Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Hey guys,
    I have been browsing for a while and just actually got my 700p a few days ago. I moved from a BB with push email, I have pop3 email and am looking for the best option, i have been searching for my answer all night and havent come up with anything. With versamail I have my pop set up and when i click "get and send" I receive all my messages, is there anyway that I can automatically make it do this every 5 or 10mins? I have been trying to make it do that and cant find an option. And if i do this, does this mean when it is searching for messages that calls will go to voicemail? I also tried to install chatter but it told me that my mailbox was too big and it said I had to manually sync everytime, does anyone have any experience with chatter? I am thinking versa might be the better way to go if I can make it check every few minutes....

Many Thanks
    Is your email server capable of IMAP operations? And specifically the IDLE command? Ask the administrator of yo9ur email server if this is possible.

If the answer is yes then Chatter is the first solution to look at. It will achieve Blackberry-like performance for your email. Received email will be pushed to you in real time. You will not need to schedule a "fetch" (unless you want to).

I am not sure about the "mailbox too big" for Chatter, except perhaps you have a bunch of emails in your POP3 inbox. But if you connect using Chatter configured as an IMAP client there should not be such a problem. Or you can clean out the email folders.

EDIT: why don't you post a query in the Chatter subforum here on TC about the "mailbox too big" problem. The developer, Marc, will probably be able to provide guidance. http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I second the vote for Chatter. I'm still getting used to it, but it is a fantastic email program (followed closely by Snappermail). Versamail isn't even in the race in my opinion. Because you are using a pop3 email account, you cannot use the "push" features of chatter. However, Chatter does offer a good deal for folks like yourself. I don't know the details, but I think the gist is you hvae your pop email forwarded to an IMAP (push capable) email server like Fastmail. Good luck!
    Last edited by smrs; 08/15/2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: can't spell!
    This might be a stupid question and I'm sorry if it is but how do I tell if the mail server software that I'm running on my FreeBSD 6.1 server supports the IDLE command? I'm running SSL IMap now and would like to use it for my treo but don't know how to check.
    Quote Originally Posted by audit
    This might be a stupid question and I'm sorry if it is but how do I tell if the mail server software that I'm running on my FreeBSD 6.1 server supports the IDLE command? I'm running SSL IMap now and would like to use it for my treo but don't know how to check.
    I'm a RedHat linux guy, not a FreeBSD guy, so I can't tell you for sure about whatever you're running. I know that I'm running dovecot for my IMAP server and it supports IDLE. I don't know about courier-imap or imap-uw.

I know that when I tried to connect Chatter to an IMAP server that doesn't support IDLE, chatter told me right away. It'll tell you that you have to schedule downloads because the server doesn't support IDLE. I've got mine currently set for two IDLE-compliant linux servers, a non-IDLE compliant server, and gmail. All working pretty well, though there's a lot of battery drain. I think that's more of a palm radio issue than a chatter issue, though.

Best advice: download the chatter beta from the www.chatteremail.com site as a trial, see if you can get to your server, and see how it works. I for one am very happy with it!
    In terms of clients, though, there is no comparison, Chattermail has versamail beat.
    Chatter definitely beats versamail. It is my favorite and most used app on my Treo 700p, and was on my 650. Marc is constantly updating it, and push email rocks. Chatter is the best Palm OS application in my opinion.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by smrs
    I don't know the details, but I think the gist is you hvae your pop email forwarded to an IMAP (push capable) email server like Fastmail. Good luck!
    Use Fusemail(.com) to get push from your Pop account; Fusemail "fuses" the accounts, and is IMAP, and therefore is real-time. It's redundant (meaning you still have to manage the emails on your Pop account, but it gives you real-time Pop, if you need it.
    Another vote for chatter for me...
    tried versamail, but it has glitches n stops syncing....
    also, imap is the way to go, so looking into a free/cheap IMAP server, i use fastmail.fm
    no contest between the two - chatter wins.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Chatter, hands down.