Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Amazon.com return policy is excellent. They even give you a prepaid stamp.

Al
    OK, I give props to Treolo!

I can finally say that I have found my headset that works - perfect, well, I am at the point that I just want it to work most of the time with the 700p.

So, here are my findings on the 3 Plantronics that I have used.

Palm Ultralight aka 645 Simply horrible (so I see that it is recalled!) What a joke, but the 645 that plantronics replaced it with was no better. Here are it’s issues:

(1) Connection to answered call 1.5 sec .... People were saying hello, hello before it connected for me to talk.
    (2) Call quality ... Poor
    (3) Could not get it loud enough to really hear - OK, but not good.
    (4) Would NOT stay connected

640 Well, this one was tolerable

(1) More than loud enough ... Could set it down actually
    (2) Connnect to calls (when connected) instantly, and I mean right on the money.
    (3) Would NOT stay connected - would have kept it if not for this issue, but it is a pain! Always hitting the button to connect to the phone.
    (4) Ya ya, 640 & 645 stink to charge

655 Holding my breath, hopeing Treolo was right and I was reading the review correct.

(1) Volume, same as the 640, loud and clear - again could turn it down.
    (2) Connected to incoming calls - well, .5 second delay, but not 1.5 and that is a big difference. It is not as good as the 640, but it is good.
    (3) Connection - well, the first time I paired it, it lost the connection, same time as the others, when the phone went to sleep. But I soft reset the phone, lost one, or maybe two connections in the late morning, and now I am 7 hours with no lost connection, “Glory be!”
    (4) Quality, people say it is really good, even if I shut off the DSP - which I do most of the time for battery.
    (5) Quality of build: the 640 and 645 were very nice, but the 655 is better. The charger is great, stays firmly in place - there is a nice assortment of attachments, a mini USB, but no fancy case - but that is OK.

So, there you have it. My two biggies - Sound - Connection and they are both there. Perfect, no, but hopefully with the Palm update on the firmware, which is WAY WAY over due, things should be better than now .... Well I hope.

I Hope this helps!
    I received my 655 yesterday. I've only used it a few times and so far I can say that it is far more comfortable that the HBH-608 and Scala 500 I've had before this one. The audio quality, hands down, is no comparison to the other two I've had. It's simply clear and loud. The fit/comfort/weight is also , hands down, the best I've had so far.

No pair/unpairing issues to speak of. I walked out of range and then returned and there were no re-connect problems. So far I am very pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Palm Ultralight recalled by Palm???
    http://forum.treonauts.com/bluetooth...2.html#post573

I guess that says it all who is the winner.

Al
    Your son is cute! Please show the milk face photo over here!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Can you pair it with multiple bluetooth devices at the same time as you can with the 640?
  6. dhl
    Quote Originally Posted by trombs View Post
    dhl, Treolo,
    Apologies if I missed this, but are you using the Discovery 655 with a Treo 650 or a 700p? If you're using the 700p, does the 655 maintain a connection or does it need to be reconnected every once in a while? This is my main complaint with the Discovery 510. When a call comes in, if I'm not wearing the headset, I have no idea whether it's still paired. If not, it takes several seconds to do so, and then several more to answer the call.

Danke,
    trombs

I'm using mine with a Treo 650. It's been great and I'm very happy with it. Stays solidly paired 99% of the time. The only times I've had to re-pair it was once after using a bluetooth receiver with the 650, and once after pairing the headset with my Powerbook. Overall, it's solid. And I can get as far as 20 feet away from my Treo before I start hearing static.

--dhl
    Quote Originally Posted by trombs View Post
    dhl, Treolo,
    Apologies if I missed this, but are you using the Discovery 655 with a Treo 650 or a 700p? If you're using the 700p, does the 655 maintain a connection or does it need to be reconnected every once in a while? This is my main complaint with the Discovery 510. When a call comes in, if I'm not wearing the headset, I have no idea whether it's still paired. If not, it takes several seconds to do so, and then several more to answer the call.

Danke,
    trombs
    Using w/ 700p here. No pairing/unpairing issues to speak of yet. Only thing is when out of range or turned off (headset), you do have to push the button on the headset to reconnect. However, when maintained with in range of eachother, they're always connected.
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback! One last question: any comments on how it performs in noisy environments or in the wind? Do people on the other end have any complaints about this? There's a comment on Amazon that suggests the 655 has an issue with background noise. I've already returned a JX10 because my girlfriend couldn't hear me over the background noise...
  9.    #49  
    Trombs, That is one thing I miss from my Scala 500. The 655 seems to be sensitive to wind. Somehow even a air vents from the car when they are turned up at high can create some noise on the headset. I really understimated my Scala on that. Besides that it is really good.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Trombs, That is one thing I miss from my Scala 500. The 655 seems to be sensitive to wind. Somehow even a air vents from the car when they are turned up at high can create some noise on the headset. I really understimated my Scala on that. Besides that it is really good.

Al
    That's odd...I have the exact opposite experience (with the car vents blowing). My scala 500 would pick up the vent air noise (but rarely outside wind noise). The 655 can be sensitive to background / wind noise if the DSP is turned off. With it on, I haven't experienced any background/wind noise to speak of.
    Too bad I waited. Huge price increase at Amazon today.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdog View Post
    Too bad I waited. Huge price increase at Amazon today.
    try newegg.com. its on their front page for $75.00
    Anyone ever order from BlueHeadsets?

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/produc...RONICS-DISC655

And why did Amazon go up $20?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If my reaction is typical, the choice is $75 w/o return, or $95 with. So I guess Amazon figured its return policy is worth 20 bucks, and the market would bear the higher price.
    Amazon is return with no questions asked? Otherwise, it's not really worth an extra $20 when it can be found elsewhere for less.

Amazon has a very liberal return policy. You just have to include everything that came with it...packaging, manuals, etc. And they're strict about the 30 days. Your item won't even appear on your account's returnables list after that. But yes, for 20 bucks you get a 30 day trial.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    i just got mine today and its great when it works... when someone calls me... all is good. however when i hang up with them it's still connected (i can hear fuzz/crackling sounds), and when i go to make a call out, it never works on the headset even if i go to options then tap "connect bluetooth"...it won't work until i turn the headset off then back on. however when someone calls me and its still fuzzy/crackling, it works fine... it just doesn't seem to ever disconnect after that first call anyone else havin this problem?

update... its not workin at all... if i place a call out, it beeps then just goes right back to the phone speaker
    Last edited by JB007Rules; 09/15/2006 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    scratch that... i fixed it... just ripped out my fone battery and put it back in, then i deleted the headset and reinstalled it on my fone... all is good now
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdog View Post
    Amazon has a very liberal return policy. You just have to include everything that came with it...packaging, manuals, etc. And they're strict about the 30 days. Your item won't even appear on your account's returnables list after that. But yes, for 20 bucks you get a 30 day trial.
    Thanks! I never discard anything for the first month anyway. Amazon could work for me. Blueheadsets claims to have a similar policy, I'm still looking for feedback on them.

The only thing I need to ask is if you need service after the 30 days, you have to use Plantronics warranty?

Yes, Amazon isn't a repair shop. At least you know it's a real U.S. warranty, not grey market.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast