1.    #1  
    Aside from the inMotion and BoomTube speakers featured in the store, what kind of speakers do you guys use for music on your Treos? Where do you get them from and approx how much?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o2bnclemson
    Aside from the inMotion and BoomTube speakers featured in the store, what kind of speakers do you guys use for music on your Treos? Where do you get them from and approx how much?
    First, what's your budget for speakers? You can get portable speakers from nearly free to hundreds of dollars. Secondly, do you need battery-powered option so you can tote them with you or are they going to stay in one place powered by AC so batteries aren't important?

How much Hi do you want in your Fi? There are as many ways to answer your question as if you had asked "what kind of car should I buy?"..

Keeping in mind that no matter what you want to hook to a Treo for better music listening than its tiny rear speaker, your choices basically boil down to:

(in no particular order)..

- non-powered cheapie speakers like the kind that come tossed in for "free" with most pre-packaged desktop computers

- powered speakers, typically a three-piece system (with subwoofer) that run off an AC wall wart (made by a bajillion companies and vary in quality from awful to spectacular)..

- as above but also battery powered for portability (generally fairly decent if not spectacular sound, i.e. the Boomtube)..

- an FM transmitter that'll take the Treo's output and broadcast it (across a short range) to your home stereo or any nearby FM radio / boombox (not "CD-quality" since FM is capped by the FCC at 16kHz top end)..

- regular headphones

- hybrid headphones (play music and take and make phone calls with one unit)..

- cheap earbuds (like the kind Palm throws in the Treo's box)

The determining factors as to what you end up buying boil down to:

- how much you want to spend

- what quality of sound (volume, frequency response, bass, clarity, accuracy of reproduction..) .. you expect / demand or are willing to settle for

- where and how you intend to listen (alone, or for groups, or in an office, in a car, sitting in a cornfield.. whatever)..

So, be more specific as to how much you want to spend, what quality of sound you're looking for, and other particulars. Then it'll be easier to make some product suggestions.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I've heard good things about these:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10786
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    ThinkOutside has revived the boomtube (which they invented) and upgraded it. PcMag's review sounds really good...