Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let the battle begin:

Discovery 655
    http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/...V60971574_.jpg

Palm Ultralight Wireless Headset (Plantronics 645)
    http://shop.treonauts.com/images/pro...42/large/1.jpg

Which one is better? Why? Please share

Thanks,

Al
    Please search
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Please search
    Don't tell me what to do. Trust me I know what I'm doing

There is a lot of talk about the 655 and the 645 in separate threads, but a good side by side comparison would be good. I think these two are the most popular onces and not only me but many others are going to have to decide whether buying one or the other.

Al
    Considering that the 655 is the replacement for the 645, which one do you think will be better? There are already very specific details as to EXACTLY what Plantronics changed between the 645 and the 655.
  5.    #5  
    I don't think it is a replacement for the Palm Ultralight Wireless Headset. What I heard is that it is just a different shape. I would like to hear from somebody that has had BOTH. And not just read what some people read about it.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I don't think it is a replacement for the Palm Ultralight Wireless Headset. What I heard is that it is just a different shape. I would like to hear from somebody that has had BOTH. And not just read what some people read about it.

Al
    Why not just buy both and return whichever one you don't like?

Without having tried the Palm Ultralight, the only differences I see are:

- 655 vibrates when inserted into the pocket charger AND when it is in the pocket charger and you get a call. Removing the headset from the pocket charger answers the call.

- 655 looks different

- 655 doesn't come with a Treo charger adapter. It only comes with a mini-USB charger adapter.

- The 645 / Palm Ultralight never appeared in retail stores. Hopefully the 655 does as it looks like it's supposed to replace the 640/645.
  7.    #7  
    What about the connection delays?
    -How long does it take from the time a call comes in to the time the headset notifies you of a call or becames available to use?

-How long does it take from the time you click on the answer call button to the time the call gets transfer to the headset?

Now, this is a problem I've been having with my Scala 500. If you put your headset in your pocket is there a chance the headset will redial a call if you seat somebody on your lap or push it against you? I've been having this problem of redailing people's number and having them listen to me while I wasn't aware. It looks like this would be hard on the 645. I don't know about the 655.

Al
    Instantaneous in each situation. There's no chance the accidental redial would happen. The button has to be firmly pushed to get it to register. This is a feature they put in to prevent accidental button pushes.
    What about the connection delays?
    -How long does it take from the time a call comes in to the time the headset notifies you of a call or becames available to use?

-How long does it take from the time you click on the answer call button to the time the call gets transfer to the headset?

Now, this is a problem I've been having with my Scala 500. If you put your headset in your pocket is there a chance the headset will redial a call if you seat somebody on your lap or push it against you? I've been having this problem of redailing people's number and having them listen to me while I wasn't aware. It looks like this would be hard on the 645. I don't know about the 655.

Al
    Long delays. Islndboi reported 1.5 second delays and another user reported 3 second delays. Plantronics is known for their long delays. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=20
    You're really beginning to annoy me. I reported what I experienced w/ the headset. Why don't you just get one and try it for yourself instead of pointing out what someone else experienced w/ it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    You're really beginning to annoy me. I reported what I experienced w/ the headset. Why don't you just get one and try it for yourself instead of pointing out what someone else experienced w/ it.
    You reported a 1.5 second lag and now you're trying to claim otherwise. Stick with your first story.
    1.5 second lag when I let it answer automatically. Instantaneous if I answer manually / when it's ringing or when in a call already.
  13.    #13  
    OK, I'm starting to think that the 655 would be a better choice even though it doesn't share the same chager as the Treo. However, technically it comes with 3 chargers right?
    1. USB Charger that can be used at the office.
    2. Battery Case charger that can be used while it rests in your pocket.
    3. AC charger that can be used at home or hotel

So I guess they got it all cover. Let me know if I'm right on this.

Thanks,

Al
    OK, I'm starting to think that the 655 would be a better choice even though it doesn't share the same chager as the Treo. However, technically it comes with 3 chargers right?
    1. USB Charger that can be used at the office.
    2. Battery Case charger that can be used while it rests in your pocket.
    3. AC charger that can be used at home or hotel

So I guess they got it all cover. Let me know if I'm right on this.

Thanks,

Al
    No. Everything that you named is the same charger. There are just different adapter pieces that fit on the bottom which take the different chargers.

I tested it and got 2-3 seconds of lag when transferring audio. The rest of the unit was good. Good incoming and outgoing audio, better fit than the 645/Ultralight and improved fit inside the charger. The downsides are the lag, the poor battery life, the bulky charger and the wind noise.
    Yes, you can use the USB charger in your office if your PC in there has a spare USB port or you have a powered USB hub.

It does come with the AAA charger that you connect to the charging pocket.

The AC charger can be used anywhere you have a regular US AC plug.

I guess the lag time depends on how loaded your Treo is. 2000 Man reports that he's getting 2-3 seconds of lag time. When I let it transfer automatically, I get ~1/5 seconds of lag time. Manual transfers during a call or when it is ringing are instant for me.
    How does it hold a connection with the 700P?
    Quote Originally Posted by mariog7
    How does it hold a connection with the 700P?
    Yeah, that would be the key question. My old 640 and my new 645 both stink at keeping a connection. I never have any idea whether the headset will connect or not - even if I push the button repeatedly while on the call!

I have just put my 645 in a box and I will use it when the first firmware update comes out if it fixes the problem. If not...eBay.
  18. dhl
    Just opened my new 655 after returning the 645. Immediate impression out of the box is much better build quality. It clicks firmly into the charger and has a nice rubberized texture in the black volume button area. Turning the ear gel has a nice stiff feel that won't droop while being worn. My 645 was really junk compared to this. Will report on performance after it charges.
    After using the Plantronics 645 for over two months, I wouldn't recommend it for the same reason as perry-rob's issue. Takes too long to connect with the T650. Each time I get a call I have to place the Treo on one ear and the 645 on the other ear until the 645 picks up the call!

I'm now shopping for a replacement. Maybe the 655?
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  20.    #20  
    I made up my mind. I'm buying the 655. It seems like the best choice from what you guys have reported. I guess Palm is stuck with a piece of junk for some time while they come out with a firmware update.

Al
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast