Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I'm trying to see if anyone has had this happen. I've searched the posts and haven't found anything.

The last three times I went to the beach with my Treo I came back with the touchpad dead. I also can't scroll to the right in top dropdown menus using the 5-way nav button.

The first time I unscrewed everything and took it completely apart to see if there was any sand stuck in it and it looked clean. I put it back together and everything worked fine....touchpad...5-way button and all.

The next time it happened I unscrewed it again and opened the case...closed it right up and it worked fine again.

The last time I kept the battery in and did a screw by screw test to see how far I had to open it to get it to work again. I unscrewed all the screws except the one by the reset button and it still had a dead touchpad. I unscrewed that last screw and didn't even open the case a millimeter and everything worked fine again. So...I screwed everythign back in a little looser and I'm in business again.

Any ideas or guesses? Does this last screw release pressure in a key spot? Trapped moisture? humidity? Sea air?

I suppose I'm not complaining since it is an easy fix every time, but it is quite puzzling.

Michael
    I'm no pro by any stretch. . . but is it possible that the heat alone is making everything expand just enough to increase the pressure?
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgiven
    I'm trying to see if anyone has had this happen. I've searched the posts and haven't found anything.

The last three times I went to the beach with my Treo I came back with the touchpad dead. I also can't scroll to the right in top dropdown menus using the 5-way nav button.

The first time I unscrewed everything and took it completely apart to see if there was any sand stuck in it and it looked clean. I put it back together and everything worked fine....touchpad...5-way button and all.

The next time it happened I unscrewed it again and opened the case...closed it right up and it worked fine again.

The last time I kept the battery in and did a screw by screw test to see how far I had to open it to get it to work again. I unscrewed all the screws except the one by the reset button and it still had a dead touchpad. I unscrewed that last screw and didn't even open the case a millimeter and everything worked fine again. So...I screwed everythign back in a little looser and I'm in business again.

Any ideas or guesses? Does this last screw release pressure in a key spot? Trapped moisture? humidity? Sea air?

I suppose I'm not complaining since it is an easy fix every time, but it is quite puzzling.

Michael
    My personal opinion I will NEVER bring ANY of my phones to the beach... NEVER will I bring a device like a Treo to the beach...... You have to have money just lying around if you're bringing a Treo to the BEACH!
    It could be the heat... I've heard of someone who buried their Treo in the sand and when he took it out, it still worked...

My Treo 650 spends every weekend at the beach in ventnor, hence my screen name! I've never had a challenge with sand creating problems. Granted it stays in the silicone S650 skin case with boxwave screen protector,... it has got sand, seawater, and some beer spilled on it. Although when not using it I do make sure to keep it out of the sun, as prolonged exposure to the electronics and LCD screen might cause challenges. The skin case is nice too, because if you drop in the sand (which I've done once), it is relatively easy to clean it lands on the skin side.

Even if you get a heavy fog of sea breeze mist on the screen, do not clean it at the beach! Never clean your Treo screen or sunglases at the beach, one errant sand grain will destroy your screen, screen protector, or sunglasses instantly. If u have no choice but to clean the margarita off your screen at the beach,..pat gently in one place,...don't rub the screen with circular motions.

on another note:
    One time I cleaned the headphone jack with alcohol, powered it on prematurely and boom,... it would not power on for over one hour even hitting the reset hole numerous times,... but then magically. It was up and running again after the alcohol evaporated. Those rascally engineers!
    I miss Sam
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SymbianPalm
    My personal opinion I will NEVER bring ANY of my phones to the beach... NEVER will I bring a device like a Treo to the beach...... You have to have money just lying around if you're bringing a Treo to the BEACH!
    Aquapac. I use it all the time on the jet ski, boat, or camping.

http://store.treocentral.com/store_i.../large/608.jpg