1.    #1  
    Im new to treo the treo world. In a nutshell, I did a sync that failed, so I re-sync'd. I then noticed that all my contacts were gone but 2. I have no clue what the heck I did, but my entire phone book is gone. I tried to get it back looking through the menus, but I have gotten nowhere. All my business contacts were on the phone and backed up to the desktop. Now they are gone from both. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN and thanks from a nOObie!!!

~Jay
    What OS you running on your PC?
    XP & Me Both have a restore feature.
    May not help though, just an idea.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    What OS you running on your PC?
    XP & Me Both have a restore feature.
    May not help though, just an idea.
    I just did a test.
    Deleted a few contacts from Palm Desktop, and then did a restore.
    Didn't work.
    Sorry, maybe someone else has an idea.
    Just call me Berd.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gentner8
    Im new to treo the treo world. In a nutshell, I did a sync that failed, so I re-sync'd. I then noticed that all my contacts were gone but 2. I have no clue what the heck I did, but my entire phone book is gone. I tried to get it back looking through the menus, but I have gotten nowhere. All my business contacts were on the phone and backed up to the desktop. Now they are gone from both. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN and thanks from a nOObie!!!

~Jay
    Look in your BackUp folder (C:/Program Files/Palm/<username>/backup), maybe? I don't know, you may be sailing up that proverbial creek .
    Jay,

Sorry to hear this happened to you. The only thing that I can think might help is if you had done a previous hotsync that worked. There's a slim chance that recovery software could find the "deleted" files, if they have not been overwritten on a PC. I don't know if the hotsynch overwrites the files or just deletes/replaces them on the PC.

Otherwise ny only suggestion would be to enter the contacts into either Palm Desktop or Outlook (which ever app you sync to) and then sync them back. At least that is easier than re-entering them all using the Treo keyboard.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  6.    #6  
    yes, its looking like I have to try some kind of undelete software. I am running windows xp and tried restore with no dice. on one hand this really sucks, but on the positive side, it may help condense my phonebook. It really figures though, I just sold my other cell phone that had my entire phonebook on it. Needless to say that too got erased before shipping...... the sad thing is, I am fairly computer savvy. This is just a whole new world to me. Thanks for trying to help me out though!!!!
    Per NRG's post, did you check to see if you had a backup subfolder?

Windows' restore feature usually only works with Windows settings, not with files or folders. Check out tech websites for reviews/info on good restore programs to try. www.techguy.com is a decent forum with pretty knowledgeable people (and it's fair share of not-so-knowledgeable - but they're good at keeping it to a minimum).

Norton's protected recycle bin was great for this kind of thing. But it's become such bloatware that I don't recommend or use it.

Not to state the obvious, but it might be good to look into backup applications for the Treo that backup to the SD card or to the PC (this is separate from hotsynching). Backing up your PC regularly to an external drive is also a good thing to look into.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    if you are using outlook, look in the folder Handheld Synchronization it should be under the personal folders heirarchy, you should see backups of everything outlook syncs to the Treo, if theres nothing there, look in the Deleted folders in your outlook, it has happened to me before and outlook puts all your contacts and memos, and task into your deleted items folders just take them out and drag the contatcs to the contacs folder
    Quote Originally Posted by gentner8

~Jay
    if you use outlook, check the deleted items folder

if you use palm desktop, check the username

also check (C:/Program Files/Palm/<username>/address/address.bak
    if it has more than a 100kb let me know
    Last edited by jaypee; 08/09/2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: oops, wrong file