1.    #1  
    Here is an extremely easy way to make short mp3 or wav files for treo ringtones using itunes (adapted from macosxhints).

1) select mp3 or wav encoder from itunes preferences/advanced menu
    1) Click the song in iTunes
    2) Select Get Info from the File menu
    3) Click Options
    4) Check the Start Time box and enter the start time of the portion you want to extract
    5) Check the Stop Time box and enter the stop time of the portion you want to extract
    6) Click OK
    7) Click convert selection to mp3 (or wav) from the Advanced menu
    8) transfer to your Treo SD card
    Or use the freeware program Minitones
  3.    #3  
    Minitones puts the mp3 files on your internal memory. My Treo 650 RAM space is tight so the itunes method works quite well for me.
    Minitones is a 700p solution or a 650 if you only create one ringtone at a time.

Al
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    how do you transfer to the treo SD card?
  6.    #6  
    using an SD card
    1)put the SD card from your treo into the card reader, plug the card reader into your Mac usb slot and the SD card appears on the desktop.
    2) drag the music file you created out of the itunes window and onto the SD hard drive, voila you are done, put the SD card back into your treo.

using Missing sync software by markspace
    1) start the missing sync program on your palm while it is connected by your syncing cable or cradle to your computer, then perform step 2 above.
    *alternative (you can put your music into a playlist on itunes and set up missing sync to automatically sync songs in this playlist)

using email
    If you don't want to buy an SD card reader or missing sync and the file is small enough, you can also email it to yourself as an attachment, then open the email on your palm and then choose the save to card option when you open the attachment.
    once i have the music on my sd card how do i make it a ringtone on my phone...and where do i go so if my sister calls it is different then when my wife does?
    Brian
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ReturnoftheMac View Post
    once i have the music on my sd card how do i make it a ringtone on my phone...and where do i go so if my sister calls it is different then when my wife does?
    Brian
    You have to use a ringtone manager that will assign mp3s to replace the phone sound. If you want to be simple, and just have one mp3 to replace your ringtone (that you can change whenever you get tired of it) then phone technician by hobbyist software is a good program. That is the one I use.

If you would like to assign different ringtones to different individuals in your contacts, you need a more complex program. Lightwav is one such program, Ringo Pro and mp3ringer are other programs which do this. Lightwav has had a reputation for crashing the treo, I am not sure if the newer versions are immune from this. I have not used Ringo Pro or mp3ringer.