Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To be clear, I'm a long time Palm and Treo supporter. Over the years, I have had numerous Palm handhelds, the Sprint Treo 600, Treo 650 and now the Sprint Treo 700P since the day it became avaialble.

But, I have just become to realize that I am getting soooooooooo tired of the resets, slowness of the 700P, resets and more resets. I never have had a Treo without any issues, and never had a Treo that didn't reset at least a few times a week.

Is Palm just destined to never produce a product that doesn't have any issues? I was always looking forward to upgrading my Treos, just knowing that the newer editions would be more stable than what I had before. But alas, for the multiple times I have paid $300, $400 and $500 for Palm's "state of the art" newer models, I end up with the same frustrating piece of "whatever" that I had before.

Not looking for something "perfect", but it sure would be nice to get something from Palm that doesn't frustrate me weekly. Especially for the price Palm charges for their "greatest and latest".

Palm.... "can you hear me now"?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I hear you. There will be issues with any product. But the quality control has been nothing short of outrageously bad. The OS has been going nowhere. The 3rd party developers are not doing anything spectacular, except fixing the shortcomings of palm as well as overcharging. There are major features strangely missing from the hardware and software. I think the only thing the treos have going for me is the one handed use, simplicity and responsiveness, not to mention the basic concept of an all in one device.

I think palm and the palm developers definitely need to ramp it up though. It is a good platform and a good product, but there is still a looooong way for it to go before I can be satisfied and call it a great product.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my 700p, but I feel your frustration as well. There are great things about it too, but I'm ready for a little more bang for our bucks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I agree with the above posts, some of my fellow TC members have said they needed 5 replacements to get a fully functional Treo 700p, there is no excuse for that sort of thing, the new/refurb unit shouldn't have to be replaced numerous times, once should be enuf, IMO. Anyway, i'll probably have more to say when my replacement 700p gets to me, I still like the 700p tho, strangely enough
    garinballbarin
    I don't agree. Remember that the people who are perfectly happy don't post. For the most part, the whiners and complainers outpost those who are satisfied by 100 to 1, I'd guess.

I had one 600. Never had any significant problems. I have a 650. First and only one, bought within a month or two of the 650 release.

It spontaneously reset this week. It's been so long since the last one I honestly can't remember when it last reset, but it's easily been a couple of months.

I've got a couple of dozen programs loded, too, including a number of background apss.

I love my Treo, and you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands to get it away from ne.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have always STRONGLY suspected that a significant number of Treo returns/exchanges are based on issues that are software, not hardware based. For example - if you have the SMS lockup issue with Verizon, or if the lag time switching between apps really bugs you, exchanging one Treo for another won't help. Whenever I try making smalltalk at bars and parties with other Treo users I almost inevitably find that they ONLY use their Treo as a phone. And they like the keyboard for sending SMS messages. And that's all they do with it. And they are perfectly happy. Just the other night, for example, I explained to a girl that she could use Google on Blazer to quickly look up a phone number AND then simply tap the underlined phone number and VOILA it would dial automatically. It's Crazy I tell ya! My belaboured point is that most users are NOT the power users that we are...
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Also many people are just hotsyncing and older profile to their new phone. Many times its not even another treo!

Aside, from the lags in app switching and ptunes skipping (which i think are related) the 700p has been the most the most stable treo yet.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I have not had any issues on my 600, 650 or 700 that I have not caused myself. I suspect that many of the returned treos are due to software conflicts. That's not to say that there aren't some phones with hardware issues, but not to the degree that its claimed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    So long as this thread is up, I suspect that one of the problems people have regarding multiple refurbs is that the refurbs get maybe 1-3 days of testing, then get sent out. My Treo 700p didn't show any real problems until it was about 1 month old, I seriously doubt that Palm QCs there treos for 1 month, so basically what I think happens is people who get a good treo off the bat are happy, and the people who have defective treos get locked into a cycle of refurbs, and ultimately get labeled as whiners and complainers. Of course, thats just IMO, for all I know Palm actually test all 700p for 1 month, and people who have complaints are just hallucinating
    garinballbarin
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    My Treo 700p didn't show any real problems until it was about 1 month...
    What was your issue?
    it lost the HSSN number, and the software and hardware SN were corrupted. According to Jeffgibson, these values are stored in ROM and aren't supposed to be corruptible, so according to him there's something wrong with my 700p. If you think my problem is just my imagination, ask Jeff why his volumecare program can't be registered on my treo because I have no HSSN number
    garinballbarin
    I am not suggesting that the problem is a figment of your imagination, I would simply be interested to know if a new 700p solves your problem. This sounds like someone's software issue, though maybe not yours...
    I've used a 700p Verizon since it came out. It's stable but slow, especially when app switching (often several seconds w/o 3rd party apps loaded). I also find that it drops the data connection in some areas which slows overall data access time. The battery life is also worse. On the positive side, when the data is connected, web browsing and mail pulling is fast. It's also nice to have the extra memory w/o having to load apps on an SD card. But overall, I find the total 700p experience to be worse than the 650. I'm willing to sacrifice some data speed to have a more fluent experience (I switch between apps a lot) and to not have to worry about the battery (which is even better on GSM with the Seidio extended battery!). Personally, I have not had reset problems with either unit. Perhaps a firmware update the lag problem will be fixed...
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I am not suggesting that the problem is a figment of your imagination, I would simply be interested to know if a new 700p solves your problem. This sounds like someone's software issue, though maybe not yours...
    sorry if my previous post sounds grouchy, my Saturn auto, Macintosh and now Treo all went to the shop, it's like all my possessions got together and decided to **** me off simultaneously

Thanks for everybody who bothers to read my post, you folks are alright
    garinballbarin
    Wading into the conversation, my experience with the 700p has been good, especially after the first day when I set it up the WRONG way, but it got done really fast. Anyway, sure it has a speed issue, I can live with that. For me it is much more stable and it is nice to have the extra memory. I went for about 2 weeks at 40 or so mb and Thursday I added another app bringing memory down to 39.7. For me it was a good upgrade. The 650 initially gave me a very serious problem with stability, though with the steps I took, it became rock solid and those same steps taken with the 700p have made it a reliable device also. Now if only the 700w were a bit more stable.

Ben
    On my 6th 700P here. It's a keeper. The 5 previous ones all had hardware problems from orange-tinted screens to extremely squeaky keys to crookedly placed screens to touch screens that had to be mashed to respond to any touch.

The 700P has had the worst quality control of any Palm product I've owned. I know none of my problems were software related. I never transferred anything from my 650. Before I got my 700P, I even uninstalled ALL Palm related software from my PC, cleaned out my PC's registry, etc.. When I got my 700P, I installed the Palm Desktop that came with it and manually put all my contacts into it.

If I had any problems I suspected were due to software, I did a hard reset and reinstalled all my software one by one until I found whatever was causing the problem.

The 700P is very nice once you get a good one. I'm pretty excited about the rumored 700WX coming to Sprint. I'm ready to move over to WM as the PalmOS in its current form is losing its appeal to me and the developers aren't helping by charging so much for their apps..
    I have never had mine reset once on me or for that matter, I haven't even had to reset mine. I use NVbackup once a night, and have it reset it then (1 am) and it runs like a champ. Maybe for those of you having issues, try that. Mine is working, might I say, FANTASTIC.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    IsLNdbOi: "On my 6th 700P here. It's a keeper. The 5 previous ones all had hardware problems from orange-tinted screens to extremely squeaky keys to crookedly placed screens to touch screens that had to be mashed to respond to any touch".

I'm on my fourth - still having keyboard problems. Sounds like there might a few good ones in the system, seeing as how you finally got one...when did you get it?
    I got 6th one I think around mid July.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    The 700P is very nice once you get a good one. I'm pretty excited about the rumored 700WX coming to Sprint. I'm ready to move over to WM as the PalmOS in its current form is losing its appeal to me and the developers aren't helping by charging so much for their apps..
    I've heard that Palm is trying to switch to linux, from a stability standpoint I think this would be great, my Compaq running linux has an uptime measured in months, it's even more stable than my Mac, which itself was stable as all heck before it had to go into the shop. Oh well, time will tell
    garinballbarin
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    On my 6th 700P here. It's a keeper. The 5 previous ones all had hardware problems from orange-tinted screens to extremely squeaky keys to crookedly placed screens to touch screens that had to be mashed to respond to any touch.

I am glad that you have finally found a 700p that meets your requirements. Squeaky keys? I am going to go out on a limb and guess that product returns, be it PDAs, appliances, or meals at a restaurant are a way of life for you...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast