1.    #1  
    Is mostly everyone just popping these 4 Gig cards into their SD card readers without problems. My understanding is that the card should be placed into the reader *before* the unit is plugged in. Any other advice on how best not to mess up a perfectly working SD card and Treo 700p combination. I have the 4 Gig 150x Transcend card and am worried about corruption of the card.

Thanks for any advice on this.
    I have this card and use it with a multi card reader at home and a regular SD card reader at work which have had no negative effect on the card. Also there's a thread here on how to format 4gb cards for best speed/write performance on your 700p. If I find it I'll post it here. You can however just plug it to your Treo and it's good to go and does not need reformatting.
    Its funny that you bring this up. I just got my 4 gig yesterday, and its working great! I did a format on my home computer just for grins, even though it didn't need it. The only problem is that my laptop won't touch it. I put it in the built in card reader in my laptop and it sits there for a bit, then it shows the card in my computer. When I click on it, it sits again for a bit then says insert a drive into F: My home computer sees it just fine though. I don't get it-
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    Is mostly everyone just popping these 4 Gig cards into their SD card readers without problems. My understanding is that the card should be placed into the reader *before* the unit is plugged in. Any other advice on how best not to mess up a perfectly working SD card and Treo 700p combination. I have the 4 Gig 150x Transcend card and am worried about corruption of the card.

Not a problem in the world with my Transcend 4G card at all, but I purchased their card reader since mine would not handle the 4G card.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie
    Its funny that you bring this up. I just got my 4 gig yesterday, and its working great! I did a format on my home computer just for grins, even though it didn't need it. The only problem is that my laptop won't touch it. I put it in the built in card reader in my laptop and it sits there for a bit, then it shows the card in my computer. When I click on it, it sits again for a bit then says insert a drive into F: My home computer sees it just fine though. I don't get it-
    This may well be a problem with the age of the card reader in your laptop. My Compaq laptop will NOT recognize any card over 2G and gives the same message. My home computer, an HP, is new and works fine. When I use the Transcend card reader on the laptop there are no problems. The conclusion must be the card reader on the laptop. There are NO updated drivers for the laptop to enhance this issue so I had to settle for the reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus

Probably the very best advice I can give you about data corruption is to guard the card when it is in the reader. This is particularly true of little tykes who love to pull on things that are brightly colored. If you pull the card during a read/write you will most likely need to do a reformat at some point as the file it was working on will have been damaged. Other than that, using the card is flawless. The read/write cycles appear to be the Achilles heel of the system.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I have this card and use it with a multi card reader at home and a regular SD card reader at work which have had no negative effect on the card. Also there's a thread here on how to format 4gb cards for best speed/write performance on your 700p. If I find it I'll post it here. You can however just plug it to your Treo and it's good to go and does not need reformatting.
    Thanks for the input aznmode. Is your multicard reader one of those fairly new, SanDisk 8/1 readers by any chance? I have one of those that I purchased about a year ago.
    It is an 8/1 reader but made by PQI. USB2.0. Which I purchased about 9-10 months ago. I know they no longer sell it at the store I bought it from so I'm sure it was made a while back. The one at work is also made by PQI and it does say only works with 1gb maximum SD card yet can still read my 4gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    This may well be a problem with the age of the card reader in your laptop. My Compaq laptop will NOT recognize any card over 2G and gives the same message. My home computer, an HP, is new and works fine. When I use the Transcend card reader on the laptop there are no problems. The conclusion must be the card reader on the laptop. There are NO updated drivers for the laptop to enhance this issue so I had to settle for the reader.
    LMAO!!! I have the EXACT SAME SETUP! A Compaq Laptop that won't read the card and an HP Home Computer that will-Thanks!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Probably the very best advice I can give you about data corruption is to guard the card when it is in the reader. This is particularly true of little tykes who love to pull on things that are brightly colored. If you pull the card during a read/write you will most likely need to do a reformat at some point as the file it was working on will have been damaged. Other than that, using the card is flawless. The read/write cycles appear to be the Achilles heel of the system.
    Thank you for the input and the cautionary advice DrCJ! Very helpful.

I'll probably have a go at it with the SanDisk reader as it sounds as if it might still be quite current (it's USB 2.0), and then fall back on the Transcend reader which is safer, of course, if necessary. I ordered a PQI card that I believe I'll use as the first guinea pig since it will be empty. I'm just trying to be extra careful here (oh no! not a PQI reader too).
    opposite here- microtech reader on home pc wont touch it- but SD slot in Motion Tablet is fine with it.
    I have a Lexar USB 2.0 unit and it seems to work okay with the brand X 4 GB card I have with my new macbook but on my G5 it seems to lock up the card, after that the card is unuseable. Once that happened the only way I could get it working again was to format it with the 700p nothing else would touch it. After formatting it worked and I put back a bunch of files and it worked great on the macbook but once I had about a gig on the card I have not been able to copy anything else over with the card reader. I ended up hot synching 17 mp3's on the card that way and it worked but I have not been successful using anything other than the hot synch cable, and it is very slow. I think these bigger cards are kind of iffy as the 1.0 GB cards I have (San Disk) work great.

My card reader is at least 2 years old, and when I plug it in to the macbook and then put in the card it sees it and shows it as a 4 gig card. All the problems must be a combination of the Treo, the file system and maybe crappy cards.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    I've had great success with a MobilMate SD+ by SanDisk. I believe they have a newer model out, now, since this only seems to only list 6 cards on the side and Copernicus mentioned having one that can read 8. But works flawlessly, compact, gets the job done. It was like $15 and is about the size of one of those disposable, colored butane lighters
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie
    I've had great success with a MobilMate SD+ by SanDisk. I believe they have a newer model out, now, since this only seems to only list 6 cards on the side and Copernicus mentioned having one that can read 8. But works flawlessly, compact, gets the job done. It was like $15 and is about the size of one of those disposable, colored butane lighters
    That's good to hear CheckPt.Charlie and thanks for the input folks, things seem like they are going to be ok.

I have the SanDisk ImageMate 8 in 1 USB 2.0 reader. It only has four slots on the side but it seems that these slots can accept 8 different types of cards.