Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Sorry I meant it under the context of gps devices. .a 'gps mouse' often refers to hardwired (usb/serial) gps modules.. (which I suppose look like mice)

[QUOTE=Wilsonb;1101203]
    Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    On the contrary I've had nothing but good things to say about the holux 236. It has quite a flexible design in such that
    - you can use it as either a BT gps receiver or a mouse via USB cable
    - you can upgrade its FW

Use it as a mouse? (Is this a joke?) I don't think it has log caching. After using it , im starting to feel cache logging is more and more important. That makes it useful to use even by itself.
    Also, think I might return it if it's not compatible with other systems, like PC, Etc..
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Heya bro,

No prob...I took it literlay....Imagine using that as a mouse via satelite tracking//
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Follow up from my previous post...
    I now am working with a Treo 700p. I do get 2 out of 3 connections to the TomTom Plus services while in Tomtom 6.

It took support almost a week to "read my message correctly, requesting a new activation code for the new Treo.
    It's obvious the support team is disconnected from the manufacutrer. It would be nice if someone came out with a hack to disable the nagging Legal NOtice at startup and fixed the network time out issue with a simple delay.

Bringing out all the cons to the device... But I truly think it's worth the money. They did do a good job on the software..Better than Palm could have produced themselves. The features and usefulness of the software is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    My Tomtom 5-6 comparison review..

These test were done with a Sprint Treo 650, after a Hard reset. (No additional software)- to be fair. (Also using Jabra Bluetooth ear piece.)

Let me start by saying that this is not a detailed review. It is just my experience with it that stood out in my opinion.
    Let me pref this by saying, I can build computer devices with a microscope. But when it comes to directions, I can get lost in my own back yard... I've been told, I am the worst at directions.

Buying a GPS, has been on my mind for sometime now. After reading positive reviews with TomTom I decieded to take the plunge.. $ 299.95 (Treonauts).
    Buying TomTom GPS package gave a whole new value to the Treo. I wished I would have gotten one years ago.
    I can say, I love my Treo even more now..

I first purchased TomTom 5 from a local Fry's Store here in Austin, TX. ($340) after taxes.
    Got home and of course did not read any instructions.. (I think that's prob a guy thing.)
    After first installing it on a TT3 (because the 320X420 screen size)
    TomTom 5- 146mb of space used with my Texas Map installed. The CD it came with was simple and easy to follow. However, BT problems.. losing and finding GPS device.

After working with it, I noticed it had other options like Traffic and TomTom Plus features that required an Internet access. I then decided, a Treo would be the best solution.
    However, the stringent copy protection that TomTom uses is over board. Since I activated my TT3 device, I could no longer install it on anything else. I did some research on this and apparently, many out there are fed up with it and even said it increases the desire to crack / hack the software out of frustration. I was concerned about trying to get TomTom support after reading about a lot of complaints. I submitted a request, (No direct email available. Have to create account then summit a support request via webpage.) Within 2 days, I received a response with the activation code for my Treo.
    Installed and was on my way.
    But, since I was not pleased with the outdated maps that came with TomTom 5 and the activation nightmare, I decided to return it.

I decided to buy the TomTom 6 package, since it seems to be specific for Treo models.
    I found TomTom 6 from Treonauts for less. I must say and give kudos to them. I ordered online and received my package before the weekend. (I will be doing more business with them in the future.)

Experience with TomTom 6-
    I inspected the included 1gb SD (Fat16 format) card that came in the package. The SD has all the software needed to cross the country. (Has all of United States/ Canada maps). It looks different than an average SD in the back of it. More contacts. I think it's obviously for copy protection/hardware key.. I might be wrong on this though. Will try and use a copied 1GB Sd card in near future.

Since I have Fat32 drivers installed on my Treo 650 rom, I assumed that formatting the TomTom SD card to Fat32 would increase the speed of use. Well it crashed 8-9X and got worried. After reformatting the SD to Fat16 and putting all the files back on (956mb), it stopped crashing.

There were times that the Treo's Blue Tooth would lose connections and would have to rediscover. It think this has something to do with the Treo 650 and BT problems.

The TomTom 6 was all on the SD card and didn't need anything else. (As far as I could tell, so I didn't bother opening and installing the software on my Windows box.

1.)One problem though, The Device Code was located in the included sealed CD Folder. This is required to activate software.

2.) Using TomTom 6 with a Treo 650 on Sprint network in Austin, TX: Connection using any Internet services like TomTom Traffic, or any TomTom Plus, I would Error connection messages 2 out of 3 times. It seems the time-out for TomTom internet software on the phone is set to soon. It would come back 2 sec. later and say.;

Could not connect to TomTom Plus service.

Please check the wireless data connection on your mobile phone.

This seems to be the major problem so far. I called Sprint to complain about the slow Vision speeds. I ended up buying a Treo 700p. Once that comes in, will give feed back on any problems using TomTom 6 with this device.

3.) When clicking "Message Notice" (Asterisk in top left corner) while in Tom Tom 6, it went to standard Treo phone ap. It seems to work alright. But after the call ended, it did not return to Tom Tom 6 app. ( A little annoying while driving.)

4.) Tom Tom try to nickel and dime customers. If you bought a TomTom device, you already paid a lot of money for it. They charge for for optional Celebrity voices. After down loading, noticed that these aren't even the real celebrities, and a bad attempt at that..

5.) The maps are still outdated. I thought going to TomTom 6 latest, would give me new maps. I was disappointed when roads that were build even 4-5 years ago are still not there. According to TomTom, I was driving on the grass off road..

6.) There are no instructions for the Bluetooth GPS device itself that I could find. Simple question is, can I keep it on and plugged in the car all the time? It does get warm. Still waiting for an answer from support.

7.) TOMTOM, if you ever read this, PLEASE give us the option to TURN OFF the annoying Legal disclaimer NOTICE screen. At least have it turn off after using TomTom 10X or something. It's a big annoyance when trying to quickly start up the GPS software. Every time you have to accept the legal notice.

I am looking for other TomTom Buddies to try out other features. Please contact me if interested in trying out those features.

Back to the other question. Is there a way to disable the annoying Legal notice everytime I start Tom Tom 6?
    Customer 10/10/2006 10.30 PM
    Using Sprint PCS vision.
    Also, is there a way to disable the annoying Legal notice at starting Tom Tom 6?
    Customer 10/10/2006 10.18 PM
    Im using a Treo 650 on Sprint PCS vision network.
    Response 10/10/2006 05.02 PM
    Dear Mr Bradley,

We apologize for our oversight in your question about the legal notice.

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the legal notice from appearing on your screen every time you use the product. We apologize ofr any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    - Show quoted text -

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
    Response 10/10/2006 04.45 PM
    Dear Mr Bradley,

Unfortunately, it sounds as though the issue you are having is probably due to the fact that the Sprint network is not currently compatible with our PLUS services. While you may be able to make a connection from time to time, it is not uncommon to see that the network disconnects. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

At this time, we have a team here in the US who are diligently working towards incorporating some of the networks such as Sprint and Verizon into our range of compatible networks. Unfortunately, we do not currently have a time frame when we will be able to determine if and will this will be implemented.

Please let us know if we cna be of further assistance.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Sorry for the late response, i hadn't been on the forum for a while. The TomTom Home program has been working for me, but it's more just a utility to move files from either the DVD or your computer to your SD Card where the TomTom software was installed. I was hoping that you could enter POI's or the like directly through it, or check out the maps on the PC, but no luck.

As far as logging into the TomTom site directly from it, i had no problems. It might be because i had previously connected to TomTom plus directly from the software on my phone.. might have read my credentials from that?
  5.    #205  
    No pricing yet but Tomtom has begun updating their United States web site to reflect the coming availability of Nav 6 SD and CD versions. Also, there is some descriptive information about new features in Nav 6 on their support pages.
    What's new in Navigator 6?
    hi guys,
    i have found TT6 on my treo 650 incredibly slow when using the North_America.mid 1.2GB map. it is slow to calculate the route, and also slow to recalculate when i go off course. very annoying.

i found another map, USA_and_Canada.mid, v1109, 850 MB. a little smaller, but same problem. I have gone back to using my regional map again, it is like 230 MB, a no slowness as above.

i have read some of you are doing great with the entire US map. any suggestions for me? thanks, ash.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashvash View Post
    hi guys,
    i have found TT6 on my treo 650 incredibly slow when using the North_America.mid 1.2GB map. it is slow to calculate the route, and also slow to recalculate when i go off course. very annoying.

i found another map, USA_and_Canada.mid, v1109, 850 MB. a little smaller, but same problem. I have gone back to using my regional map again, it is like 230 MB, a no slowness as above.

i have read some of you are doing great with the entire US map. any suggestions for me? thanks, ash.
    I had problems at first when I tried to copy the files from inc. Original TT6 SD. ( You would think this would work..)
    Then I used my fat32 SD card and installed maps off the included CD.

Now success w/ Fat32 and speed, many voices...

ashvash,
    Did you say you got maps other than what the CD had or what came on SD? Newer?

Im using sprint 700p.

I also had lag when accessing internet features w/ TT6.. and would get error messages. I explained to TT support that it was the slow 650 netwrk and should change the TT netwrk timeout..
    They said it's a known problem with Sprint & carriers.. Lame excuse tech supp. Pull$hit..
    It works great now with Sprint 700p EDO.

FYI: I have cool links for it.. Even to change the menu & free voices.. Maybe should start new general thread for that stuff.
    Last edited by Wilsonb; 10/31/2006 at 07:51 PM.
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    I had problems at first when I tried to copy the files from inc. Original TT6 SD. ( You would think this would work..)
    Then I used my fat32 SD card and installed maps off the included CD.

Now success w/ Fat32 and speed, many voices...

ashvash,
    Did you say you got maps other than what the CD had or what came on SD? Newer?

Im using sprint 700p.

I also had lag when accessing internet features w/ TT6.. and would get error messages. I explained to TT support that it was the slow 650 netwrk and should change the TT netwrk timeout..
    They said it's a known problem with Sprint & carriers.. Lame excuse tech supp. Pull$hit..
    It works great now with Sprint 700p EDO.

FYI: I have cool links for it.. Even to change the menu & free voices.. Maybe should start new general thread for that stuff.
    hi found the ~850mb map online, version as above. wilson, please explain more on the fat32 and "speed". do u mean a fast card? thanks. and yes, please start a thread about cool menu stuff. thanks
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashvash View Post
    hi found the ~850mb map online, version as above.
    I guess, Im trying to find out if the map you have is newer / better/ different than what came on the SD.
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    How does mapopolis compare to TT6? Does anyone know? Especially with the mapopolis "navcard"?
    Pilottreo1
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Heya Pilotreo1

You use Puppylinux ?
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    LOL.

That is not even the question. Will they be able to update without buying another GPS receiver? If so, when?
    The date on the quoted post is August 16, 2006. The answer is still "no." It is quite sad. It is no longer about Palm; they are selling a hardware package in competition with Palm but still no software and maps package, much less an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    The date on the quoted post is August 16, 2006. The answer is still "no." It is quite sad. It is no longer about Palm; they are selling a hardware package in competition with Palm but still no software and maps package, much less an upgrade.

TomTom says they will offer the software upgrade in their December Newsletter. Price will be $50
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    TomTom says they will offer the software upgrade in their December Newsletter. Price will be $50
    My post was prompted by the November newsletter dated, November 28, 2006. Said another way, we are still one month away. If the price is right, the timing sucks.
    heard a rumor that sprint does not support TomTom, any know.
    Thanks
  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhavens View Post
    Thanks
    There is no real relationship between Tomtom Navigation and the phone carrier. Navigation does not require a phone connection. However, there have been some problems with Tomtom plus features (traffic, etc) on the Sprint system. I have Nav5 and Sprint on a 650 and have never had any real problems connecting to traffic data but the data itself isn't great. Tomtom is supposed to be improving this as well as the connection process through the Sprint system.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhavens View Post
    Thanks

Maybe I'm not reading this correct, but why in the world would Sprint support TomTom? Support meaning tech support?

Are you ref. to a Sprint model Treo supporting it?
    I have Sprint 700p working great with it.

Details only help in life.,,,
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    There is no real relationship between Tomtom Navigation and the phone carrier. Navigation does not require a phone connection. However, there have been some problems with Tomtom plus features (traffic, etc) on the Sprint system. I have Nav5 and Sprint on a 650 and have never had any real problems connecting to traffic data but the data itself isn't great. Tomtom is supposed to be improving this as well as the connection process through the Sprint system.

Ya, I mentioned this back on treocentral when I had a 650. The problem is the internet connection is to slow on 650 and times out. Explained this to TomTom tech support and got a dumb reply about Sprint phone not working with TomTom.
    Got Treo 700p and proved that it was the slow internet of the 650 being the problem. Their software times out to fast..''
    '

Ohh, about TomTom is supposed to improve anything, wishful thinking... Customer support is almost (but not near) that of Palm support. TT6 tells me theres an update for a month now and when trying to update , it says there isn't one.. go figure.. I don't expect much from them even though we spend a lot of $$$$
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    TomTom is still not accepting orders for TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 - Software & maps of the US/Canada on DVD. However, Semson is. When I ordered at $149- I got an instant rebate of $20.

However, I understand that existing TomTom 5 customers can get new maps for $50-.

All this said, the "deal" between Palm and TomTom is a good reason for not doing business with either.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Nice, just upgraded from TT5 to TT6 for $60 shipped (includes tax). Some people were confused as to whether the new maps come with TT6 or not but it's clear that they do.

I think less than half the new price is fair. Now if they offer frequent updates to the maps that would be super!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011