Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J0V3
    BUMBLE...

You are the man!!! Thanks for the quick update!!!

~JOVE
    I agree! Bumble is the man! Many thanks for your help, my update was successful and painless!
    Bumble, that's great, hope you stick around....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I'm wondering why both my 700p and Fusic (both EVDO phones) would not change from 20222 after updating today... is it possible that the 20223 PRL isn't in the system for all regions yet?

The updates happened, just no change in PRL number.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    Bumble, that's great, hope you stick around....
    I dealt with all the fun sprint customers for a year, before having to quit so I could run the family business. Offered to stay part time then, since I did enjoy the job for the most part, but they didnít need it. Now they do, so unless my other job gets too demanding and I donít see myself leaving.
    Thanks Bumble! I appreciate you taking the time to help us out!!!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600
    I got a fairly responsive rep this morning who put me on hold a couple of times until my account was flagged. I was able to call back almost immediately, but the first two times the update wouldn't start, so I waited a while and just before I decided to try again, I decided I would soft reset my phone. I used mReset and then immediately called, and this time, the update popup showed up while the message was playing and the programming finished well before the system said everything was complete.

Therefore my guidelines for getting the update are:
    1. Dial *2, ask Claire for "PRL Update" to get transferred to a rep. Get your phone number flagged for the update. Stay on the line, explicitly giving your current PRL number as well as the new PRL number that you are trying to be updated to.
    2. Soft reset the phone.
    3. Dial *2 and put it on speakerphone so you can watch your display. Immediately AFTER the message for Spanish speakers and BEFORE the message regarding your current balance, the system should acknowledge that it has "detected that an update is necessary for your phone". If not, return to step 1. If so, while that message is playing, a popup should show up and indicate that it is receiving an update and then doing the update. When it's finished, an OK acknowledgment will show up. At this point you can clear the message and hangup.
    thanks reset worked
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    Funny how hit or miss Sprint CS is. Sometimes I can call and get exactly what I need, and others...it is like dealing with Radio Shack employees....
    Hey! What's that supposed to mean?!
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Bumble,

Emailed you and you emailed me back in about 10 minutes. Did the update shortly after that. Took 1 minute on the first try. No reset required.

Thanks for the support and great service.

remltr
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    If you dial *2 again, does it tell you that an upgrade is still available? If so, it may take several tries (read posts above) for the update to stick.
    No it did not (first thing I tried).

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    It took me about 3 times this evening, then I got SPL unlocked and the update went through and took. Each other time it said update complete, but still 20222. Just be persistent. I soft resetted before each, but not sure it was necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot
    sprint is telling me that if u have treo 700 u have to bring into the store for prl update, for the older models u can do over the air, not sure with the 700 why u cant update via over the air
    With the last PRL update I got this too.... had to email once and call in twice to ask for it before it went through. One of the times I called the rep (who sounded right away like she had no idea what she was doing) took 5 min just to get her system going and then finally came back saying the same thing they told you. I called back again later and the next rep set it up correctly after which I had no problems.

Bottom line, saying you have to go in-store is BS. The rep claimed there was a service bulletin saying they can't to OTA updates to 700p's but I think what's happening is that the less knowledgable reps are confusing ROM updates with PRL updates.

P.S. This experience made me to decide to only bother PRL updating with every other PRL release. Given that many debate the magnitude of improvement that you can see with them, and that I'm already getting great EVDO performance in my area, to me it's really not worth risking some rep missunderstanding me and screwing my phone or account up in a big way (which given the hit or miss nature of the support reps is bound to happen sooner or later). I hate it when you get a rep that obviously doesn't know what they are doing and then starts poking around in your account to try and figure things out... always leaves me wondering exactly what they did as they stumbled blindly through things.
    Last edited by ajabbari; 08/15/2006 at 12:05 AM.
    Call and ask to be transferred to tech support. I had CS arguing with me as well that my phone had the latest update (despite its being -21 instead of -23). Phone was flagged 3 days ago, and a dozen *2 Talk's later, it finally stuck. I seemed to have missed this thread when I started a new one. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I think I finally got it to take because I called back, twice, something I've not done prior. In other words, I've always called *2 talk, checked that it was still -21 and said, screw it. I'll try again later.

This time, I did *2 Talk. Didn't check. Did *2 Talk, AGAIN. Pop-up window appeared that said something had been unlocked (maybe it said PCL? I don't recall, now). Thereafter, it updated and gave me an OK box to check. Now says -23.

Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari
    With the last PRL update I got this too.... had to email once and call in twice to ask for it before it went through. One of the times I called the rep (who sounded right away like she had no idea what she was doing) took 5 min just to get her system going and then finally came back saying the same thing they told you. I called back again later and the next rep set it up correctly after which I had no problems.

Bottom line, saying you have to go in-store is BS. The rep claimed there was a service bulletin saying they can't to OTA updates to 700p's but I think what's happening is that the less knowledgable reps are confusing ROM updates with PRL updates.

P.S. This experience made me to decide to only bother PRL updating with every other PRL release. Given that many debate the magnitude of improvement that you can see with them, and that I'm already getting great EVDO performance in my area, to me it's really not worth risking some rep missunderstanding me and screwing my phone or account up in a big way (which given the hit or miss nature of the support reps is bound to happen sooner or later). I hate it when you get a rep that obviously doesn't know what they are doing and then starts poking around in your account to try and figure things out... always leaves me wondering exactly what they did as they stumbled blindly through things.
    well ive tried twenty times. every time i call *2 is says there's update and after a minute it says complete. my problem is it doesnt change anything. the screen dosent say anything during the process either. sprint tech support said to take it in to repair center and the repair center said thay would have to order me a replacement. now i will get the refurbished phone on monday and who knows if it will work and or what other problems it will have.

i dont understand why my flagged prl updates are going through fine, unlike most of you guys. my problem is it just doesnt take.

am i mistaking you guys when you are having problems with the update. is it never saying " an update is available, please stay on the line durring this process." or is it like mine where is says it's doing the update but nothing appears on the screen and after it says update is complete it never changes the prl?

please, just for the newbees, expalin agian which of these you are getting. i don't want a refubished phone with other problems.

thanks, cody
    If you sign on to your Sprint account and go to support, you can then send them a message asking for your cell number to be flagged for a PRL update.

They will then send you an email asking to confirm info. After you reply to that email they will send you another email saying that you need to dial *2 to get the update.

All of this took about two hours from the first request to the last emial they sent me.

Never have to bother talking to anyone and trying to persuade them what you need.
    Give it a go and Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc
    well ive tried twenty times. every time i call *2 is says there's update and after a minute it says complete. my problem is it doesnt change anything. the screen dosent say anything during the process either. sprint tech support said to take it in to repair center and the repair center said thay would have to order me a replacement. now i will get the refurbished phone on monday and who knows if it will work and or what other problems it will have.

i dont understand why my flagged prl updates are going through fine, unlike most of you guys. my problem is it just doesnt take.

am i mistaking you guys when you are having problems with the update. is it never saying " an update is available, please stay on the line durring this process." or is it like mine where is says it's doing the update but nothing appears on the screen and after it says update is complete it never changes the prl?

please, just for the newbees, expalin agian which of these you are getting. i don't want a refubished phone with other problems.

thanks, cody
    It took me a couple of tries before my Treo and LG Fusic took the latest PRL's... I think it comes down to some tweaks that Sprint is still making to complete PRL updates on EVDO phones.
    I read this quickly--but don't xchange a NEW phone for a refurb. over this. the problem isn't with your phone, but is with Sprint.

Many people were not able to get the update to work (myself included). Try what I did--do it TWICE.

*2 Talk. Let it go through the update routine. If you get the pop-up, you're fine. If not, Repeat. RIGHT THEN. Don't hit any other keys. Don't leave the phone screen.

Simply *2 Talk again. Worked for me. But it could have just been a coincidence.

I thought it might be a software conflict or a hack I had on the phone, so I'd even tried from a hard-reset state (w/ nothing else on the phone, and it still didn't stick). Tech support told me they were having difficulties pushing this to the phones.

thanks, cody
    When I call *2, it keeps wanting to redirect to a CS rep...is there anyway I can avoid speaking to a rep..and just try to have it update?
    ok, I got it. here is how I did it. you only have to have your account flaged once. once it is flaged dial *2. you will here somthing like " an update is available for your phone please stay on the line. " if after this with in a few seconds you don't see the screen prompt saying " pcl unlocked" and you hear the second message "plaese continue to stay on tjhe line" then hang up. the trick is not to let thw update complete if your not seeing the screen display " pcl unlocked" and or " prl updating". you can hang up, do resets, make other calls, go to apps, what ever and the flaged prl will still be there. ( if thay flaged it in the first place) this took me about 20 tries on the same flaged prl update. I did get it tho.

hope this helps, cody

ps: in reguards to the previous post it sounds like they didn't flag your account. you should hear almost right from the begining " you account has an update, plaese stay on the line".
    ok, I got it. here is how I did it. you only have to have your account flaged once. once it is flaged dial *2. you will here somthing like " an update is available for your phone please stay on the line. " if after this with in a few seconds you don't see the screen prompt saying " pcl unlocked" and you hear the second message "plaese continue to stay on tjhe line" then hang up. the trick is not to let thw update complete if your not seeing the screen display " pcl unlocked" and or " prl updating". you can hang up, do resets, make other calls, go to apps, what ever and the flaged prl will still be there. ( if thay flaged it in the first place) this took me about 20 tries on the same flaged prl update. I did get it tho.

hope this helps, cody

ps: in reguards to the previous post it sounds like they didn't flag your account. you should hear almost right from the begining " you account has an update, plaese stay on the line".
    Yup -- good strategy. So in summary, if your TREO 700p doesn't have a "SPL unlocked" pop-up on your screen during the first 15 seconds of the automated voice that is telling you to stay on the line while your phone is being updated, HANG UP AND DON'T WAIT FOR THE UPDATING TO END. Instead, soft reset your phone after hanging up early, and call *2 again.
    After 6 or 8 attempts, and on the advice of a Sprint Tech Support Rep, I went to my local Sprint store and had them do the prl update via a wired connection. The Tech Support Rep that referred me to the Sprint Store was very knowledgeable and said that: "for unknown reasons some of the 700p's require a wired connection to update and will not complete the update via the radio." The Sprint store completed the update in short order.

The Sprint Tech Reps that I had previously spoken with didn't have a clue. Two Reps said that "You don't need the update." and the others got all caught up in their underwear on various fruitless expeditions.

FYI,

Gordon Dickens
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast