Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No, it's easier done than said.

Keep the Treo in a case or in your pocket around, or at the least, face down. Problem solved.

As for your wife/girlfriends wondering about all you IM's, you just need to learn discretion.

Anyway, if she is snooping in your stuff, you obviously are either not training her right, or have given her reason to be suspicious.

If you REALLY want to get away with your affairs (which I think are way too much trouble - just grab a girlie mag, jack-off, and save yourself the trouble), this might help:

- Get a prepaid phone, and give that number out to the chicks. Keep the phone out of sight, and off unless you are alone. Tell them to leave messages and you'll get back to them. Remeber to clear the call logs after each use, and if you do have contacts for them, use fake names like "Customer Service", "411" and "Technical Support" - something a snooper wouldn't readily call.

If you really want the contacts in full view for ease of used, get multiple SIMs (GSM only) and pop it in when you need it and switch it out afterwards.

- Never, ever, ever, give the chick your home, work, or main cell number. Those "virtual numbers" are good fillers; (ala VOIP services, softphones, eFax, etc), that just go to voicemail and then send you an email.

- Create a different instant messaging ID for chatting with them. Do not give out your main one.

- On the computer, store all you file files (including email message stores) in an encrypted volume that you have to mount and enter a password for. You can even install a browser like Firefox into that location and keep your web stuff hidden. Programs like TruCrypt are free and easy.

- Finally, get a prepaid credit card or refillable one, and use that for transactions. That way, if someone is snooping at your credit card bill, they don't see any incriminating charges.(Using cash is best, but not always practical.)

A few easy steps to keep the wench(es) in your life from finding out what a dirty dog you are.
    The funniest part about these posts is the fact that guys on a message board about a 'smartphone' (which would normally scream NERDS!) are talking about being "players". What a riot.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    I just keep my phone face down. My wife doesn't pay too much attention to my Treo. I don't have much too hide with the exception to when my buddies contact me with some silly stuff that is for my eyes only. If I was on the players field again...this thread makes perfect sense.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think you're stuck in the 80's, watching too many re-runs of "Weird Science".

A smartphone might have been nerdy a few years ago, but it's mainstream now and means you have a job and money. (which are checkpoints for chicks).

It's not about being a playa, which is basically a young fool banging anything with two legs and a hole.
    They can be identified by their hip-hop attitude, clothes, and an affinity for annoying ringtones.
    Also known as "losers".

It's about keeping your private activities private. "social" sites like myspace, craiglists, and others have shown there are a lot of poon-a-rific chicks of legal age willing to have fun with the average guy, or at least the guy who can spend some $$ on them, pretend to listen to them (as opposed to playing xbox all day), and compliment their "inner beauty".

This is all fine and good, except if you are a guy who is in an institution. The institution of marriage, that is. Unfortunately, the wife has forgotten that men need affection and sex as a normal course of daily existence, or are too wrapped up with their own neuroses.

But the guy stays, usually out of either do to finances (can't afford a divorce) or because of kids, who they are responsible for (guys know divorce is ****ty on kids and will avoid it if at all possible.)

So they look for something to fill a natural need. (like I said before, I think it's too much trouble, but to each their own).

I'm just saying there are easy ways to be careful and still have your fun/thrills.
    Its all fun...I would never take anything with two legs...three maybe.
    at&t iPhone3G
  6.    #26  
    Some people take this topic far too seriously. I - for one, though I suspect that I am not alone - am divorced, owe the circumstance largely to AOL Instant Messenger and an ex-wife with a college era boyfriend and too much time her hands. I am in a great relationship NOW, but in the process of getting here made a few friends who check in from time to time to let me know how they are doing, to see what I am up to and stay in touch. This makes the new girl uncomfortable. I don't blame her, though its nothing she needs to concern herself with. Hence, the desire for a software program for the Treo that meets the credo "Discretion is the Greater Part of Valor".

Laying the Treo face-down is a wonderful idea, though it does tend to imply that I have something to hide, when I merely have something that I want to keep "discrete". Laying the Treo face down on the bedside table will STILL light up at 1AM should some drunken dame decide to send me a silly message after bars close. No - we really need this program...
    dude - if you gotta hide things from the wife/gf, then just lock the phone down and keep it away

on the other hand - you're probably gonna get caught (somehow)

I've been caught many times and screwed up many times --- I finally learned my lesson ---- I have found ONE terrific woman, who I don't need to hide any secrets from, mainly because I ain't playing around behind her

not that I'm being judgemental --- but dudes --- hiding your email account, phone account, etc etc ---- it is a taxing proposition after awhile ---- just find ONE kickass gf/wife, and life is GOOD
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I have to agree with MikeC that it is more about your attitude than using a simple program. It's more about your habits across the board and the kinds of expectations you have set up in a relationship. One of the biggest ways to get caught generally is a change in behavior. Woman look for that. That is what trips you up. So it is good to start a relationship the way you'd like to have it be later on, "ie" to train the lady from the beginning. Things like having regular nights out with your buddies from the beginning to cover yourself if and when your ever want that time for something else is a smart habit for instance. You gotta know what you want in a relationship before you get into it. Once you give up something to a woman like, your privacy or all your evenings at home with her, it's a b*tch to get that back. My treo stays in my pocket. Otherwise it is off. People, including my wife, know that I use the phone for me to reach them and not the other way around. Folks leave me messages which I check when it suits me. Now, my days of fooling around and playing the field are generally behind me at this point, but as a matter of principle, and to set an example for my sons, I maintain my space, time, and right to privacy. A woman can " hen peck" you only as far as you let her. And that's something you gotta get straight from the beginning.

Most of MikeC's advice is pretty sound. So if you're into playing around, I'd heed his words if I were you.
    Last edited by southbound747; 08/12/2006 at 11:43 PM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrfresh
    The funniest part about these posts is the fact that guys on a message board about a 'smartphone' (which would normally scream NERDS!) are talking about being "players". What a riot.
    Shows what you know. I learned a long time ago not to stereotype people. Life is not as one dimensional as you think and neither are people.
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    dude - if you gotta hide things from the wife/gf, then just lock the phone down and keep it away

on the other hand - you're probably gonna get caught (somehow)

I've been caught many times and screwed up many times --- I finally learned my lesson ---- I have found ONE terrific woman, who I don't need to hide any secrets from, mainly because I ain't playing around behind her

not that I'm being judgemental --- but dudes --- hiding your email account, phone account, etc etc ---- it is a taxing proposition after awhile ---- just find ONE kickass gf/wife, and life is GOOD

Agreed.
    I am a firm beliver in that too at a certain point in a man's life. It is good to marry a good woman and be faithful to each other other. Having said that though, I am convinced most men really need time to play the field. And the ones that don't do that early and then get married generally regret it later and cheat in their marriages. Once kids are in the picture it's time, IMO, to be serious. So I see nothing wrong with younger single guys doing what they gotta do. I encourage my older son to think that way. Get it out of your system so you can settle down peacefully later.
    Keefer,

You aren't alone...I knows dozens of guys whose wives who went "AWOL" - American ***** Online", through chat rooms, etc.

As for your new girl, it's good she is uncomfortable. She should always feel that it she doesn't make you happy, there are 20 floozies out there that will. This forces honesty and the appropriate give and take in a relationship (as opposed to the "take", which most chicks do).

the moment she think you are ****-locked to her, she will lose the motivation to make you happy, because there is no competition.

A 2AM SMS from an old booty call is just the thing to keep her in line, even if you don't act on it.

Trust me, your relationship seems great now, but these things have a way of repeating themselves. Your wonderful girlfriend one day can turn AWOL in an instant.

Why not just turn off your phone? That is the easiest way to avoid it.

As for "face down means you're hiding something", give me a break - if she is that paranoid, then dump her - it's a sign of things to come.
    Here's what I'd like: sometimes my spouse (or a friend) borrows my phone. It would be cool if there was a quick button I could hit to disable ALL access to the PDA functions (email, programs, SMS) -- and the person would only be able to use the phone app. Everything would be temporarily disabled, included SMS and email popups, call log, etc.
    southbound747,

I agree completely. Set boundaries up front and stick to them, and make sure she knows you are serious. Otherwise, you will never get the space you need.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    Here's what I'd like: sometimes my spouse (or a friend) borrows my phone. It would be cool if there was a quick button I could hit to disable ALL access to the PDA functions (email, programs, SMS) -- and the person would only be able to use the phone app. Everything would be temporarily disabled, included SMS and email popups, call log, etc.
    What would be cooler is if there was a way to set up user profiles like on Windows XP that could be quickly set to "Me", "Nite" and "Guest" or "Kids" where you could toggle quickly through wholly different profiles - password protected perhaps - that would give you the ability to protect your own privacy without melting like the Wicked Witch at the suggestion that your wife or girlfriend borrow your Treo while she runs to the store...

I remember the good old days when my ex-wife and I SHARED one cell phone. I can't even imagine that in a relationship now - nothing could cause more horrific facial contortions than the thought of asking someone - a boyfriend or girlfriend - if you could borrow their phone for ANY period of time...
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    There is no single application can meet your requirement, however, the combination gonna do the job for you.

0. ChangeME: use to rename the sensitive application, e.g Messaging to Sefl Destroy
    1. Zlauncher: create a new tab, then move all sensitive application into that tab. Go to tab Properties..., choose Hide.
    2. CallFilter: set rule (s) for phone call, sms from special number(s) for specific time. You can set rules as delete sms, send call to voice mail, etc... In the General preferences check "Log all actions" but un-check "Notify Using Attention Manager". Whenever you have a call or sms, this application gonna delete the message and show no kinda sign on phone, but you still can read it later in "Phone Status"
    3. Kill Sound: set sound profile for your phone.
    4. FakeCall: in case you want to sneak out to make a phone call or simply have a glance on sms.

All of them work like charm on Treo 650 GSM. I never try treo 700p, hopefully there's no difference on your phone. Play safe and have fun.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/391c8b45.jpg http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/05c7dbf6.jpg http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/dab7c6f3.jpg http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/9292dbc2.jpg
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Applock - locks anything any programs you want to have someone not have access too.

Butler - stops sms messages from popping up.

PShack locks treo - http://handysolution.com/pshack.htm

You might as well use "mylovers" to keep track - http://www.pdasoftnet.com/mylovers/

What and how you use them for is up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    But just being loyal fixes all/most of those problems though
    If you don't want your text messages to pop up, simply disable the pop ups by going to prefs, then sounds & alerts, and in the application field select Messaging. There you'll see "Show Message Alerts" with a check box next to it. Uncheck it and the alerts won't pop up anymore. You'll still hear the alert tone, you just won't see the message
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Wow... This thread is very interesting! Despite being a female that is faithful to her man, I would like to have an app such as the one the OP described. I'd use it to keep my stories-in-progress hidden. I'm an aspiring writer(who srites on her Treo lol) & I don't want anyone reading my stuff till its published. I'd also hide my texts. NOT because I'm flirting or anything, but I have a lot of male friends(no im not a ****, all my friends are guys just cause i don't get along with 99 percent of girls) that send me messages that the BF might misconstrue. E.G.- They'll call me "sweetie" & whatnot. Its all innocent, but it could look bad. He's kind of a jealous guy, lol... But I'm an insanely jealous GF so I have to let him snoop through my phone if I expect him to let me snoop through his.
    Oops. I was looking for the Treo discussion forum. I have obviously stumbled across the trio forum.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast