Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I often use public PCs and am looking for a "portable" PIM -- capable of running off a USB thumb drive without leaving data traces on the host PC -- that can sync with the data on my Treo.

Best solution would allow hotsync style synchronization. But easy import/export of data to Palm Desktop would be better than nothing.

Has anyone come across this?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    I often use public PCs and am looking for a "portable" PIM -- capable of running off a USB thumb drive without leaving data traces on the host PC -- that can sync with the data on my Treo.

Best solution would allow hotsync style synchronization. But easy import/export of data to Palm Desktop would be better than nothing.

Has anyone come across this?
    How about the San Disk Plus SD card?

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/sa...sdplus-001.jpg
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. The idea, though, is not to back up the Palm data. I want to use a PIM on the PC -- Palm Desktop would be fine if I could set it up this way -- not on the Palm. So for instance I can type in a lot of new Contacts and appointments and generally use the greater input efficiency of the PC, then sync back to the Palm.

I want to do this without leaving my personal data on the host PC. Ideally I'd be using a "portable" piece of PC software -- this is software that's designed to be run from a removable drive, such as a USB thumb drive, without requiring "installation" onto the host PC and without writing temp or other files to the host PC's boot drive. See this site for more explanation and examples.

It's possible to install Palm Desktop on a new machine and then use Tools ... Options to set the Data Directory to the thumb drive, but that still means I have to have admin privileges on every machine, and it's likely that temp files are written to the boot drive anyway. I'm looking for a "portable" app that can sync with a Treo to a PC.
    There is a version of Windows that can be booted from an USB drive. One can install applications on it, and run these from the drive itself... i.e. it is standalone and does not mess with the local HDDs.

Works with PowerPoint etc. don't know about Palm Desktop.
  5.    #5  
    How do I get that version? Sounds like a good answer.
    What about an online calendar? like clearsync?
    Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    How do I get that version? Sounds like a good answer.
    I haven't done this myself. But i've seen my colleagues do it for some purpose or the other.

It requires some software (please search the web for this one) that makes some kind of a file pack from your EXISTING Windows XP installation on the PC. This file pack can be copied to the USB memory AFTER formatting the memory with some utility that makes it bootable. You can then boot from the drive and install applications.

I can find the details if you want and post them here. But I suspect the whole thing is on the fence as far as legal issues are concerned.
    In case some of you missed it, in the Palm Desktop, you can go to [Tools]->[Options] and select the [Data Directory] under the [General] tab. Probably you can select the USB drive and directory there. (not tried it myself, though)

Not very useful in this particular case.
  9.    #9  
    re clearsync: i'm trying to protect confidential data, so i don't want my info on any web site, regardless of ostensible security measures there. but it looks cool.

i'll give some thought to the bootable thumb drive.

for now, if i have to install Palm Desktop, I install it TO the thumb drive and tell it to store data there.
    But arent you going to miss all the registry entries by installing palm desktop to a usb key? Palm desktop is not an opensource project that understands logic, and stores all its dependancies in 1 folder. I am not trying to throw a wet blanket, but I just dont think that what you are trying to do is possible with the current toolchain.

is there an open source palm sync tool?

As a derivation of your query...
    Get a 4 gig thumb drive
    Install a image of disk based linuk to the thumb drive
    Install http://www.pilot-link.org stuff
    Boot machine into linux
    do email in evolution
    sync to linux
    shut down machine
    remove thumb drive

Would that work for you?

what about a network sync through a vpn? I dont even know if that is possible.
  11.    #11  
    You're probably right about the current tool chain.

Linux would be a huge learning curve for me. Never touched the stuff. I doubt I can put in the time, but good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ygthb
    But arent you going to miss all the registry entries by installing palm desktop to a usb key? Palm desktop is not an opensource project that understands logic, and stores all its dependancies in 1 folder. I am not trying to throw a wet blanket, but I just dont think that what you are trying to do is possible with the current toolchain.

is there an open source palm sync tool?

As a derivation of your query...
    Get a 4 gig thumb drive
    Install a image of disk based linuk to the thumb drive
    Install http://www.pilot-link.org stuff
    Boot machine into linux
    do email in evolution
    sync to linux
    shut down machine
    remove thumb drive

Would that work for you?

what about a network sync through a vpn? I dont even know if that is possible.
    Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Tungsten T|3 > Unlocked Cingular Treo 650 on T-Mo

Favorite Apps: zLauncher (To run apps from SD card), Butler (MUST HAVE), Pocket Quicken, TCPMP, Profiles (Smarter than the Silent Mode switch on the top), MiniTones (to assign Mp3 Ringtones), SplashID, pTunes, VoicePad & NotePad (from a Lifedrive), HS Extension 2.0 Hack, TreoNaviText.
    gellmanb, did you find an app that will let you have PIM+Sync on the USB drive?
    I read on this forum (EssentialPIM, but they decided not to support PalmOS only PPC) that "thomas" (see post around the middle of the thread) did find an app that does both (PIM on USB and sync to PalmOS):
    http://www.essentialpim.com/forum/vi...highlight=palm
    "thomas" does not mention the app name (only initials?),
    But I do suspect he is referring to CarryItEasy+Plus by CoSoSys:
    http://www.carryiteasy.com/carryiteasy+plus.html
    But I couldn't find any reference to Palm sync capabilities, can you?

Poco Systems are offering "Barca Palm Sync" (beta...) that works with their Barca product, but I don't know if you can store Barca on a USB drive or not.

Anyways, I hope this helps, if you find out anything interesting please update.

Ix.
    I checked CarryItEasy from CoSoSys and it doesn't seem they support Palm sync (I think...), in his post on EssentialPIM's forum "thomas" mention that the comany/product name is "c-or.....", I'm not sure what he means, he probably didn't want to publish a competing product name on their forum.

If you can figure it out I'd love to know.
  15.    #15  
    I wondered about c-or too, but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will have a look at the XP idea.

There is one other possibility. I could burn a custom CD, bootable, with Palm Desktop and other essentials installed, then use USB to write the data. I don't understand windows well enough to know whether that would bypass the PC's hard drive altogether. For instance, what would be done with temp files and swap files?
  16.    #16  
    CD capacity on the other hand may not be great enough. I could burn a DVD but not all PCs can read them, and I don't know if they can be the boot drive as easily as a CD can.
    There's info on making a bootable USB drive on O'Reilly at http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmed...lash_driv.html.

Potential issues with this are that the public computer allows booting from anything other than the hard drive, possible virus/keylogger/trojan apps on the host pc that might affect the USB drive, and encryption of the USB drive to protect that sensitive info.

Your concern about temp/swap files on the host PC is valid, too. I vaguely recall some app that was also kept on the USB and made sure all of that stuff was removed from the host PC.

This page has a link to a company that offers a Linux OS and OpenOffice on a USB (basically, they put the free stuff on for you, instead of you doing it) and it works on either Linux or Windows. They mention that the OpenOffice PIM program is compatible with Outlook. So, I supposed you could use this, import into Outlook, and sync with Outlook.
    http://channels.lockergnome.com/linu...ice_apps.phtml
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Anyone ever figure this out?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    TNTreoUser, you might explore installing Palm Desktop onto a BartPE Windows bootable environment. I'm not sure how that would work, but I know that I was able to put a file manager application on my BartPE disk. If so, you should be able to add applications before you create the BartPE image. BartPE is meant as a rescue tool (and an insanely useful one, at that), so it's not a full featured environment, but if you really want to run Desktop and keep your hotsync data on a removable medium, this may be your best bet.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10806

If you don't mind running Palm Desktop from a computer but want to keep your data on a thumb drive, you could just set the location of the data files in your preferences to point at that thumbdrive instead of your C:\Program files\...

One of the minimalist Linux distributions installed to a thumbdrive could also serve the same purpose if you're up to the task, and assuming as with BartPE that you don't mind doing your hotsyncing outside of a normal Windows session.
    I'm thinking that you'd have to look into this very carefully. Even if you are "running" from a thumb drive, if the OS is running on the host computer it will be saving/swapping data to swap files, temp files...a lot of possible places. And if there is a keyboard logger or other similar software running on the host? Again, your data may be grabbed or saved.

If you want security or confidentiality...you have to look closely, and then look to "known secure" hardware and encryption.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast