1.    #1  
    Has anyone purchased the Palm GPS Navigator kit from the Palm.com ( $249.00)

Is this a good package or do you recommend another package??

Looking for a system for either car or walking use.

Thanks, John
  2. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I've had the TomTom kit and have been pretty happy with it. It's probably pretty much the same thing.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I have a Deluo GPS receiver w/ TomTom software and been pretty happy. Satellite pickup is very quick (MUCH quicker than my TomTom all-in-one 910) but the software is a step behind (version 5 vs. version 6).
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Does the TomTom software announce the street names when providing instructions, such as "Turn right ahead on Elm Street" rather than "Turn right in 300 yards"?

Does anyone know if TomTom is making plans to making version 6 available to Treo users (specifically treo650)
    Thanks
    - J
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Hmmm,
    Didn't know that version 6 was out, I'll have to check that out.
    I've been using the Palm kit which is Tom Tom Nav 5, works fine as long as you have enough free RAM on the treo. The best part of the kit is all the accessories!
    Quote Originally Posted by thejipster
    Does the TomTom software announce the street names when providing instructions, such as "Turn right ahead on Elm Street" rather than "Turn right in 300 yards"?
    No, Tomtom Nav 5 does not announce the street name. It displays the name but does not announce it. Have to wait for Nav 6 to come out to know if that will be changed. I would be surprised if the 650 isn't supported for at least one more version. I believe the latest guess is October...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am curious about the Garmin Mobile 20 which should be released any day now, especially since it has the top of the line SirfSTAR III processor...
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The new Palm GPS Navigator package comes with TomTom Navigator 6 which is the version running on then new Go's. The higher end ones do give out street names in the directions so it's possible the Palm kit does as well, although as I don't have one I can't confirm that
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbalog View Post
    Has anyone purchased the Palm GPS Navigator kit from the Palm.com ( $249.00)
    Is this a good package or do you recommend another package??
    Looking for a system for either car or walking use.
    The Garmin GPS 10 Bluetooth GPS receiver with the DVD-ROM data base for US and Canada is about $200 (street price). It works extremely well on the Treo (which is not to say that the Palm / TomTom kit can't also work well.) I use it in the car and while walking and I'm very satisfied with it. For more info, check out my review on epinions (available here).
    Comparing TT5 to Pharos (V6 on pocket pc 2002)...

I miss:
    - being able to see the map (north up) very useful when nav to a general area but not exact address (know it when you see it but not sure of address, or just out for a drive)
    - being able to set origin and destination and route without GPS on (say when you have not yet landed at destination)
    - being able to see altitude
    - ability NOT to automatically reroute
    - way points? can't find it or it doesn't exist
    - much better integration with contacts
    - see what street I am on (TT5 needs an extra touch/click)

I like:
    - TT5 is more user friendly (too packaged hence less fun)
    - Select alternative route (pharo doesn't do that, or it may and don't tell you it is a new route)

I like to see Pharos on my T650, but it is WinCE only. (I consider wm5/ppc variations of WinCE)
    I love to see topological info which neither has...
    Quote Originally Posted by CL Lo View Post
    Comparing TT5 to Pharos (V6 on pocket pc 2002)...
    I miss:
    - being able to see the map (north up) very useful when nav to a general area but not exact address (know it when you see it but not sure of address, or just out for a drive)
    - being able to set origin and destination and route without GPS on (say when you have not yet landed at destination)
    - being able to see altitude
    - ability NOT to automatically reroute
    - way points? can't find it or it doesn't exist
    - much better integration with contacts
    - see what street I am on (TT5 needs an extra touch/click)
    I love to see topological info which neither has...
    Not to hype the Garmin GPS 10 + City Navigator + Que software for Palm OS package too much, but Garmin does all of these except integration with contacts. (Caveats: altitude is on the GPS page, not the map page; setting origin for routing is awkward and indirect; topo features require loading separate topo maps that won't overlay street maps.)
    I have been eyeing the Nav 6 and new Palm GPS receiver package. According to the guy in the Palm store you just pop in the SD card and you are ready to go. I have a ton of stuff on my Treo including Goodlink and a 4GB card full of songs and books.

Will I be able to use Aeroplayer while usings the GPS? What about having Good run in the background? My worry is not having enough memory. I have 3.5M of RAM.

Anyone have a similar set up?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    You may want to wait for some more detailed reviews of Nav 6. Treonauts is supposed to have something next week. Nav 5 is known to have problems with background aps. I do use pTunes & Nav 5 without a problem but have no other background aps running. Nav 5 typically generates a soft reset if it gets short of space.