Hi all,

I have a 650 without camera that I purchased from Verizon a few months ago. The first phone I got from them had the typical loose/bad headphone jack that I've seen described elsewhere, but today I found myself with a new quandary.

I was on the plane on my way back home and popped open pocket tunes to catch up on a few of my favorite podcasts using my Seidio headphones (http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=234), my favorite accessory. I've been using these since I got the replacement phone to listen to many, many hours of audio books, podcasts and music with no problems.

About five minutes into the recording everything went silent. Strange, says I. I do the ol' twist and press on the plug, thinking maybe I've got another jack going bad. No results. Hm. Curious.

So, I unplug the headset and plug it back in. Sound is back, I smile, rewind and continue. Five minutes later, repeat. Then again. So I give up until I get home.

I'm home now and I've spent a couple of hours, and this is what I've learned. The problem is the same no matter what kind of headphones, hands-free set, or headphone adapter I have plugged in. (Radio Shack and Palm headphone adapters, Seidio and three different Jabra handsfree sets) Now that I'm home and I've un-muted the speaker I know that when my headphones go silent the speaker takes over. Now I think it might be the sensor/switch that notices you've plugged in 'phones.

Being a good tester, I try one more thing: with the headphones plugged in I pop off the battery cover and reset (after the sound has switched to the speaker, of course). When the treo plays the boot-up noise for the cell, surprise! It played through the headphones. Music/book/podcasts work for the same five-minute (or less) duration and I see the same behavior until I unplug and re-plug the headset or reset the treo again.

I've used Audible Player, Real Player, Pocket Tunes and TMCP, all with the same results. I have not tried this while in a telephone conversation, so I don't know if the mic cuts out as well.

Interesting, wouldn't you say?

As a next step I am considering a hardware reset and then slowly adding in one program at a time just in case it is software that (for some unfathomable reason) is resetting the audio-out. If I do this it won't be until tomorrow night when I can set aside another hour or two to mess with it.

If anyone has seen this - which seems to be different from the many other posts concerning bad jacks - please let me know.

Enchantr
Verizon Treo 650 w/o camera