Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone used this evidently new app? I'm not sure if what is on Handango is the new version as it is listed under the Treo 650. The article mentions an expansion of the application which implies that there was something there before. A search on TC doesn't make it entirely clear if what people were using previously was a Mino web based app or this java based app.

http://w3t.org/u/wsr
    Did you install the java app?

It's on their page

http://www.minowireless.com/mino/MINO_treo_guide.wow

I don't have IBM JVM now, maybe somebody else can install it.

...go to your Palm’s Java VM, Midlet List, Install> type in this url: http://getmino.com/wap/dev/java/midp1/MINO.jad
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Did you install the java app?

It's on their page

http://www.minowireless.com/mino/MINO_treo_guide.wow

I don't have IBM JVM now, maybe somebody else can install it.
    Thanks, I do have the IBM JVM installed but wasn't sure this is what Mino needed (didn't read everything completely). I just wanted to check here first before I installed it. I did read somewhere where many countries were about 2 cents a minute which sounds very good to me.
    Dude, install it and grab some screenshoots.
    It's AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the headsup

Al
  6.    #6  
    Dude, install it and grab some screenshoots.
    To be honest, I'm a little scared to install it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    It's AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the headsup

Al
    Is it? Darned, that sounds like an enthusiastic endorsement! How does it work? I have the IBM JVM that works with Opera Mini, do you think that will work, or did you install it a different way? I see that there is a browser based option but I like the idea of using it from contacts which I imagine is only available on the app itself. This could be a big deal for some.

Thanks for trying it out!
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/16/2006 at 11:17 AM.
    I am using it the with Java runtime enviornment I installed for kmaps and opera. It looks like the program (java program, or if you user their website from blazer to dial) will ask for the number, then call you, then connect with the destination.

Seems like it uses your regular minutes as well - which is not a big deal. I was under the impression it would only use data.

Can anyone clarify and let me know if I'm misunderstanding how this works?

Basically MINO acts as a middle server that calls both parties.

Full installation instructions can be found here: http://www.minowireless.com/mino/MINO_treo_guide.wow

Also it seems like the contacts list is not your treo built in contacts, you have to program numbers seperately into this program.

For the cheap rates, this is all worth it in my opinion. This might be better than VOIP since the sound quality is almost that of a regular phonecall.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    This is interesting..
    albertb: what happens if someone gives you a call (regular cell voice call) while you're chatting on Mino? Does it interrupt your Mino call nicely?
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I'm not sure, it hasn't happened yet. I would imagine it interrupts, it seems to use the Treo as a regular phone.
    Basically you tell it the number you want to dial. The server calls your phone with an Unknown ID phonecall coming in, then calls the other person and connects. It's as if you are on a regular phonecall.
    (unless they integrated it into the treo to make it use the phone interface).

I just checked my minutes, it did use a minute of my time, therfore it's a regular call and not data.
    Ok here goes my mini Review:

I installed all the Java files and then from the Java app I entered the URL of the location of the app and it installed it from there.

http://getmino.com/wap/dev/java/midp1/MINO.jad

Then, the stupid part:
    I had to go on their site and sign in. It's not that bad, but I never got the confirmation email. I tried to do it for a second time, but nothing. So I had to call them and ask them to resend me the email. I thought it was my spam filter, but I got the email they resend. Now, just when I thought I was all setup the java app asked me for a PIN number and I never got that number. So here I'm calling Chuck again. He was very friendly and gave me my PIN number. OK, for some reason I had fate in this app even after going through all that. So I entered an international phone number with 011+ and it didn't work. So what I had to do was to remove those numbers and I was all set to go.

So, I was using my free credit and seeing how it was making a connection and then nothing happened. I was like WTF? Do I need to do something? Then my Treo was getting an incoming call from the number I wanted to call. It was Mino telling me that I was getting connected to the number I dialed. The person I called wasn't there so I had to call somebody else.

On my second try I was waiting for Mino to call me, but it never did. I got a voicemail though and it seemed like my Treo sent the call to my voicemail and it was my Dad saying, "Alo Alooo..." but the quality was not too good.

So that was my bad, because I had Verichat running in the background so I was using my data connection when Mino called. So I disable all apps running in the background that use data such as Chatter and Verichat.

Now, I had no credit so I added some money and called my wife's Dad and it was AWESOME. The quality on both ends was just as good as a land line.

You guys need to try it. I think this service is gonna get bigger since it has a lot of potential.

Feel free to use me as a referrel so both of us can get credit on our accounts my email is BeLion007 @ aol . com

Thanks,

Al
    how cheap is it to call Switzerland???? I don't know if I look at the right info but it's $0.29/ min. That I think is expensive. I found one around here a while back call www.jajah.com or something like that. it's on $0.02 to call switzerland , england, france, spain. But you have to use your treo to go to their website, input your cellphone number then input you destination number. after you click connect your cell will ring then you pick it up, 10 second later you are talking.
    jajah doesn't work with my CDMA Treo. If I am on the jajah website and dial a number, jajah will call me and that number. But the jajah call will go to my voice mail and I won't get it.

BTW iSkoot is coming out with an official Skype client for phones.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Ok here goes my mini Review:

I installed all the Java files and then from the Java app I entered the URL of the location of the app and it installed it from there.

http://getmino.com/wap/dev/java/midp1/MINO.jad

Al, thank you for the detailed review. It sounded like you went through quite a lot. I am going to try it but probably not right away, your experience sounded a bit intimidating (I was hoping a bit more for plug and play). When I do try it I definitely will provide them with your email for the extra credit.

By the way, what sounds like the best system so far (but, I haven't tried it) is OneSuite.com which others on TreoCentral have written about. It is evidently very easy to use. I would prefer not to have to remember to disable other programs before I make a call, so I may use this one first (although it may end up being more complicated than Mino for all I know).
  15.    #15  
    BTW iSkoot is coming out with an official Skype client for phones.
    Good news! I believe someone else came out with a Skype client but I heard that it didn't work very well. I'm surprised that it is taking so long because I really think Palm based Treos will be around for while yet, to say the least, and there is a lot of them. Skype itself should support us.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyjust
    how cheap is it to call Switzerland???? I don't know if I look at the right info but it's $0.29/ min. That I think is expensive. I found one around here a while back call www.jajah.com or something like that. it's on $0.02 to call switzerland , england, france, spain. But you have to use your treo to go to their website, input your cellphone number then input you destination number. after you click connect your cell will ring then you pick it up, 10 second later you are talking.
    Yes, I think you did look at the right info. I too was surprised to see the rate for Switzerland, fortunately for me, the countries I would be calling are 2.2 cents per minute. Here are the rates for anyone that is interested:
    http://w3t.org/u/wv3
    yeah. If the rate for European country are a little cheaper I think more people will use the program. I have to say they do have really nice interface and the convenience of calling straight from your treo, but as you said before it seem to use your minute on your plan, if they can do so it only use data only it will be awesome. Unfortunately at this time I don't know anyone from China cuz that seem to be the cheapest rate of a bunch. I do call Switzerland and Thailand often ( I pay average of ˘5 for Thailand and ˘7 for switzerland per minute) if they can come close to what I pay now I would switch in a heartbeat.
    You can call the following countries for 2.2 cents:

Argentina
    Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    Chile
    China
    Colombia
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Estonia
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Hong Kong
    Hong Kong - Mobile
    Hungary
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Japan
    Korea, South
    Luxembourg
    Malaysia
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Panama
    Peru
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russia
    Singapore
    Singapore - Mobile
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    UK
    United States Venezuela

Pretty much all the Americas and Asia plus some European countries. I think it covers all places that I need to call. It works pretty good for me.

Al
  19.    #19  
    Keep us posted on how you like it Treolo.
    A few more updates on Mino:

Now that my account is all setup and I can pretty much call anybody I want without a problem I have found a few glitches. If I call somebody by mistake and I do not stop the connection soon enough my phone will ring and if I ignore the call, it will still go through and the other party will still receive a call from me..!!! On my side the call will go to voicemail and later on I will get a voicemail alert and hear the other person saying "Hello... Helloooo..." Damm they need to fix that. It is not a big deal, but it consumes your credit. So it is probably better not to ignore a call but to let it go through and hang up so it only consumes one minute of your credit and not like 3 minutes.
    Also, I've found that their site has a problem with the refering a friend feature. I have contacted them and they are fixing it.

Overall, I'm really happy with this service. I highly recommend it.

Al
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast