1.    #1  
    Geez...has anyone tried to get a deal on a 700p from retentions lately?

I've been with Sprint since 1998 and I've tried twice today to move my wife over onto a family share plan that the both of us would be on (she's been with Sprint for 2.5 years and is out of her current contract). My latest 2 yr contract ends in two months. When I asked what could be done to keep me as a Sprint customer, I couldn't get more than the $150 rebate out of the two retention people I talked to (making the 700p a $500 proposition). I even told them that Verizon has the 700p for $299 (see www.verizonwireless.com). I'm actually beginning to consider Verizon when my contract ends in October (the Moto Q can't have any worse problems than people are reporting on the 700p), especially if they're not willing to budge on the 700 p.

It's funny, when I first tell the CSR that I've been with Sprint for 8+ years, they say, "Oh, that's so great. Why would you want to leave?" But then when they get the chance to keep a longtime customer, they won't put up the goods! I told them that my wife was interested in Verizon's phone selection along with better reception (true statement).

What happened to the days when you could get a 700p for $325 after a little discussion with the retentions CSR?!?!? Especially with an old timer like me. You'd think, given Sprint's poor signup numbers from last quarter in the midst of the Nextel merger, they'd want to hold on to every customer they could.

I must be late to the 700p deal party.
    You may want to wait a day to call retentions back - they do log all the calls they get from 'us' - 'us' meaning the customer. I was very open about what was discussed in my 'best offer' as well as mentioning the Verizon switch. Basically, this is how I started....

1. I always start by complimenting on how customer service has been good for so long with me, and that it would be a shame for me to consider Verizon... but, they are giving me a sweet deal on a phone plan and 700p
    2. Mention how much you have spent on the plan while you have been with Sprint
    3. Ask what he can offer on a good plan
    4. Then ask how he can balance out a good deal on the 700p

Took me about an hour with Retention to get the 700p for $299 with a 1000 minutes, N/W at 6pm, Unlimited Text Messages, Unlimited EVDO, PCS2PCS for $53. I have spent on average about $80 per month with my previous plan of 2 years. I have been with Sprint for 4 years. This was my 6th call with Sprint about 3 weeks ago. Phew!

HTH
    RL
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    I just ordered a 700p for $300. It took many calls and much work. I was originally offered $249, but the rep refused to call me back as she promised to finalize the deal. I took the $300 price because I was able to change my plan a little bit, and get a 15% discount tacked on. I also just got an A900 for free, so I felt the total deal was worth it. They also have let me keep my old vision plans on both phones since we do not have EV-DO coverage in my area yet.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by redline122
    You may want to wait a day to call retentions back - they do log all the calls they get from 'us' - 'us' meaning the customer.
    RL
    redline: Thanks for your $0.02. So does that mean I'm pretty much "screwed" if they have a record of what they offered before? Even if I call again today? At the end of my second call, the CSR said if I held on, she'd make notes about what they offered me at that point. I told her I was getting another call and that I had to go. Not sure if that stopped her from making notes. Any advice from others?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    redline: Thanks for your $0.02. So does that mean I'm pretty much "screwed" if they have a record of what they offered before? Even if I call again today? At the end of my second call, the CSR said if I held on, she'd make notes about what they offered me at that point. I told her I was getting another call and that I had to go. Not sure if that stopped her from making notes. Any advice from others?

I called 4 times and finally on the 4th try by going through regulat CS and explaining that I had been through 8, count them 8 defective 650's and have been a Sprint cusotmer for 8 years, I finally got a deal that kept me with Sprint before going over to VZ. I apparently got the 700P for $150.00 plus CA tax by returning my 8th 650. The nice CS person (Manager or maybe they transfered me to Retention) offered me a killer plan for me and my wife for $72.00 w 7PM n/W,unltd roaming, unltd text and pic mail, free EVDO and free Internet for $72.00 month + tax. I will be lieve it when I see it on my next bill though. Allin all the 700P blows the 50 away in terms of reception, and EVDO is killer. Just hope they fix the annoying delays and crashes ASAP. Be patient, be nice to them, and if they don't offer you the right deal, hang-up and call back in a week.

My 3 cents
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I'm just going to piggy back off what others have said. You have to try until you get the right person. I had a horrible plan for my last contract(650). I sent an email to Headquaters telling them how long I have been a sprint customer blah, blah, blah. I get a call and they offer me(from Sprint Headquarters) the treo 700P for $250. That took care of getting the phone. Now I need a good plan. Called customer service several times(was actually trying to get retentions). On the 4th or 5th try, I tell the lady to transfer me to retention but she says maybe she can help. I tell her I've been a sprint customer since the Ice age and my plan isnt really good, can she help me out with a better plan.

Insurance for phone
    Unlimited SMS
    Unlimited Power Vision
    Nights starting at 7pm
    1000 Anytime minutes
    15% discount

All for the grand total of $42.66 a month. Basically told the CS rep she was the best human being walking the earths surface. And just like that, I was signed on for another 2 Yrs.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  7.    #7  
    This seemed like an appropriate thread to link to: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...7&page=1&pp=15

Maybe it isn't just my imagination. One of these says that the best discount we'll get off a 700p is $250 which ends up being $400 for the phone. Seems like lots of peeps on this board were getting better deals a couple years ago.
    This seemed like an appropriate thread to link to: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...7&page=1&pp=15

Maybe it isn't just my imagination. One of these says that the best discount we'll get off a 700p is $250 which ends up being $400 for the phone. Seems like lots of peeps on this board were getting better deals a couple years ago.
    I haven't had to go through Sprint retentions yet but the post that link points to sounds a bit more reasonable. The fact is that I wouldn't be surprised if they start cracking down on retentions a bit because from what I was hearing they were offering by far the best deals in the mobile phone industry (at times probably much better than what they would need to do to just keep the customer for another two years). I mean getting new $650 phones for $199 with discounts on the plan as well are just absurdly good deals when Verizon customers are reporting that they can barely get a $50 discount on equipment.

Yes, Sprint's position in the market is not as good, however, considering the amount of money they would be losing (especially on the deeper plan discounts) I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the higher ups in the company would start to take a hard line with retentions reps giving these deals away to average (non-business) consumers. Unfortunately, it sounds like the great deals were more a product of disorganization and misinformed / poorly trained employees than any sort of generosity towards their customers.
    i dont know if existing customers can do this, but what i did was bring in a wirefly prinout to a sprint store showing the 280 price, the csr barely looked at it and said she would match the price, but not only did she match the price, she gave it to me for 250. it came out to 303 after tax on 599, she was also able to get me on sero plan. so mayb you guys can try to get a sprint store to pricematch, if one doesnt then keep trying, eventually you'll find one that does
  10.    #10  
    Damn! Now Verizon is back to offering the 700p for $399 with new service, which includes only a $100 discount. Guess I can't use that as leverage with Sprint retentions anymore! Geez! On Monday, they were listing it for $299 with discounts!
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...DA/SmartPhones
    Last edited by TREOpalooza; 08/17/2006 at 04:19 PM.
    This might sound a little strange, but I think the old GTE (Cingular now?) used to have the best formula for determining the type of credits they gave towards new phones. I don't know what the exact formula was but they looked at how much you spent with them and alloted a credit based on that. I think it was some type of percentage. I don't have the largest phone bill, but at $300 a month for three phones, I would guess I am a little more profitable to sprint then the average $49 a month subscriber- but its the same retention across the board and heaven forbid you want to make a phone upgrade before the two years are up. Does anyone keep the same phone for 2 years any longer? It also seems as if the cost of phones have increased when trying to purchase in contract... where are the economies of scale and efficiency.
    fyi - if it helps anyone - I saw the 700p in Fry's ad this morning for $278 with a new activation.

no way. if you have been paying your bills retention will give you the treo 700p for net $300, ie $300, no activation fee, no tax, no shippng charge and NO tax (ie a sale tax chargeback credit).

don't worry. just say the credit seems low compared to what you can get if you cancel your account and restart.

tell them you get a plan AND equipment discount from verizon from work. they know verizons plans but do not know verizon's affiliate business discounts.

dont forget the new treo 700wx will be out in a couple fo weeks. this will lower list and actual price of 700p for sure. you may even prefer to get the 700wx anyway.
  14.    #14  
    There's a huge ad in the Wall Street Journal today saying Verizon is selling the 700p for $299 w/ 2 yr contract.