Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Interesting.. I've read a few places that there's quite a bit of the antenna internally. Obviously not the stupid grey blob at the top, but part of the antenna system.

Could just be an inductive thing. Try putting your hand over the back of the phone under the antenna and then away while watching the signal or using an RSSI meter. It definately affects it.
    I love your paint job! I especially like the metallic look to it.

I'm wondering if a base coat could be put down and then, using an air brush and paints used on acrylic nails, add a scene to it. I'd love to have a scene of hot air balloons on mine....
    http://mytreo.net/treofaq/HashCodes

use the 33284 code to check RSSI value.
    Your paint job looks awesome! It's like a Black Tie with fancier buttons
    Why not test other paints by painting tissue paper, or something similar... then wrapping that tightly around the phone?

It looks very good.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Vinyl dye would be a better option than paint
    A quick test for whether or not a paint is RF transparent: paint a 3x5 blank paper card with ta thick layer of the paint. Fill a microwave safe cup with water. Put both in the microwave, one next to the other in the center of the tray. Then nuke for 30 seconds or so. Immediately after the microwave stops, touch the paint on the card. If it's hot, then it absorbs RF in the microwave range and would mess up your signal.

The cup of water is to provide a load for your microwave to keep the magnetron from overheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    Why not test other paints by painting tissue paper, or something similar... then wrapping that tightly around the phone?

It looks very good.
    Nice experiment. Went from two bars when holding phone by its bottom to one bar with both hands wrapped around back near antenna.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Looks very cool. Are you going to high gloss it up...like a black ipod? Now that would be really cool.

The paint really shouldn't mess with the reception..at least not to any degree that would affect your call quality. As Zoti pointed out..the antenna is not internal. It is external. Maybe the screw thing was the ticket.
    If the antenna is not internal at all, then why does wrapping your hand around the body itself (and not the external part of the antenna) seriously affect reception?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    nice job! im going to try it when the weather gets dryer
    and.. is it possible to find a paint that will give the treo the real black tie feel, the rubberized thing. i looked online and only found the Rubberize-Dip spray... which looks like it's for more heavy duty stuff
    Handspring Visor > SONY Clie T650c> Sony CLIE NX70V (got stolen) > Sony Clie UX40 > PalmOne Treo 650 (Cingular unlocked)
    I Have An Internal Antenna On My 650 Which Is Painted With Black Automotive Bumper Paint Covered With A Thick Black Silicone Skin And I Get Great Reception.

Ps Paint Looks Good I Like The Chrome Agaist The Black Paint
    I Actually Tried Sem Vinyl Die And Duplicoler Vinyl Die And Both Are Actually Just Black Paint.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12