1.    #1  
    I downloaded Chatteremail on my VZW Treo 650. I use AOL. I got it to download all my AOL emails. I saw that I had already read all of them do I deleted them all. Now I go on AOL desktop and all my emails are deleted. So when you delete of Chatter it actually deletes off my desktop?

Also, how do I set it up to download messages every 1 hour automatically. I went to EDIT MAILBOX -> then to DELIVER -> do I then click OFFLICE and select 60 mins? I tried to do it with every 5 mins offline to test it but it didnt collect the emails off my AOL desktop automatically. What am I doing wrong?

Also, is there a way to send messages you read to a folder either on the SD card or handheld so I dont have to delete them but I only see UNread messages, because if it delets the messages off my desktop I dont want to lose them there.

Last thing, and after you are all done reading and sending emails you just go to options, SYS and click Shutdown & Disconnect, is that correct so it doesnt stay online all the time?

Sorry so many questions, but I am a Treo *****!!!
    There is an option that lets you delete only on the Treo. If Chatter checks the mail and you delete the mail, then next time it checks the mail, it deletes that mail from the servicer. The work around is to use the "delete only on Treo" option. If Chatter deletes it from the server, then there is nothing there for the desktop client to delete.

Chatter does not take its email from your desktop - it gets it from the server it is set to.

ChatterEmail comes alive and shutsdown as it is scheduled. It does not disconnect you from the data network.

Ben
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buldawg
    Last thing, and after you are all done reading and sending emails you just go to options, SYS and click Shutdown & Disconnect, is that correct so it doesnt stay online all the time?
    You don't want to do 'Shutdown & Disconnect' or 'Shutdown Chatter Email'. By doing so Chatter does not run in the background anymore and your timed syncs (or push emails) won't occur. All you need to do when you're done with your emails is to move on to other apps such as hitting the Home key.

FYI: both 'Shutdown & Disconnect' and 'Shutdown Chatter Email' shutdown Chatter. The only difference is that the former also disconnects the phone from the data network.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  4.    #4  
    Sorry, but for the life of me I cannot find the option "delete only on Treo".

I also selected under 'Edit Mailbox' then -> Deliver -> OFFLINE, then QSync every 3 minutes just to test it. I didnt disconnect, I just hit my home key and went to the main screen and then hit the red button to turn the screen off, 3 minutes later it did not connect to chatter and try to push the emails, why? After I got out of chatter the two green ligtening bolts turned gray but were still above the antenna strength.

Does leaving it connected to the data network all the time run down the battery or stop incoming calls from coming thru, I am on Verizon Wireless.

Also, once I read the email I go to the left of the email and select "move to folder" I then select Saved. But now after I go out of that screen, where do I find the saved folder to see saved emails???

Thanks!
    Last edited by Buldawg; 08/10/2006 at 05:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Sorry, but for the life of me I cannot find the option "delete only on Treo".
    In the list view, move the 'cursor' or the focus of the message to the left (where you see an envelope icon), hit the center key of the 5-way keypad, a menu should come up and 'Delete on Treo Only' is the one below 'Delete'.

I also selected under 'Edit Mailbox' then -> Deliver -> OFFLINE, then QSync every 3 minutes just to test it. I didnt disconnect, I just hit my home key and went to the main screen and then hit the red button to turn the screen off, 3 minutes later it did not connect to chatter and try to push the emails, why? After I got out of chatter the two green ligtening bolts turned gray but were still above the antenna strength.
    How did you test this 3-minute QSync? Did you send yourself an email during this 3-minute period? If so, you may want to wait a couple minutes more because sometimes it may not catch the next cycle on time. When it's time to QSync and if you happen to look at the screen at the same time, the lower right corner should change the wording to "Connect...", then "Login...", and then your mailbox should sync.

The two green bolts turned gray simply tells you that the data connection is still there, and no data is actively being transferrred.

Does leaving it connected to the data network all the time run down the battery or stop incoming calls from coming thru, I am on Verizon Wireless.
    Many people raised this question in other threads. Simply put, it doesn't have a major impact on the battery if the data connection is up all the time. (Please note that the connection being up is different from data being actively transferred). If you're still concerned, you can check the box "Disconnect if All Mailboxes Offline" under Preferences -> Connection.

As for the incoming voice calls, since you have Verizon, your calls will come thru even when there's an active data connection. Verizon just rolled this out: CPOP.
    Last edited by webedc; 08/10/2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    I downloaded Chatteremail on my VZW Treo 650. I use AOL. I got it to download all my AOL emails. I saw that I had already read all of them do I deleted them all. Now I go on AOL desktop and all my emails are deleted. So when you delete of Chatter it actually deletes off my desktop?
    AOL uses IMAP for their email, so all mail is stored on the mail server instead of locally on your PC. Anything you do in AOL, AOL webmail or Chatter effects the other, because again all the actions are being taken on the server. Anything you delete will go directly into your AOL "deleted mail" folder and remain here for x amount of time, or until you choose to purge the folder. If there is a deleted message you need to recover, check this folder from either AOL or AOL webmail to restore it. In the Chatter preferances for MAILBOX VIEW, there is a control to leave read AOL messages in NEW MAIL. You may want to consider using this until you get the hang of using Chatter.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  7.    #7  
    Do I have an other version, under my DELETE it doesnt say Delete Only on Treo. My list says:
    Reply All
    Forward
    Delete
    Flag
    Mark Unread
    Lock
    Move to Folder
    Add Sender to Contacts

It says I am using version: 2.0.3p1+u109:x61:m17:06

Also, if I have the sync to do every 60 minutes how do I push emails between the 60 minute intervals if I want to check it if I am waiting for an email to come thru before the next 60 minute auto sync.
    Last edited by Buldawg; 08/10/2006 at 07:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Do I have an other version, under my DELETE it doesnt say Delete Only on Treo. My list says:
    Reply All
    Forward
    Delete
    Flag
    Mark Unread
    Lock
    Move to Folder
    Add Sender to Contacts

It says I am using version: 2.0.3p1+u109:x61:m17:06
    Hmm.. even I use the latest beta/release candidate (2.0.3rc15) it shouldn't make a difference as this option has been added for a looooooong time...

You may want to email Marc (the developer) at support@chatteremail.com.

Also, if I have the sync to do every 60 minutes how do I push emails between the 60 minute intervals if I want to check it if I am waiting for an email to come thru before the next 60 minute auto sync.
    Do a manual QSync: menu-S (or Box -> QuickSync).

BTW, there may be some mix up in terminologies... If you set it to sync every 60 mins, you're not doing push-emails but pulling the emails (a.k.a. synching). Pushing is done in Chatter if you put your mailbox online w/o the need to do timed sync's (i.e. QSync's in Chatter).
    Last edited by webedc; 08/10/2006 at 07:15 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Oh, thank you for explaining that. Like I said I am a Treo *****. I have had it for about 10 months and I have always used the Wireless Snyc to grab my emails, I always heard of Chatter but I decided to try it today. Do I need to disable the Wireless Sync setting for any reason, like uncheck the Mail inbox, outbox, filed and drafts or is it okay to keep them enabled?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Wireless$ $Sync$ $can$ $co$-$exist$ $and$ $be$ $enabled$ $with$ $Chatter$ $running$. $However$, $you$ $may$ $want$ $to$ $be$ $careful$ $about$ $the$ $mail$ $handling$ $at$ $the$ $server$ $level$. $For$ $instance$, $if$ $you$'$ve$ $deleted$ $an$ $email$ $from$ $Wireless$ $Sync$ ($and$ $you$ $set$ $it$ $up$ $to$ $delete$ $at$ $the$ $server$ $also$), $the$ $same$ $email$ $may$ $not$ $show$ $up$ $in$ $Chatter$ $at$ $all$. $So$ $you$ $may$ $want$ $to$ $visit$ $the$ $setup$ $options$ $on$ $both$ $and$ $make$ $sure$ $they$ $don$'$t$ $conflict$ $with$ $each$ $other$.

As a suggestion, you may want to temporarily disable Wireless Sync while you're experimenting with Chatter. This may help reduce confusion.

Cheers!
  11.    #11  
    Webedc: I contacted Marc and he said the delete from treo only is not an option with IMAP (AOL). He basically told me to read the instructions and I did, and guess what, I setup all my mailboxes, and it seems to work good now and it is pulling the emails every 60 minutes like it is suppose to. Thanks for all your help guys! I like that I setup a spam mailbox and when one comes in it shows up in a red box SPAM, pretty neat.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update. Thanks for letting us know about the lack of "Delete From Treo Only" for AOL. (I'm sure it's there for generic IMAP as mine is a IMAP account for fastmail.fm).

When you're comfortable enough you might want to put your mailbox online all the time (i.e. true push email).

Enjoy your Chatter experience!
  13.    #13  
    What do you mean by putting my mailbox online all the time (true push), isnt it online now, when I do something on my Treo is does it on my PC thru the server and vise-versa, correct?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    In Chatter, an 'online' mailbox is one that stays online all the time. Emails will be pushed to your mailbox without QSync's. Only IMAP compliant accounts can be set up this way.

An 'offline' mailbox is one that stays offline all the time except when it's QSync'd. You currently set up your box to QSync every 30 mins and thus it's an 'offline' mailbox in Chatter. It's true that Chatter puts your mailbox 'online' when QSync occurs. Chatter puts your mailbox back to 'offline' mode when it's done synch'ing - until the next cycle kicks in or when you do a manual QSync.

It took me a while to understand this in Chatter's terminologies too when I first used it.

Anyway, if I'm still not explaining it right, and you're happy with the way you've set up now, then simply just keep your current settings. Enjoy your Chatter!