Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I am glad that you have finally found a 700p that meets your requirements. Squeaky keys? I am going to go out on a limb and guess that product returns, be it PDAs, appliances, or meals at a restaurant are a way of life for you...
    Considering that the 700p is one of the most expensive phones on the market, I'd expect it to at least be as squeak free as a $90 nokia cellphone, but that's just IMO
    garinballbarin
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    Considering that the 700p is one of the most expensive phones on the market, I'd expect it to at least be as squeak free as a $90 nokia cellphone, but that's just IMO
    Agree totally. I usually don't return things, because I see the hassle it is to the vendor. The Treo is an exception. It is quite expensive, and for that I expect good quality control. The main reason I complain is in case some lurker from Palm is reading this board.

Admit it. You can't remember the last time you ate in a restaurant and didn't send SOMETHING back...
    Admit it. You can't remember the last time you ate in a restaurant and didn't send SOMETHING back...
    Very eloquent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm tree
    Agree totally. I usually don't return things, because I see the hassle it is to the vendor. The Treo is an exception. It is quite expensive, and for that I expect good quality control.
    Apparently some of my fellow TC members have psychic powers that enable them to know things about me thru the internet, so rather than turn this thread into a flame fest I'll just add that like you I don't usually return things because most things don't need returning, but Jeffgibson pretty much said I have a problem treo, and I value his opinion more than Keefers.

Keefer, Is that winkie supposed to make me feel better about your post, because frankly I find your post somewhat insulting
    garinballbarin
    I love my Treo 700p too. When it behaves it makes me feel in heavens and I feel like I can't live without it, but there are other times when it crashes for no reason. I think we are experiecing the same problem Windows was having back in the 90's A bad program would just bring down the OS and nothing could be done to get the system back without a reset. Remember that it took Microsoft 10 years or so to get WinXP to where it is currently at. Now, I think we are in a transition from Garnet OS to the new ALP OS. I would bet that ALP would bring the stability we are looking for.

Al
    what's irritating to me is that Volumecare won't register without the HSSN, and according to Jeff future versions of other shareware may have problems as well. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago what I thought of my own posts I would have felt like Keefer, but I need Volumecare, the 700p's volume is too darned low, I'm actually missing calls because I can't hear the phone ring.
    garinballbarin
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    what's irritating to me is that Volumecare won't register without the HSSN, and according to Jeff future versions of other shareware may have problems as well. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago what I thought of my own posts I would have felt like Keefer, but I need Volumecare, the 700p's volume is too darned low, I'm actually missing calls because I can't hear the phone ring.
    That's what's crazy about the 700p; some are good, a bunch aren't. My 650 needed Volumecare, so much so it was almost unusable otherwise. My current 700p is fine in the volume department.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I'm pretty excited about the rumored 700WX coming to Sprint. I'm ready to move over to WM as the PalmOS in its current form is losing its appeal to me and the developers aren't helping by charging so much for their apps..
    Well, about palm OS I think I sadly agree. I am giving it another year. I just got my 700p (1st and only, didn't have issues) a month ago. But nothing is really going on. For example, I have been waitng for thought manager to be optimized for the treo for a couple years. Shadow plan is having issues with the 700p. Seems some developers have given on on developing more for the treo. I will wait to see what plam itelf develops with linux in house and also what plam source comes up with for their linix version. But most likely I am going over to windows mobile for my next phone. It might be a treo and it might not. I like the slide out KB of the 6700 and a wider screen. Once I cross over to windows mobile there is no reason to limit myself to treos. I been with palm since 1997...

I am also tired of being on the "bleeding edge." Getting older I guess. I will stay one model behind from now and let other people be the beta testers,
    'cause that's really what you are if you get a new treo phone, a beta tester. (the 650 is a basically stable platform at this point. And if you get a modified rom you can delete some programs to improve the memory. that is really the main advantage to the 700p for me. more memory. But you can improve on that are with a custom rom).

Some people get off on being out in the fromt. I'll admit that with the treo 600 the was a lot of excitment all around in being part of that. But by the 650 that was getting old. I have been fortunate enough to not have issues with the 700p. But that also could be becasue I know what I am doing at this point. A lot of the issues people have are sadly caused by their own doing, albeit unknowingly. I mean software issues, not creaky keys and twisted screens and what have you.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Sorry for getting all hot under the collar, but being called a whiny complainer is irritating, because people in my family actually go out of our way not to complain, my brother actually ate a MacDonalds chicken sandwich that was under cooked, I asked him why he ate it, and he told me he didn't want to complain, when I asked why he didn't just throw it out he said it was because he didn't want to waste food. It might sound crazy, but my family used to be dirt poor, throwing away food was like defecating on the cross, it's something you just don't do. Anyway, I just want to say that even tho I'm all hotted up now, I'm still honored to be a member of this fine forum, it has many valuable qualities and members, and I hope to remain a member of this forum. Thanks for reading my post
    garinballbarin
    I think this attitude is uncalled for. You think a $650 phone that has keys that squeak like a rubber mouse is OK?? I've had three 700p's now. The third one has some keys that are slightly squeaky but not enough to make me bring it back unless some other problem crops up. My second one was an absolute squeak fest, it was terrible.

Treo quality over the years has varied alot. The 270 was terrible, I had at least four of those that literally died. The 600 was bad also, I had three that malfunctioned (like stop working completely). The 650 GSM unlocked was great. Absolutely perfect, I still have my original and it still works without any (hardware) problems. The 700p has not been as solid as the 650, but much better than the 270 and 600.

Quality control is a real thing. I think some of those here have way too much of an attitude. If yours is perfect great, but I think once you start criticising others for having hardware issues, you have crossed the line.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    There are always hardware issues with every device. For example, Nintendo, which has some of the best quality control, is having trouble with their DS lites cracking. Sony had trouble with dead pixels on the PSP, Apple is having trouble with their laptops, and Harley Davidson... well I still love em.

The Treo is no different there are some with hardware issues, I went through three treo 300s, four treo 600s but still am on my first 650 and 700p.

Despite all these hardware problems, I still have my Treo, Harley, and DS lite

Make sure you problem is really something that is hardware related. Make a backup, do a hard-reset, and then play with your treo before you sync anything back. If there problem is still there (besides the lag or BT issues) then you most likely have a hardware issue. If your problem doesnít come back till you load back your profile then you know itís a software issue which is the most likely problem.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Inventory: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700W and Treo 700p (all Verizon).

I've not had any issues which would make me even consider being negative toward my Treo 700p. My 600 was quite stable as well. The 700W only lasted two weeks. I don't run a ton of third party software. The 700p I own is stable, fast, and has no issues. I depend on it daily without reservation. I have a few utilities, and run Goodlink.

While I am not disagreeing with anyone's post, I've just never seen these kind of issues unless I loaded some troublesome app.

Good luck!
    Verizon 600, 700w, 700p -> Sprint Centro
    I simply find the notion of "squeaky keys" inconceivable...

I have been a Palm/Handspring user for six or seven years now - I have had no shortage of software issues, from Palm and third party developers, but never a hardware problem. That is unless you count the audio jack I busted on my 650 by stringing together an awkward adapter and headset combo, then ramming it into the pocket of my gym shorts...

An odd return here or there I would understand. I've had one 650, one 700p. My brother has a 650, my girlfriend has a 650. None have returned any of them for hardware issues. Someone who has returned four, five or six in less than six months makes me think...well, it just makes me think.
    I had my 700p reset twice since I have had it in the last 2 months...both related to memory management with an app...one was related to snap and the other with VC., but I blame myself a little because when I got the resets I was banging thru things as fast as I type which is pretty fast. I know there is an inherent problem with the 700p but I don't know if some get good ones or some get lemons or it is how people manage their 700 with their compilation of apps, but my 700p is pretty stable and pretty fast and I have a little over a dozen apps.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My 700P has been solid. I had a few issues earlier on but after hard resetting I've been very selective when instaling software. Since then, the only time I have a reset is when a timed or scheduled activity occurs while I'm interacting with my treo, i.e TreoAlarm is activating at the same time that I'm making a phone call, etc. Other than this, things have been near perfect. I've decided not to use Versamail at all, the only launcher I use is McPhling, no skinned utilities (after uninstalling SkinUI), and limited use of Butler. I found that Butler and some of the other software I had installed were conflicting by duplicating efforts on the same tasks. I'm really loving my 700P now!
    What's inconceivable about a squeaky key? The 700 (both w and p) have a tendency to have the right side squeak when you press the keys especially the right side application keys. It's a design flaw that simply isn't as good the the 650. On my second 700p the keys were really squeaky. I brought to the store and in the loud store the support person heard them and said "wow, that's really bad" and exchanged it without any question. I tried a 700w many months ago and it's had a very similar problem, but it's problems with lack of memory and windows outshadowed the keys.

I've had units literally die (not the 700p though). Completely and utterly stop functioning. I love the Treo for it's functionality but quality control has never been their strong suit. On the other hand I've never ever had a Nokia with a hardware problem.

I simply find the notion of "squeaky keys" inconceivable...

I have been a Palm/Handspring user for six or seven years now - I have had no shortage of software issues, from Palm and third party developers, but never a hardware problem. That is unless you count the audio jack I busted on my 650 by stringing together an awkward adapter and headset combo, then ramming it into the pocket of my gym shorts...

An odd return here or there I would understand. I've had one 650, one 700p. My brother has a 650, my girlfriend has a 650. None have returned any of them for hardware issues. Someone who has returned four, five or six in less than six months makes me think...well, it just makes me think.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by msSwitch
    I found that Butler and some of the other software I had installed were conflicting by duplicating efforts on the same tasks. I'm really loving my 700P now!
    Duplicating efforts on the same tasks...exactly. I have said it before about double dipping in some applications. There are some out there who have fifty apps or more and IMO if they installed a mix of apps responably considering this they are the ones who don't have user problems, but there are still 700p users out there with real manufacturing issues also...its just the compilation of both that is making the 700p look bad at times.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    What's inconceivable about a squeaky key? The 700 (both w and p) have a tendency to have the right side squeak when you press the keys especially the right side application keys. It's a design flaw that simply isn't as good the the 650. On my second 700p the keys were really squeaky. I brought to the store and in the loud store the support person heard them and said "wow, that's really bad" and exchanged it without any question. I tried a 700w many months ago and it's had a very similar problem, but it's problems with lack of memory and windows outshadowed the keys.

I've had units literally die (not the 700p though). Completely and utterly stop functioning. I love the Treo for it's functionality but quality control has never been their strong suit. On the other hand I've never ever had a Nokia with a hardware problem.
    My keys squeek, but I don't really let it get to me...most of the time I don't even notice. When I am typing away and am focused on the task at hand...I don't notice it. I do admit...quality does lack in the unit, and their shouldn't be a squeek, but I wouldn't replace my 700 in fear of getting a lemon like alot have gotten already on this forum...I will keep my stable pretty fast 700 that squeeks.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Well, the D pad on my 650 squeaks when pressed in the southerly direction. I thought this was a design feature.

Aside from that I really wonder whether the next phone will be a Treo though like others the 700wx sounds very appealing, if and when available on GSM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast