1.    #1  
    I'm a newbie, this is my first Palm phone.

After I installed Filez, VolumeCare and TCPMP I started to notice battery drain (even with phone service off) much worse than before - does anyone know if any of these apps could be the culprit?

Much thanx in advance!
    Hi daswerve! Welcome!
    It is interesting. I have Filez and TCPMP on my card so I do not think it influences battery at all... if you do not watch movies in TCPMP all day long of course I use VolumeCare as well but do not see any considerable drain. Try to turn it off for a couple of days and tell us the result.

Also there is a problem with GSM module. If you call some phone number and hear busy ring tones (e.g. number was busy or your call was rejected) and then dial again any number (or the same) first you will hear busy tones for a few seconds and only then calling tones. So if you got to a busy number/rejected call and did not call somewhere else (to get passed busy tones), your battery will drain much faster!!! Some do not have this problem, but some do, I do not know the reason. Test it for yourself.
    Welcome! I have the same apps on my 700p & 650, no battery probs.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    The battery life of my Treo 650 fluctuates, meaning sometimes a night's standby takes about 10% (points) off the charge, while the GSM radio is off. See my drain and Battery Problem, Fast Drain

I can reproduce this fast drain battery depletion by the following steps:
    - Silence system sound
    - Add a trusted Bluetooth device including a paring key: Bluetooth/setup devices/trusted devices/add device/nearby devices/tap device/enter passkey
    - In my case these BT steps causes the system sound turned on, while the system sound menu says it's off (prefs/sound and alerts/general//system volume)
    - sometimes it stays on, sometimes it disappears after a while
    - turn the system sound off
    Most times the first time this happens, there will be no fast drain. After some usage and then adding a new BT device (above) the Treo 650 will get in the depletion state.

Some have reported a system sound bug, see here and radio state

It seems that in my case the Bluetooth is, as a audible side effect, turning on the system sound too.However, in reality is is setting my palm in a battery depletion mode which might or might not have to do with the system sound bug.

Can anybody confirm this?
    The reason can be that your bat is new. After some time it will be more stable
    Check to make sure your BT is off. It's a pig on battery power.
    Discoverable, might use more juice.. Just having BT on itself does not.
    It cannot be Bluetooth I think, since the fast drain does not happen as long as the system sound bug has not been activated. I use BT a lot and it is always on. A night's stand by, takes about 2% point off. When the sound bug is active, stand by takes about 10% points. Both have BT on and GSM radio off.
    Dick99999,
    What sound bug are you talking about? Where can it be found?
    How about message 4?
    Oh I did not notice it. I do not have a sound bug, I turned system sounds off in preferences and they never appeared again. I just suppose some software/hacks might use cpu processes and consume battery faster. I think I should compare my Treo overnight consumption when with all my apps installed and in a clean state after a hard reset. For example I use a TealMaster/TealLaunch/TealPad and it deliberately slows the Treo, I see it when switch from launcher to phone application for example, starting programs and so on. When I turn TealMaster off, Treo works faster. Plus Callfilter, Ledoff, Keyshades, UnderGuard are running, all it makes Treo work slower than when just after a hard reset!!! And I disabled Volumecare because do not need it much. Power consumption may also be increased because of running apps!!!!!
    Dick99999, thanks for that info & link. I just added it to my Sprint Treo 650 & Sprint 700p, & it's working great!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    ...... I do not have a sound bug, I turned system sounds off in preferences and they never appeared again. I just suppose some software/hacks might use cpu processes and consume battery faster. I think I should compare my Treo overnight consumption when with all my apps installed and in a clean state after a hard reset......
    I just did that. Hard Reset my 650, no apps. Just turned system sound off in preferences. Then add a Bluetooth device (setup devices in Bluetooth), with a pairing security code.

When Ok'd the system sound is on since I hear every 5 way navigator step.

Go to system sound in preferences: system sound shows off in the panel but you can hear the system sound when navigating. Turn it on and off and it is really off again.
    Yes, I had it sometimes before, but I do not remember what would cause it. Because I did not see it for a long time yet. Also I use BT sometimes (with my PC or other phones) and no sound bug was observed. I hardly think this bug would be the reason of a battery drain however.
    My assumption is that it is the Bluetooth bug causing the battery drain. And as a side effect, probably by overwriting some memory, the bug causes the system sound turned on too. That's what I tried to explain in
    System sound bug by Bluetooth .

So it could be the other way around: it is not the turning on of the system sound causing the memory drain, but the bug causes the battery drain and causes the sound to be turned on also.

Anyway, my 10% point drop in battery charge over night, only happens when the system sound is turned on by this bug. If not it's only a drop of about 2%. BTW the real reason I started to investigate this, is that I still have resets and that's why I subscribe to the memory overwrite by the bug.
    As for me, I always turn Bluetooth off after I used it, it is never turned on permanently on my phone.
    Ok, I charged it completely yesterday and left it from 3:30 to 12:30 - the battery showed 95%, so I lost ~4% during 9 hours.
    I had GSM on, BT off, and the following soft running: Callfilter, Callrec (auto recording incoming calls), KeyShades, LEDoff, TealMaster/TealLaunch, UnderGuard, VolumeCare.
    Nex time I will turn the soft off or make a hard reset and leave it for the same time.