Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort
    But, I have just become to realize that I am getting soooooooooo tired of the resets, slowness of the 700P, resets and more resets. I never have had a Treo without any issues, and never had a Treo that didn't reset at least a few times a week.

Is Palm just destined to never produce a product that doesn't have any issues? I was always looking forward to upgrading my Treos, just knowing that the newer editions would be more stable than what I had before. But alas, for the multiple times I have paid $300, $400 and $500 for Palm's "state of the art" newer models, I end up with the same frustrating piece of "whatever" that I had before.
    I'm on my first 700p; I had one 650, it worked fine. I have one 700p, it works fine...
    This is helpful info. I depend on mobileClock for an alarm, so it's not an optional thing for me. I am definitely seeing lags, I wasn't aware that a problem had been identified with it. Where did you find out about this?

Quote Originally Posted by eatheror
    When I first got my new Treo 700p, I decided to follow advice offered on this board and only sync contacts from my Treo 600. I've then been adding my apps back over time, typically checking for updates as well. So far, I have a lot of apps and no lag. However, there has been an app or two that immediately added lag - lag that went away when I deleted the app. mobileCLOCK was one of those programs and the developer has actively worked on the app to fix it (in beta now). I wonder if part of your lag is possibly from apps you have loaded?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    FWIW, when I first got my 700p, I loaded it up with the same apps I used on my 600. The stability was horrible. I had reset after reset. I tried to find the culprit, but gave up and "punted". I uninstalled Palm Desktop, Did a Hard Reset, Reinstalled Palm Desktop and did not restore anything, Did NOT load ZLauncher, Did NOT install Java, and Did NOT set up Versamail. My 700p has been rock solid. I have no idea if ZLauncher or Java or Versamail was the culprit. Or maybe it was a combination? I would like to have an e-mail client other than Business Connect (you cannot chose which account to use for SENDing mail). I also would like to be able to use some Java apps. I am a registered user of ZLauncher and do not want to purchase yet another launcher just so I can run apps off my SD card. When I am brave I will try one of these again...
    I need an email app so I did install Versamail. Unlike some here, I don't really see any problems that seem to be Versamail related. I installed the latest mobileClock beta last night. I do still get the huge lag when going into Blazer the first time after a backup has run, but the other lags seem to be reduced. I need to do some more testing but it does seem a little better.
    In my experience if you stick to one or two things it does well and avoid other fansy apps its worth it. For example the biggest selling points to me is podcast and GPS. I setup Qnews to download the podcasts every night automatically , and then use TomTom when I am driving.

Now you can't get those on non smart phones. It's worth it for those alone. Now I still get reset every other days but my old dumb Sony k700 did that too.

For everything else, I try to use as much default/bundled app as possible.

Also 700p comes with far better bundled software than 650. The Palm portal and the OnDemand apps are actually very good.
    Hi. Interesting perspectives. Long time Treo user. Still using a trusty 600. Sprint contract just expired. Read up on techniques for getting a decent deal on the 700p, but is it time to jump in? Should I wait a little longer for the 700p to mature? Getting a little itchy to upgrade but if the time isn't right, I can wait. Thoughts?
    Bo Meyer
    Visor 90 --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 700p
    Mac OS X
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22
    I almost feel bad about posting how well my Treo 700p peforms. No resets or anything even with ZLauncher hogging a crazy amount of memory. I did have to purchase VolumeCare but that was about it. Also I used a third party Sprint reseller on Ebay and only paid $95 total to add it to my family plan. Thirty days later I did an ESN swap and haven't looked back at my old Sanyo.

Love this board and I hope you guys get your issues resolved because my 700p is the shizzel fuh' rizzel!

DREi
    Its always good to here people having good results with the 700p.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomeyer
    Hi. Interesting perspectives. Long time Treo user. Still using a trusty 600. Sprint contract just expired. Read up on techniques for getting a decent deal on the 700p, but is it time to jump in? Should I wait a little longer for the 700p to mature? Getting a little itchy to upgrade but if the time isn't right, I can wait. Thoughts?
    Jump in and start treading...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    In my experience if you stick to one or two things it does well and avoid other fansy apps its worth it. For example the biggest selling points to me is podcast and GPS. I setup Qnews to download the podcasts every night automatically , and then use TomTom when I am driving.

Now you can't get those on non smart phones. It's worth it for those alone. Now I still get reset every other days but my old dumb Sony k700 did that too.

For everything else, I try to use as much default/bundled app as possible.

Also 700p comes with far better bundled software than 650. The Palm portal and the OnDemand apps are actually very good.
    I totally agree, I try using the native application too the fullest. I only have a dozen apps loaded on my 700p. IMO, why use different alarm apps, etc when their is a way to set your alarm with 700 native applications...it may not be as fancy or have is many options but it works, and it possibly saves you from the 700 related issues if your concervative in these situations.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I agree that using the native apps as much as possible has benefits. For example, I already own Datebk5 from prior years, but don't have it loaded and use the native calendar since I find it good enough.

In the case of an alarm though, I want/need a repeating alarm monday - friday. I don't think the simplistic world clock alarm can do this. Even with mobileClock, I have less than a dozen third party apps.

Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I totally agree, I try using the native application too the fullest. I only have a dozen apps loaded on my 700p. IMO, why use different alarm apps, etc when their is a way to set your alarm with 700 native applications...it may not be as fancy or have is many options but it works, and it possibly saves you from the 700 related issues if your concervative in these situations.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    I have not had any issues on my 600, 650 or 700 that I have not caused myself. I suspect that many of the returned treos are due to software conflicts. That's not to say that there aren't some phones with hardware issues, but not to the degree that its claimed.
    Ditto. However, I am not a "power user," so perhaps that is why I never had to return my 600, 650, and currently, the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I agree that using the native apps as much as possible has benefits. For example, I already own Datebk5 from prior years, but don't have it loaded and use the native calendar since I find it good enough.

In the case of an alarm though, I want/need a repeating alarm monday - friday. I don't think the simplistic world clock alarm can do this. Even with mobileClock, I have less than a dozen third party apps.
    You can do it, just make a reminder with alarm on Monday, repeat it weekly. And then do the same thing form Tu to Friday. That's how I do it on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatheror
    When I first got my new Treo 700p, I decided to follow advice offered on this board and only sync contacts from my Treo 600. I've then been adding my apps back over time, typically checking for updates as well. So far, I have a lot of apps and no lag. However, there has been an app or two that immediately added lag - lag that went away when I deleted the app. mobileCLOCK was one of those programs and the developer has actively worked on the app to fix it (in beta now). I wonder if part of your lag is possibly from apps you have loaded?
    With each POS device transition, I always rename my backup folder to seal off the apps from synchronization, even now, when the Palm Desktop offers the option of synching the core apps only. I didn't go as far as you did in only synching contacts, but I did limit synching to Tasks, Calendar and Contacts; then gradually added apps (perhaps not as methodically as one at a time, but definitely gradually). I suppose I could go back to the drawing board: hard reset and rebuilt my setup, but I have other reasons for considering my return to the 650. The only profound value-add IMO is the network speed. But I suspect that a good portion of what I considered a richer web browsing experience has to do with discovering Font Smoother after getting the 700p. I want to provisionally factor out EVDO and see if my browsing experience at regular Vision speed (which I've forgotten after weeks of 700p use) is significantly diminished. If not, I'll have a hard time justifying the $299 I paid for the upgrade. Fortunately, after dealing with Retention, I'm getting a monthly service credit that actually makes my Power Vision subscription cheaper than the regular Vision I upgraded from. So if it turns out that I've simply taken the performance boost of the 700p for granted, I'll switch back.

Heh. I gotta feel for you on that one. The 600 and 700p share most of the keys so for me, it's been an easy migration. Why Palm changed the layout from the 600 --> 650 and then almost back again with the 700p, well, it's beyond me.
    The 700p is closer to the 600 layout than the 650, but I still liked the 600's even more. I'm more inclined to say that the button layout has gone steadily downhill than coming full circle.

Have you checked any of the threads in this forum about SD cards and the cluster size? I picked up a new PQI 4GB card and it was darn slow in my Treo. I read up on some of the threads then checked the cluster size on my card. Turned out it was 4K clusters. I copied the data off the card, reformatted it with 32K clusters, and saw a significant increase in speed. Might help you as well.
    I'll check to see if formatting will help with synchronization speed. I'm not having speed problems with the SD card, per se, only HotSych speed if the SD card is in the Treo. I'll compare the formatting of my 1 GB and 4GB cards to see if there's a difference in cluster size. Thanks for the tip.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234