Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To me, the toughest transition (and the obvious reason RIM is such a market leader) from a corporate provided Blackberry with a BES server to a Treo 650 and a self maintained Exchange server has been finding the always on, push email with full wireless sync . My business is 90% communications, either on the phone or via email and having a push solution is something I continue to look for to compliment all of the other great features of the Treo. To this point, there isn't a similar solution for the Treo. I know Goodlink exists, but I think there are some issues with that. Separate application, large memory usage and still some bugginess (IMHO). My wifes corp gives Treos out to all of their employees and they include Goodlink.... I hear her complaints. I think if you want to turn your Treo into a Blackberry, then Goodlink is an option. The reason Blackberry has been so successful is that they targeted the carriers themselves and showed an easy way to increase ARPU by $40-$50 while also promoting the BES side to the Fortune 500 environment. All this applies to Goodlink as well, which is a "me too" to the RIM, its compelling sellpoint is the crossplatform support. They are even more in with the carriers, shown recently by their pull out of selling solutions direct.

So what are the options out there for the many smaller organizations on limited budgets? Desktop redirectors just don't cut it and I, like alot of professionals in my situation, carry our computers with us (they're called notebooks). I have been testing a WM5 device (Tmobile MDA) with the MS push firmware and so far, its the closest compelling alternative to RIM. Now I see why Good made the change- their fate lives with the carriers. Sorry Good, once WM5 and MS push get rolling, you're done, or forced to sell to the dwindling Lotus Notes user base. The ultimate underlying issue with WM5 though is, its just hard to do things with it. Slow speeds, memory issues and just an overall dispiriting user experience hamper the solution.

The ultimate solution and one that I don't hear about too much, drop an "AKU2 like" service into the Palm Treo. Palm went partially there with the inclusion of the Exchange Activesync in the market release of the 650 and have even gone a little further with the latest update to VersaMail 3.5 and the Treo 750P. What I do hear more about is the soon to be released Blackberry Connect solution. If Palm Treo wants to keep and take advantage of these new opportunities, they need to deliver what their clients want and not always what the carriers dictate. I am not the only one that believes this as Blackberry adoption by the smaller users are falling.
    http://www.cellular-news.com/story/18777.php
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Greetings Jim.

Blackberry Connect has been out in Singapore since late April 2006. Here's a link to the rather long, but incredibly helpful thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112142

I've been running the BBC on my Sprint Treo 650 since May and had only one problem which turned out to be some third party software not playing nice.

The corp I work for runs Notes and BES. Iím up and running with full calendar sync and real time push e-mail.

Cheers.
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Running BBC on an unlocked (Cingular branded) 650, with T-mo service. I had very few issues setting it up and it works very well.

... Whenever a BB snob sticks their nose in the air, I fire up my favorite movie (Planes, Trains and Automobiles) on my Treo-berry. That usually quiets them down a little.
    I think Jim has hit the nail on the head. I like the Palm OS interface but my next device will probably be WM5 so I can get full OTA sync to my Exchange Server. BB is not an option-even though a one license BES is free the configuration and installation of a BES is not trivial.

The fact that Marc (Chatter) can develop an Exchange Plugin - at least that is what it looks like - tells me that Palm could give us full OTA PIM sync if desired. Or look at Nexchange which died a mysterious death.

Full over the air sync to Outlook data - contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes - along with true push email. BB can do it. MS can do it. Little one man band shops can get close. WTF Palm?
    Exchange ActiveSync does not sync notes, nor "find" in messages, or two-way sync of deleted items, or the ability to keep deleted items on the handheld after the sync, or real time sync of sub-folders and delted files.

