Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Ok so my wife has a 700p thru Sprint with Unlimted Data but no messaging plan. I want a solution for her to get messages real time but not have to pay monthly/per message.

    As far as I can tell the only way to get a message right away is thru SMS/Text or a push based email solution like ChatterMail, right????
    Is there an option I am not thinking of??

    I was thinking of going thru Chatter, forwarding her Gmail account to a free IMAP account(AIM...) and having it pushed to Chatter. Now the only issue I will have is battery drain. From what have read it does have an effect on battery but it depends how much mail is exchanged. The account will have minimal usage, like maybe 1 or 2 messages a day if that, so will I still have battery issues???

    She charges the phone each night but I want to her to be able to use the phone as much as she needs along with internet and still have a charge at night, is that possible?? Now I know even if she does get any messages Chatter will still use some of the battery which is fine but how much???



    Thanks for any advise you can give!!!
  2. #2  
    I'm confused, do you want messaging, or email? Messaging you could use any of the IM programs.. There are several free ones, my favorite is VeriChat. $25/yr but that's really not bad.
  3. #3  
    If you don't mind charging every night, Chatter will work fine for you.

    Marc
  4. #4  
    SMS/Texting isn't really real time, there is a significant lag between sending and receiving. MMS is the same way, but it uses data instead of voice, so it should fall under data usage, but I would double check with Sprint. There is a way to use MMS by default in the messaging app on the 650, so I would assume it also exists on the 700. You could always try that.


  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I'm confused, do you want messaging, or email? Messaging you could use any of the IM programs.. There are several free ones, my favorite is VeriChat. $25/yr but that's really not bad.
    I didn't even think about chat. Do you just leave verichat running all the time and if so how does it effect your battery??


    Quote Originally Posted by chatter
    If you don't mind charging every night, Chatter will work fine for you.

    Marc
    Thanks Marc. I will be trying Chatter out

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    SMS/Texting isn't really real time, there is a significant lag between sending and receiving. MMS is the same way, but it uses data instead of voice, so it should fall under data usage, but I would double check with Sprint. There is a way to use MMS by default in the messaging app on the 650, so I would assume it also exists on the 700. You could always try that.
    Thanks,
    I am pretty sure she will get charged for SMS/Text but I was not aware of MMS, I will look into that thanks.


    Thanks for all the replies!!!
  6. #6  
    I actually use Verichat in online SMS mode, so I get an SMS in, then connect to data to chat, but you can leave it connected. Battery life is affected verses not being online all the time, but it's not horrible.. I'd say a 16 hour day would take 30% just for that.
  7.    #7  
    Cool thanks.

    I am going to see if I can get a "free" sms package from Sprint

    In the mean time I did install Chatter and am using it by forwarding her Gmail account to an new AIM account and it seems to work perfectly. If this continues to work I will have no problem laying down the money for Chatter, a very cool program
  8. #8  
    How about emailing Sprint? I did, expressed my concerns about needing text messaging and not happy about the price. I ended up with 500 texts/month free. Just a suggestion .
  9. #9  
    If you use Chattermail you are going to need a data plan. I believe VeriChat is the same way. Sprint's cheapest unlimited data plan is $20/month, I believe.

    Edit: I missed the unlimited data plan part of the op's post.

    In that case, I recommend push email. I have never tried ChatterMail, but if I had unlimited data I'd give it a try (don't quite have $45/month to give up to Verizon).

    Good luck!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781
    How about emailing Sprint? I did, expressed my concerns about needing text messaging and not happy about the price. I ended up with 500 texts/month free. Just a suggestion .
    Thanks I may just try that!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker
    If you use Chattermail you are going to need a data plan. I believe VeriChat is the same way. Sprint's cheapest unlimited data plan is $20/month, I believe.

    Edit: I missed the unlimited data plan part of the op's post.

    In that case, I recommend push email. I have never tried ChatterMail, but if I had unlimited data I'd give it a try (don't quite have $45/month to give up to Verizon).

    Good luck!
    I have been using Chatter and I love it. I have gmail forwarded to an AIM account and it works great. The only problem is I am starting not to like Gmail, I know it's beta but to many quirks.

    Thanks for the replies!!!!

Posting Permissions