Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I read about a few people on here that have painted their treos. Well I used a flat black paint made by Testors for models. I sanded the whole treo down then put two light coats of the flat black on there and two light coats of clear coat so it wouldnt be glossy. I didnt paint the antenna or anything and Ive lost most of my signal. While I have two or three bars of service, my buddies treo is at full service. I really didnt put that much paint on there. But I did read some post that the carbon in the black could mess up the signal. What could yall recommend? Just order a new housing, if so whats a good place that has stock GSM housings? Thanks alot

C
    Search: Replacement Housing

You've discovered that most of the Treo antenna is internal and that the paint you used apparently has some serious attenuation.. Perhaps metal flake or something?
    can you post a picture so we can see how it looks painted?
  5.    #5  
    Yea I can post some pics. lemme get my camera real quick. Anybody have anyclue what paint i could use that wont have some "serious attenuation". Since ive already got this one case screwed I might as well play around with it. Ill post some pics in a minute
  6.    #6  
    Here are a couple pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think it looks pretty good...I wouldnt have thought the paint would mess up the signal that much. Sorry.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Couldn't you use a paint remover and then repaint with a different type of paint?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Would it eat the plastic housing at all?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

There have been some who have painted theirs and that was one of the questions...Did the paint affect the reception? They just happened to have a paint that could be used on plastic...Krylon
  11.    #11  
    Yea I figure I can probably just sand it all off again. I just was curious what kinds of paints have worked in the past. I dont want to have to do it all again if i dont have to. I just wanna make sure im using the right kind, so if anybody has any ideas. I guess I could try krylon. Any suggestions?

C
  12.    #12  
    So yall think maybe Krylon Fusion?
    Yeah I agree, paint job looks good. I dunno what to suggest, rf usually isn't a consideration with paints.. Maybe you could test paint things to see how the signal does, like paint a cup or something and see what happens.. Kind of dumb, but all that comes to mind.
  14.    #14  
    Ok well so I might have fixed it of some sort. I have the signal meter 1.0 app and before i started playing with it. Sitting next to my computer the RSSI was a 2 with a threshold of 6. After I started taking it apart I kept the phone on before i pulled it apart. When I loosened the antenna screw my signal started going up. Its now all put back together with that screw a little looser and an RSSI of 20 threshold at 6. From 0-1 Bars to 3-4. Ill test it out later, but I hope that was just the problem that maybe that screw being to tight could screw up the signal. I Dont really know why it would, but its keeping a constant signal now.

C
    Wow, I think I'll try loosening my screw to see if it makes my signal any better.

Maybe "having a screw loose" is not such a bad thing after all.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Paint job looks good. But IMO you could've just used one of those stick-on skins and had the same final look.
    actually, i bought those decal skins on ebay and they look tacky when you put it on since you can still see the places where the decal doesn't cover. At any rate, I took mine off about 5 minutes after putting it on.
    I still might try the decal if I get desperate...Im leery of taking the whole thing apart.

sounds like a loose antenna connection.

I have a 650 with an internal antenna and a semi metallic paint job and it works fine. Some blacks have carbon in them and it can attenuate RF signals, but it should not affect your external antenna.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    You've discovered that most of the Treo antenna is internal and that the paint you used apparently has some serious attenuation.. Perhaps metal flake or something?
    The antenna is not internal at all.

I would guess he didn't tighten the screw that holds the antenna enough.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast