Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    A few more updates on Mino:

Now that my account is all setup and I can pretty much call anybody I want without a problem I have found a few glitches. If I call somebody by mistake and I do not stop the connection soon enough my phone will ring and if I ignore the call, it will still go through and the other party will still receive a call from me..!!! On my side the call will go to voicemail and later on I will get a voicemail alert and hear the other person saying "Hello... Helloooo..." Damm they need to fix that. It is not a big deal, but it consumes your credit. So it is probably better not to ignore a call but to let it go through and hang up so it only consumes one minute of your credit and not like 3 minutes.
    Also, I've found that their site has a problem with the refering a friend feature. I have contacted them and they are fixing it.

Overall, I'm really happy with this service. I highly recommend it.

Al
    Yup, what he said happened to me and I was like "huh!!?? I hung up though " got the call in my voicemail. but other than that, this program is absolutely awesome. the rates to the countries I call are cheap. So I'm good.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyjust
    how cheap is it to call Switzerland???? I don't know if I look at the right info but it's $0.29/ min. That I think is expensive. I found one around here a while back call www.jajah.com or something like that. it's on $0.02 to call switzerland , england, france, spain. But you have to use your treo to go to their website, input your cellphone number then input you destination number. after you click connect your cell will ring then you pick it up, 10 second later you are talking.
    Actually with Mino
    It's $0.29/min if you call a MOBILE phone in Switzerland
    And $0.02/min if you call a LANDLINE in switzerland
    So. I guess the price is the same with ww.jajah.com
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    Actually with Mino
    It's $0.29/min if you call a MOBILE phone in Switzerland
    And $0.02/min if you call a LANDLINE in switzerland
    So. I guess the price is the same with ww.jajah.com
    Ooops, quite right! I must have been in a hurry. The price list's layout is a bit confusing but, it's pretty clear.

Well, at that price, I will now reconsider calling my old flame Maria.
    Guys feel free to have me as a referrel BeLion007 @ aol dot com

Thanks,

Al
    I'm not a big international caller, so "good enough" rates are fine with me as long as it's a simple process to connect and I "pay as I go" (rather than get hit up for monthly fees when I never use it).

Gorilla Mobile (http://gorillamobile.com/) is pretty simple - you call a number, get a dialtone and dial the number you want to reach. Rates are probably higher than the ones quoted here, but they are decent and only require signing up and paying a $6 annual fee. You can register 10 phones.

The thing I don't like about it is I can't dial directly from my address book (*might* be able to rig something with TakePhone but haven't tried), and it works with caller ID which could be spoofed. I do prefer just dialing a regular number, getting a dial tone and dialing direct rather than the convoluted method mentioned in this thread, but if I made lots of long international calls I might reconsider for the savings.

...Though seeing this on the Mino page scares me a bit:
    MySpace Top 100 200,000 Song Lyrics Get a FREE Laptop! FREE XBox 360 Million $ Home Page
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    That is not the real website of Mino Wireless. That is just some crap from a redirect to page has added. The real site is:

http://www.minowireless.com/

And I agree with you. It sounds a little complicated, because I had problems getting the emails from their system, but after that I'm really happy with it. Once I have the people I want to call on my contacts all it takes to talk to them is just one click on their names and voila..! I'm good to go. Yesterday I called Japan for 1 hour for almost 1 dollar. That was good savings for me. My wife spent $5 in a calling card for only 45 minutes the other day.

I love Mino...!!

Al
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    That is not the real website of Mino Wireless. That is just some crap from a redirect to page has added. The real site is:

http://www.minowireless.com/

And I agree with you. It sounds a little complicated, because I had problems getting the emails from their system, but after that I'm really happy with it. Once I have the people I want to call on my contacts all it takes to talk to them is just one click on their names and voila..! I'm good to go. Yesterday I called Japan for 1 hour for almost 1 dollar. That was good savings for me. My wife spent $5 in a calling card for only 45 minutes the other day.

I love Mino...!!

Al
    Ok! I bit the bullet, it's done.

I made my first call with Mino to Japan, but had to leave a message because the party was out. The answering machine came through with amazing quality though. Of course, I was so excited, I had to come here and tell you guys about it immediately.

The installation was not totally smooth because of my lack of understanding of how the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) works. There are fairly clear instructions on the website but one must enter this URL by *clicking the Java Icon* on the Palm:

http://getmino.com/wap/dev/java/midp1/MINO.jad

For those that use Opera and have installed JVM, that will do just fine, that is what I had. I spent some time fooling around with the Java settings in Preferences before I understood that the above URL was not intended to be put into Blazer, rather it was supposed to go into the corresponding area one gets when one clicks on the icon. Besides this thread, there is a pretty good thread on the Support Forum on the minowireless.com website explaing this point which has, evidently, become a stumbling block for several early adopters.

Al tried to point this out and we had the information here, but somehow I didn't quite get it. Another point that should be made is that the system was having some problems today and by coincidence, I installed Mino at the exact time the service was down (this afternoon for an hour at least). My installation was perfect but kept getting a connection error. I decided to wait a while and a couple of hours later it went through with no problem, so be aware that this can happen too. The point that was made above about not hanging up is that when Mino connects, it returns one to a Menu, giving one the impression that nothing is happening. If one waits a few seconds at that screen, one own cell phone then begins to ring and when one answers, the bot says "connecting your call..." or something to that effect, and then one hears the other party's phone ringing. It's actually quite smooth after you go through it once, but I agree that this needs to be polished a little.

Functionally though, Treolo is right, the site seems excellent!
    Just installed on my treo today. Called both UK and Spain. Worked GREAT!!
    stageworks@usa.net
  9.    #29  
    I gave them $20 today to test it out and called a couple of countries (Tip: if you call Minowireless directly they will give you 10% more for the $20 ). The voice quality is amazingly good, sometimes better that I get on local calls. Also, there is no additional drain at all on the battery which is also good news.

You can also use your PC to dial the call and direct Minowireless to ring whatever phone you like. So, at home, you can use your home telephone for international calls with excellent voice quality at 2 cents per minute. This is a very nice twist.

Although it is new and they are still having a few glitches (system down for a few hours Friday), I think this is a unique app and probably the best in it's class for the Treo. It appears to be quite solid already, and is likely to bring a smile to the face of most international callers wanting to use their Treos. I'm acutally quite surprised at how well it works. Look out Skype!
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/22/2006 at 07:15 AM.
    Well I am still waiting for the conf. email. And I email them once already. I think I ll pass. Their website is too ghetto to me.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Well I am still waiting for the conf. email. And I email them once already. I think I ll pass. Their website is too ghetto to me.
    Strange, I got the email instantly. Don't be fooled by the spartan loook of the site, the program is very good. If you use the site to dial internationally to your home or office phone, the connection is *instant* and couldn't be of better quality. If you call them up during business hours, they will usually answer in person by the second ring and they will bend over backwards to make you happy. Give them a call...
    I finally managed to get Mino installed (although I haven't used it yet.) But I find Java to be incredibly buggy--it resets my Treo frequently.
    Can anyone confirm or deny that when you are using mino on your treo to make a phone call, it does using up your voice plan minute?

I can use www.jajah.com/mini on my treo 700p to work quite reliably and it's seem to be free when I register my number (which is my treo) and my friend in Switzerland register his number (house number). Only draw back is it use my available voice minute on my Sprint plan if I call during peak time (weekday from 7am - 7pm) if mino doesnt use voice minute I would definitely pay $0.02/min to use it.

Oh and jajah you can call most of the place from $0.025 - $0.65 check this rate table http://www.jajah.com/info/rates/ . IMHO jajah is pretty convenience (and so does mino) just want to compare between 2 services.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12