That being said, I think for the small business (less than 5 users), EAS may be a viable solution.
  6.    #6  
    The purpose of my post wasn't necessarily to say one service was better or worse- although as someone who has used most versions of converged voice/data devices out there and as the market proves, RIM/Blackberry have the easiest to and most full featured solution out there. They should, they control both the hardware and the OS (The school of Steve Jobs). Good definately has strong features and give users an option when they aren't willing to go with the closed RIM solution or enterprises with mixed devices. I also know BB connect is out for the Palm. I also agree, by no means is WM5 with Push the best thing out there, but its getting close. (GoodGuy, you can search emails on your handheld and folders do sync with WM5. Does Good do more? Definately!) My point is that its an option for SMB and SoHo users and Palm needs a plan to answer those users. A good solution to me would be to continue that relationship with MS or whoever they choose, but offer those features!

I don't think you can categorize the segment like so many carriers and or developers want to do, 5 or less users, etc... Boards like these show the many different types of users and environments. Data use on the 4 major US carriers networks are up 75% from last year ( GigaOm) and will only grow as faster speeds are upgraded and the "Desktop Broadband Experience" comes to the handhelds and phones.

The Carriers and Handset Neutrality
    It would be pretty funny if your ISP tried to sell you Internet access but then said, "oh, you want to send email, well thats going to be extra...." but thats what the carriers are doing (Kudos, IMHO goes to Sprint for NOT doing this as heavily as the other carriers). I know spectrum and bandwidth are more limited on a cell network and therefore, supply and demand, should not be as inexpensive as our home service, but the practice of really gouging PDA users when they want to use the data capabilities of our devcice just drives users away. Cingular wants an additional $49 (est) to run a WM5 device with email push? What did that make me do? Not add that package but move to Sprint!!! You get to the point where the cancellation fees are worth it based on what you will save. Let me see, $15 with Sprint or $50 with Cingular? I am getting off of my topic a little bit here, because its not so much about the pricing (..I guess thats not true, since its always about the pricing) as it is about having a full solution and Palm stepping up to take ownership of the usefullness of their product and developing a true, remote business user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_johnston
    Cingular wants an additional $49 (est) to run a WM5 device with email push? What did that make me do? Not add that package but move to Sprint!!! You get to the point where the cancellation fees are worth it based on what you will save. Let me see, $15 with Sprint or $50 with Cingular? I am getting off of my topic a little bit here, because its not so much about the pricing (..I guess thats not true, since its always about the pricing) as it is about having a full solution and Palm stepping up to take ownership of the usefullness of their product and developing a true, remote business user experience.
    IMO, Cingular simply was the first and you will see the other carriers follow suit as the uptake of Exchange ActiveSync increases. EAS is a bandwidth hog and it ends up commoditizing the carriers bandwidth. Cingular was proactive in creating the WM Data Plan because they see the writing on the wall as it relates to bandwidth consumption with the 'free' solution that appeals to the SMB space.
  8.    #8  
    Unfortunately GoodGuy, I think you are right. It doesn't make alot of sense though, does POP email require any more bandwidth? On WM5, the default pulls a partial of the message and really after the first synchronization of contacts, cal, mail and tasks, doesn't take more bandwidth then some other apps I can think of. The https connection that stays open is minimal. IMO, I think its the carriers used to the model RIM has sold them on. As it stands now, I don't think its MS pushing that model to the carriers, but the carriers looking for ways to market it and monetize it. But thats their job and I don't fault them for that....
  9.    #9  
    Hey GoodGuy, just curious, seeing as you work for Good, (BTW, sorry about the earlier post saying Good is dead, it was more for emphasis) whats your thought on where this is all going? I don't want you to share any competitive info but what are your market thoughts and where do you see it in two years? BTW, I don't work for any competitor of Good.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Have you looked at ChatterMail's Exchange solution? I don't use Exchange but Chattermail with an emailtreo.com account (I also sync Gmail and .mac Mail) and it's fantastic.

Now if you want calendar/tasks/etc not my area since I don't use it, but I've been quite happy with Chattermail.
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermac
    Have you looked at ChatterMail's Exchange solution? I don't use Exchange but Chattermail with an emailtreo.com account (I also sync Gmail and .mac Mail) and it's fantastic.

Now if you want calendar/tasks/etc not my area since I don't use it, but I've been quite happy with Chattermail.
    I would gladly use Chatter's Exchange solution. Unfortunately I am on T-Mobile, so I can't get push email. That is T-Mobile's fault, not Marc's. And it's my fault for being with T-Mobile, which I am definitely reconsidering.

Also, this thread (and my desire) has all to do with the other PIM functionality in addition to push email. I know that Chatter will add these functions in time, but for the moment boring old Versamail pulls email at me (only one folder, true) and syncs my calendar over the air.
  12.    #12  
    Tasty.... Why can't you use push email service with Tmobile?
    Tasty.... Why can't you use push email service with Tmobile?
    I don't know. Marc said all of the carriers except T-Mobile were willing to work with him.
    I'm on TMobile and get push with Fastmail...
    (wasn't sure if you meant for EAS though??)
    Quote Originally Posted by wdunn
    I'm on TMobile and get push with Fastmail...
    (wasn't sure if you meant for EAS though??)
    Yeah, EAS is what I meant. I had Chatter running using the fastmail.fm routine for a while. Better than IM or TXT. (Well . . . .) But that really wasn't optimal for work email.
  16.    #16  
    Oh sorry... I didn't catch the first part of your post about Chattermail. BTW, there is a 3.5 Versamail upgrade out there for 650 that adds Exchange contact to compliment email and contacts. The only problem I have with it in my case is I use Agendus 11 and do alot of contact linking, which looks and works great in Agendus but adds a bunch of jiberish code when viewing in Outlook. That's what is so frustrating.... The Treo 650 is about 90% of the way there. I have my Treo set to activesync with Exchange every 15 minutes so things stay pretty current and with Agendus (for me at least) and the Treo experience, its a productive device for me.
    Versamail 3.5 may be worth a look and $10 is cheap to get OTA sync with Outlook contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Yeah, EAS is what I meant. I had Chatter running using the fastmail.fm routine for a while. Better than IM or TXT. (Well . . . .) But that really wasn't optimal for work email.
    Know what you mean about workarounds....I use the dreaded Lotus Notes, highly encrypted Lotus Notes, and I've just about given up on any direct syncing with the server & my Treo650.
    Unfortunately GoodGuy, I think you are right. It doesn't make alot of sense though, does POP email require any more bandwidth? On WM5, the default pulls a partial of the message and really after the first synchronization of contacts, cal, mail and tasks, doesn't take more bandwidth then some other apps I can think of. The https connection that stays open is minimal. IMO, I think its the carriers used to the model RIM has sold them on. As it stands now, I don't think its MS pushing that model to the carriers, but the carriers looking for ways to market it and monetize it. But thats their job and I don't fault them for that....
    Actually, POP does use less bandwidth for two primary reasons: it is triggered by an end-user selection and, more importantly, it is mail only, not the rest of the PIM data. The length of time the connection is open is not as much the issue as the amount of data bening transported while that connection is open. While these numbers are nowhere near the real thing, it is simple math: if a connection is open (and assuming all other things being equal) and the data is 1MB versus that same data being compressed to 500KB, the connection will have to stay open twice as long as there is twice the data being transferred. The numbers we are seeing with EAS is massive bandwidth utilization when compared to other solutions, not just Good.

As for the carriers, there are 4 letters that they worry about: ARPU. RIM helped them increase ARPU. Good has started. Using Sprint, as an example, with a $15 data plan, let's say they get 10,000 new users on that plan. Let's say that 25% of those users go with WM5 devices and Sprint implements a WM Data Plan similar to Cingular with a, let's say $15 premium. Now, instead of an additional $150,000 a month, they are getting, they are getting $187,500, or an ARPU increase from $15 to $18.70. Again, simple math, but I think you see the point.
    Thank you for the explanation and for identifying the key driver underneath all of this - ARPU.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast