1.    #1  
    Has someone experience with OBD tools for palm/treo 650?
    I'm interested in the car-pal solution
    http://www.car-pal.net/
    (which is a bluetooth OBD interface) or similar.
    Also, any hint on OBD software will be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    It would be nice if prices were included on the car-pal web site. Do you have any idea how much they cost?
    Last edited by TxDot; 08/16/2006 at 07:01 AM.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  3.    #3  
    It would be even better if their website was not full of "page not found"...
    check out www.auterraweb.com
  5. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    Has someone experience with OBD tools for palm/treo 650?
    I'm interested in the car-pal solution
    http://www.car-pal.net/
    (which is a bluetooth OBD interface) or similar.
    Also, any hint on OBD software will be appreciated.
    It's not clear to me what happened but it seems that the folks who built the Car-Pal had a bit of a falling out. The original company, Vital Engineering, seems to still be around: http://www.vitalengineering.co.uk/ you might give them a try. I bought one (the bluetooth model) and have been very satisified with it.

There were some issues with the Palm version of the Car-Pal software on the Treo, I fixed them and sent the code back. If that version isn't on the new CD, I have one that will work.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I'm a big fan of Autoenginuity. www.autoenginuity.com Although I use it with my truck mounted laptop, they also offer a palm version.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
  7.    #7  
    I decided to go for a more standard cabled solution. From my understanding, they modified ODB gauge. Is it possible to get the software? I'll be pleased to test it with my setup.
  8. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    I decided to go for a more standard cabled solution. From my understanding, they modified ODB gauge. Is it possible to get the software? I'll be pleased to test it with my setup.
    Yes, the Palm app is based on OBD Gauge, and works well with the Car-Pal, for example when you run it the Treo connects to it automatically via bluetooth. For this reason, I doubt it will work with a wired unit, also the Car-Pal speaks a variant of the ELM protocol. If you want to play with the source, I will be happy to send you the version I have (it's GPL, remember). You'll have to mod it and build however. Really, if you bought an ELM-based unit I'd go with OBD Gauge. PM me via the forum with your email if you still want this.

I sent the changes to Dana Peters (OBD Gauge author) too of course, so he may have them in the pipeline too. They were pretty simple, fixing some small instabilities on the Treo and supporting the 5-way, etc.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Might be a stupid question, but i didn't notice it specifically mentioned in the software documentation. Is there a function in any of the above listed options to have a bit more simplified interface to show things like fuel economy, or oil life?
  10. tmt
    Fuel economy is actually not a measured parameter, but it's easy to derive after making a couple of assumptions. Many gauge programs display it, but OBD Gauge does not. I've been playing around with the idea of making a kind of dashboard app, but haven't gotten around to that.

Oil change interval is a different thing, that's calculated by your engine controller after summing up load, temperature, etc. It's not a standard OBD parameter, meaning you need a manufacturer-specific scan tool to see it.