Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Undoubtedly if you reduce your expectations you'll be happier. And it does sound as if Keefer has very high standards. That said, for a $650 device, it should be nothing short of perfection. Or pretty damn close. I'm on my second. Dead and stuck pixels. Yea, there were people who thought a return over a couple of green dots was nuts. But the fact of the matter is that it drove me crazy, and quite simply should not be there, despite being within "acceptable" quality control standards for some PDAs and LCDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I am glad that you have finally found a 700p that meets your requirements. Squeaky keys? I am going to go out on a limb and guess that product returns, be it PDAs, appliances, or meals at a restaurant are a way of life for you...
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I simply find the notion of "squeaky keys" inconceivable...

I have been a Palm/Handspring user for six or seven years now - I have had no shortage of software issues, from Palm and third party developers, but never a hardware problem. That is unless you count the audio jack I busted on my 650 by stringing together an awkward adapter and headset combo, then ramming it into the pocket of my gym shorts...

An odd return here or there I would understand. I've had one 650, one 700p. My brother has a 650, my girlfriend has a 650. None have returned any of them for hardware issues. Someone who has returned four, five or six in less than six months makes me think...well, it just makes me think.
    You've already been told you're pissing people off. Why do you fail to apologize, but continue to share your "thoughts"?
    Because I think that what is more important is that people who read these forums get a balanced perspective on what they can expect when they invest in a Treo. Too often these strings get "hijacked" by the natering nabobs of negativity. I think its funny that - for once - a topic critical of Treo quality has been joined by someone willing to stand up and say "Well that's not MY experience with either Palm, or my Treo".
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I admire your diligence, but basically you're calling several people liars. It also reveals some conceit that if you can't conceive of something, it couldn't possibly be real, much less bother anyone else.
    No, no, no. I haven't called anyone a liar - certainly not several people. What I have done - as tactfully as possible - suggest that someone who goes through half a dozen Treo's to find one that meets their expectations is being a pain in the ***. Note - for example - that I don't take exception to CheckptCharlie. Or anyone who has a QC issue with their phone. A screen anomaly, a stuck button, and yes - apparantly - a squeaky key - these things happen and I don't begrudge anyone who exchanges their Treo in such a circumstance. But five? Five??? I'll leave it alone. Or try to.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Let me try to explain: I like Treos as much as anyone, and have probably helped Verizon sell several of them. I use mine in my daily work to the extent that I run through a battery a day just in the PDA side of things, with only a few calls. 600, no problem. 650, one replacement. 700p, virtually impossible to get a keyboard that doesn't annoy the hell out of me. For $600+ you betcha I'm going to keep at it until I get a good one. Yes, my standards aren't yours, and are probably higher than most people's. And guess, what: I don't return things. Hardly ever [see earlier post]. Only the 700p. I've had Palm since the beginning, and Wizards, etc. before that. I am also old enough to question your motives in trolling for drama on this board.
    "Trolling for Drama Since February, 2001"

Okay. Cease fire.
    I don't return things much and the fact that I've had to return five 700Ps just so I could get a good one says something about Palm's QC. If I'm going to be paying $500+ for something it had better be perfect or as close to it as possible.
    "Trolling for Drama Since February, 2001"

Okay. Cease fire.
    For once I agree with Keefer, somewhere along the ways this thread turned kinda ugly, lets agree to disagree and let this thread die, it's no longer seems productive. Unless people really want to turn this into some sort of flamefest, in which case I'm outta here

PS-Kstewart, your avatar ROCKS, if you ever change it I hope the replacement is just as impressive. Seriously, I wish I could use it as a desktop, but the avatar file gets all pixelated at high res
    Last edited by kamizuno; 08/13/2006 at 08:39 PM.
    garinballbarin
    my first 700p works fine. other than the known issues. i do really wish they would get a firmware update out there. also, where are we with a ROM tool?
    Well, Shadowmite recently posted on here and said that he just got a 700P.

That can only mean we'll be getting a ROM tool soon.
    I don't want to stir things up again but I really don't think Keefer meant anything more than light humor with his original remark (those have a tendency to be misunderstood) and then things turned the wrong way. I haven't been watching the whole thread but there certainly are quality control issues with the Treos and there always have been. I guess it's the price we pay for being on the bleeding edge. A problem with the Treo is always discouraging, but solving it and coming out with a working Treo and a family of programs that get along together, can be totally exhiliarating. Don't give up on the Treo, it's worth the effort.
    I haven't had a single issue with this phone yet and in my experiences with having a Treo 600, 650 and now the 700, these phones are very resilient. I tend to treat them really well for a month or so and then I find myself dropping/getting wet/tossing it every which way I possibly can and still works great! But that's just my experiences.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    My wife and I ordered a pair and there was a difference in build-quality between the two. Hers was outright perfect: tight case, and tactile no-squeak keys. Mine had a very loose battery cover, the keys were squeaky whenever I typed and the 'a' key had no tactile feel at all (no click and very mushy). Exchanged it for a new one but had I not had the pleasure of using my wife's Treo, I would've stuck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    For once I agree with Keefer, somewhere along the ways this thread turned kinda ugly, lets agree to disagree and let this thread die, it's no longer seems productive. Unless people really want to turn this into some sort of flamefest, in which case I'm outta here

PS-Kstewart, your avatar ROCKS, if you ever change it I hope the replacement is just as impressive. Seriously, I wish I could use it as a desktop, but the avatar file gets all pixelated at high res
    Thanks...and trust me I have tried. I have the screen saver though.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    I don't want to stir things up again but I really don't think Keefer meant anything more than light humor with his original remark (those have a tendency to be misunderstood) and then things turned the wrong way. I haven't been watching the whole thread but there certainly are quality control issues with the Treos and there always have been. I guess it's the price we pay for being on the bleeding edge. A problem with the Treo is always discouraging, but solving it and coming out with a working Treo and a family of programs that get along together, can be totally exhiliarating. Don't give up on the Treo, it's worth the effort.
    Totally agree.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I almost feel bad about posting how well my Treo 700p peforms. No resets or anything even with ZLauncher hogging a crazy amount of memory. I did have to purchase VolumeCare but that was about it. Also I used a third party Sprint reseller on Ebay and only paid $95 total to add it to my family plan. Thirty days later I did an ESN swap and haven't looked back at my old Sanyo.

Love this board and I hope you guys get your issues resolved because my 700p is the shizzel fuh' rizzel!

DREi
    While I don't have any hardware issues with the 700p, I'm thinking about returning to the 650 until Palm releases a substantial ROM update. The lag between applications is something I've tried to ignore since I got the 700p a month ago, but it's like trying to ignore a pebble in my shoe. And I still haven't gotten accustomed to the new keyboard layout. And while it's great that I can now use 4GB SD cards, HotSynching takes forever if I leave the card in -- at least, if I change the contents of the card at all. In fairness, I should say that I've had no hardware issues.

Since I procrastinated on selling my 650, I'm probably going to switch back to it for a while, keeping the 700p (since I've kept it past the trial period) until a ROM update comes out. I'll get zoti's short antenna to fool myself into thinking I've "upgraded" my 650, and by the time the new 700p ROM is out, zoti might even have a compatible antenna for the 700p.
    On my third 700P. Seems to holding up ok. I do find some slow response to app switching and the SMS locks up while typing, then unsticks. But as a first time Treo user, I'm happy with it.
    "and if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    The lag between applications is something I've tried to ignore since I got the 700p a month ago, but it's like trying to ignore a pebble in my shoe.
    When I first got my new Treo 700p, I decided to follow advice offered on this board and only sync contacts from my Treo 600. I've then been adding my apps back over time, typically checking for updates as well. So far, I have a lot of apps and no lag. However, there has been an app or two that immediately added lag - lag that went away when I deleted the app. mobileCLOCK was one of those programs and the developer has actively worked on the app to fix it (in beta now). I wonder if part of your lag is possibly from apps you have loaded?

And I still haven't gotten accustomed to the new keyboard layout.
    Heh. I gotta feel for you on that one. The 600 and 700p share most of the keys so for me, it's been an easy migration. Why Palm changed the layout from the 600 --> 650 and then almost back again with the 700p, well, it's beyond me.

And while it's great that I can now use 4GB SD cards, HotSynching takes forever if I leave the card in -- at least, if I change the contents of the card at all.
    Have you checked any of the threads in this forum about SD cards and the cluster size? I picked up a new PQI 4GB card and it was darn slow in my Treo. I read up on some of the threads then checked the cluster size on my card. Turned out it was 4K clusters. I copied the data off the card, reformatted it with 32K clusters, and saw a significant increase in speed. Might help you as well.

I'll consider myself a fortunate one. No hardware issues in my 700p so far. The keyboard clicks, the screen's centered and bright, and no network issues. Only about 3 resets so far in over a month.

-dave

Apps: KeyCaps600, NVBackup, Splash ID, mobileCLOCK, IR Keybd5, Converter, VFS CardSpeed, VSFMark, Speedy, Palm Bench, Palm Internals, Stopwatch, Palm File Browser, FileZ, LJP & other games, eReader, IBM Java, Opera Mini, Dir Assist, HourlyXCast, KMaps, Rotten Tomatos, PalmVNC, and Launcher X ... so far.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast