Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    After reading posts I went ahead and purchased a cert from godaddy. I still can't get my 680 to sync with exchange. I would use chatter if I didn't need to be able to synchronize our public calendar. What else could I be missing. Settings from my old version of versamail leave me with a cannot connect with server. The only thing I can think that i am doing wrong is installing the cert in the wrong location on IIS. I am installing it in "default web site". Is this correct? Any other suggestions? Any chance of installing the old version of versamail on my 680?
    Well I too have a 680 phone with the dreaded versamail 3.5. I run our exchange server and have for years. I'll have the poster who said any admin that disgrees about SSL doesn't deserver to be an admin know that I do agree with SSL but I highly disagree with versamail forcing me to use one of their approved list and even then its not a fix for most. The issue with versamail is VERSAMAIL. Versamail 3.5 was intended to go on the 650 Treo but due to development issues was post poned and they went with the 3.1 or 3.2 version on the 650. Well due the versamail 3.5 being a different animal and something to do with 680's build the versmail 3.5 client cannot be uninstalled and lnor can one oad the old working versamail 3.1 on the new 680. Yes, I have called Palm and this is the answer I have been given several times by support and someone proclaiming to be a development engineer. I think SSL is great but at least release it with the ability to enter your own server ceretificate like a windows mobile does. Do not force your poor programing standards/security options on a device and limit the consumers options. They are rumored to be releasing a newer versamail that will allow this but there is no sure fire ETA on the date. I to tried the SSL certificate route with Verisign (if you know much of SSL certificates you should recognize them as they are the largest certificate provider nearly). A few of their techs that have the newer Treo informed me that they could not get it to work either and also clued me in on the conversation that they had with palm concerning it. They were basically told there is nothing palm can do for versamail 3.5 and that well it wasn't really intended to be on the 680 platform but ended up their due to marketing. Any how they intend to release a newer versamail sometime that you will be able to edit certificates or add certificates you see fit. Basically long story short your screwed for the time being. They need to build a utility that would allow you to edit the certificate library on the versamail 3.5 platform or in my opinion allow those who bought the phone to get a similar phone with at least windows mobile on it instead. Running snappermail for now with no problems but the active sync was versamail main feature they users enjoyed. Currently going to pursue returning the 680 for a windows mobile platform sense the phone is jsut a couple weeks old. I would not pay 10 bucks for versamail if you cannot use the SSL with your own certificate just my opinion but if your going to be limited to that route go with chatteremail or snappermail. they do a much better job. just wish either had active sync with the ability to add your own certificate in their certificate librarys.
    Last edited by southern78; 01/13/2007 at 10:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebottle View Post
    After reading posts I went ahead and purchased a cert from godaddy. I still can't get my 680 to sync with exchange. I would use chatter if I didn't need to be able to synchronize our public calendar. What else could I be missing. Settings from my old version of versamail leave me with a cannot connect with server. The only thing I can think that i am doing wrong is installing the cert in the wrong location on IIS. I am installing it in "default web site". Is this correct? Any other suggestions? Any chance of installing the old version of versamail on my 680?
    Not sure if this helps but...I sort of had the same issue. I recently swapped the 700wx for a 700p (again! Treo 600,650,700p,700wx,700wx,700wx,700p! WHEW!) I really enjoyed activesync on the 700wx, but had to dump it due to poor radio / tower / signal issues w/sprint where I live. 700p is STRONG on signal!

Anyway, Versamail is weak for mail, yet I like that it will at least sync my calendar and address book. So, I use Chattermail strictly for mail since it's so much better (wish i didn't have to use imap though). I setup and use Versamail to Sync only the addressbook and calendar, and unchecked mail.

Still, not sure if this is an option for you but your issue sounded somewhat familiar. Let me know if it did or not.
    Can anybody tell me how i do synch my contacts and calendars with an exchange server/zimbra server?
    versamail says it can do that, but after reading all the posts im not so sure anymore!
    Chattermail just do email, but i need the calendar and the contacts!

Does anybody has some ideas?
    would be grat to get some help on this issue?
    philippsen
    Last edited by philippsen; 07/10/2007 at 05:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by philippsen View Post
    Can anybody tell me how i do synch my contacts and calendars with an exchange server/zimbra server?
    versamail says it can do that, but after reading all the posts im not so sure anymore!
    Chattermail just do email, but i need the calendar and the contacts!

Does anybody has some ideas?
    would be grat to get some help on this issue?
    philippsen
    Your IT department has to have Exchange Active Sync setup on the server. They then give you an address that you put into Versamail just like you would a pop or imap account, with the exception you choose Exchange Active Sync. You IT department may also have some other security settings. It's simple to set up once you know the information.
    Seems there is a fix provided by palm. We use the default cert on our exchange server. Palm now offeres a tool to install that cert into your devices dictionary.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...rtmodtool.html

Have not tried it yet but Ill let you know tomorrow. Stupid to develop something like this. Especially on a Palm.

pk
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Hey all - just though I would throw my two cents in and tell you about my experiences.

I've been a long time Chatter user and am extremely happy with it. I have the EX plugin (which, by the way, you can obtain for free these days) and it syncs well with my work's exchange server (except for some flag issues).

I decided to mess around with getting Versamail 3.5 setup on my 700p so that I could sync my contact and calendar but still use Chatter for my email. The tech that setup our server used the default SSL certificate for our mail server. As you all know, Palm doesn't recognize the default certificate on their trusted root certificate list.

So, I tracked down the Certificate Modifcation Tool that Peeka mentioned above. It updated no problem. I got past the first certificate issue only to find another issue. The defaul certificate covers several function - our web address, our sharepoint server, etc...basically I found out that Versamail will only process a certificate that has the mail server as the only entry.

I am going to go down the GoDaddy road and try to have that certificate service only the exchange server. I will post when I have an update.
    I like my TREO 650. And thank you very much "cryptooth" your directions were spot on for fixing my "No trusted root Update certificate authority list."

Good on ya
    i have versamail 3.1 and can't sync to my work outlook server - error is "server refused the connection"
    after trawling the forums, i understand there is a certificate modification tool which should by pass this, but i cant get it to work.

alternatively i want to know if i purchase versamail 3.5 whether it will work?

any ideas?/???? my work will not support any installation of software or do anything on their server side.
    people with iphones can sync no problem using their ms exchange software.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12