions have been answered. Namely, the ability to listen to mp3's/'ptunes and use a 4 gig sd card while using Tomtom. Although, this has only been done with Tomtom 5, I assume it will work with the latest version.

One big problem I'm forseeing is the updating of maps and upgrades. Judging from you boardies Tomtom is atrocious in not updating their maps and every time they have an upgrade you have to start all over an buy a totally new system. Gives me the quivers.

This begs the questions: How often are maps from anybody, Tomtom, Google, Garmin, etc. get updated? Every day, every month yearly? Why can't you simply update a map by downloading new updates from the net, so they are alway "fairly" current?

Do other GPS software require one to buy a whole new system (hardware & software) everytime they update and the new versions won't work with the older versions?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never owned a GPS system and this Tomtom 6 looks really good and from the 2 reviews so far, very resonably priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me
    So what does TomTom do? Instead of updating their loyal customers as they have been promising they F$CK us over and do an exclusive with Palm!

I don't believe the exclusivity story. TomTom WILL (I believe) make a stand-alone software version available at least for other WM5 devices, and I can't imagine them shipping that without the 40k Palm prc on the DVD. Worst case, exclusivity lasts for a few months then we all get it.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I remember seeing a news story a year or so ago about how the two main mapping compaines (the ones used by TomTom, Garmin, etc.) go about updating their systems. Basically they hire people to drive around and verify everything. Obviously that takes a while to compile enough data to offer an update.

I imagine the bulk of navigation systems are car-based (non-web connected), so updates are expensive - require pressing of new CDs or DVDs. On-the-go navigation is still pretty new but as people purchase more devices which can be updated over the web, I imagine you will see more map updates, provided new information is available from the mapping companies.

The bigger question is how often is new mapping information available? Once it is available, it's up to TomTom, Garmin, whoever, to have the development resources to incorporate the maps into their applications.

While I would like to update my TomTom5 maps without needing to buy TomTom6, I do not expect to be able to do that because it would probably be cost-prohibitive for TomTom to keep supporting further development of version 5. At the same time, $400 - $1,000 for on-the-go devices is not chump change. I would think/hope that as they sell more of those devices you could get at least one mapping update before a company dropped support.
  15. Tdc
    Does anyone know if TT6 will be tied to a specific device? If I register it on my 650 next week, will I be able to use it on a new Treo (750?) in six months?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdc
    Does anyone know if TT6 will be tied to a specific device? If I register it on my 650 next week, will I be able to use it on a new Treo (750?) in six months?
    I don't know for sure but I imagine you will not have a problem moving it to another supported device. You could do this with TomTom5 by re-registering through the Treo or TomTom website. What you cannot do is have it running functional on two devices at the same time. TomTom also limits the number of times you can switch devices within a year, but you can contact them to have that waived if necessary.
    You get to register on 2 devices, after that you need to call them.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson54
    ...Why can't you simply update a map by downloading new updates from the net, so they are alway "fairly" current?

Do other GPS software require one to buy a whole new system (hardware & software) everytime they update and the new versions won't work with the older versions?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never owned a GPS system and this Tomtom 6 looks really good and from the 2 reviews so far, very resonably priced.
    To answer your questions:

1. B/c Tomtom is suk. They don't have that option. Maps update is not always FREE and they can make more MONEY by selling the bundles (aka TT6, this case)

2. NO. you can run it with whatever hardware (GPS receiver) brand that you like. To name a few: Globalsat BT-388, Globalsat BT-359, and Oncourse.

3. Those 2 reviews are just based on what palm says on its website. There is no further info about maps, POIs in details as real reviews. I don't think TT6 bundles is reasonable price, either. You can find Holux 236 around $100 nowadays, meanwhile, with $10, $11, or $21 more you can get a better receiver e.g Oncourse, Globalsat BT-388, or Globalsat BT-359 respectively.

More TT5 info:

TomTom reps' explaination about inaccurate of their maps are not TRUE. They just used the older maps of Tele Atlas.
    You all can see Google Earth (free version 3.0.762) uses the data map source from NAVTEQ, Tele Atlas which appears as the same source as Tomtom.

Today, I drove to Vienna Rexall Drug center, add: 150 Maple Ave E, VA 22180. (Near intersection of Maple Ave and Lawyers)
    TT5 told me that I've reached my destination while I was in the middle of nowhere (about 2 miles away)
    Google Earth is "fairly" accurate. See the red arrow for google destination and the blue arrow for actual destination on attached pics below.

TT6 update:
    Today I called Tomtom, Palm Online Store, and Palm Retail Stores (Reagan Airport, Union Station in DC and Linthicum MD) None of them could NOT tell me:
    1. There is only ONE map is pre-loaded on included SD card (so I can drive cross country/border w/o switching maps) or groups of maps like on TT5.
    2. Maps accuracy. Date of maps data.
    3. What's in the DVD?

Tomtom and Palm reps said they have no further info beside which is stated on palm website.

Palm retail stores said the same things and answer NO to my extra question if they have a demo kit.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...h/a7a3d746.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...h/f8ae6ea9.jpg
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Yes, you will be tied to at least palm device(s), I guess, base on the fact that Palm has sold a disable Tomtom 5 software. It is made to run only palm OS device.

I bought a TT5 bundle from palm and when I switched from treo 650 to Siemens SX-66 (WM2003), I couldn't install it over, meanwhile, I could install my GF Tomtom 5 stand alone software (bought from semsons.com) on both OS!
    Last edited by treoluv; 08/19/2006 at 04:02 AM.
  20.    #60  
    Those 2 reviews are just based on what palm says on its website. There is no further info about maps, POIs in details as real reviews.
    If you read hkklife's review, he provides a few actual database comparisons:
    "The base map of TT6 is vastly improved, expanded and updated over the previous version. With TT5 my subdivision's street didn't even exist (it was built after 2000) and several local businesses that opened in the past half-decade were absent. I'm glad to report that the map data in TT6 appears to be approximately two years old, give or take a year. TT6's Points of Interest (POIs) are also quite detailed and can be searched by proximity to one's current location, one's home address or the destination.
    I only hope he provides additional details as he uses TT6 more.

Today, I drove to Vienna Rexall Drug center, add: 150 Maple Ave E, VA 22180. (Near intersection of Maple Ave and Lawyers)
    TT5 told me that I've reached my destination while I was in the middle of nowhere (about 2 miles away)
    Map database are not fool proof. I believe the actual address of Vienna Rexall is 150 Maple Ave W (according to MapQuest) and TT5 shows the pharmacy POI at that address. This looks like a case of operator error.
    All databases are prone to such problems when streets have direction designations. Sometimes the designations are before the street name, sometimes after and sometimes missing all together. Our Toyota OEM Nav unit also suffers from this problem in many cities.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/19/2006 at 09:49 AM.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast