1.    #1  
    I got 650 to replace my 600. I put an extra copy of the datebook, address book etc in a different folder and then followed the instructions which say that if you keep the same user name all of your information should update to the new software. This didn't happen. I didn't expect it to happen because I've tried that when updating before. So I imported the information from the folders I backed up previous to installing the new software. It showed that the records imported but they still don't show in the calender even though i have the view set for show all records and the type of records is set at All.. Where are they?? Could someone please give me step by step instructions for importing palm datebook and address records into the new software so I can figure out where I went wrong?? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hyjean
    I got 650 to replace my 600. I put an extra copy of the datebook, address book etc in a different folder and then followed the instructions which say that if you keep the same user name all of your information should update to the new software. This didn't happen. I didn't expect it to happen because I've tried that when updating before. So I imported the information from the folders I backed up previous to installing the new software. It showed that the records imported but they still don't show in the calender even though i have the view set for show all records and the type of records is set at All.. Where are they?? Could someone please give me step by step instructions for importing palm datebook and address records into the new software so I can figure out where I went wrong?? Thanks
    Did you check to see if the file names changed for the data items in the former desktop and the new desktop?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the fast response. datebook.Dat... and Address.Dat.. Perhaps my ignorance is showing but they look the same to me..What now??
    Jean
    Here's the procedure I use:

Procedure for upgrading from one Palm Device to Another:

1. Synch old Treo for last time.
    2. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username] and copy the entire folder somewhere else just to be safe.
    3. If your old Treo stuff is in C:\ProgramFiles\Palm install new Treo 650 Palm Desktop to C:\ProgramFiles\Palmone
    4. Hard Reset your new 650.
    5. Hotsync new 650
    6. Install ROM Update
    7. Copy the following files:

address.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\address to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\address
    memopad.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\memopad to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\memopad
    todo.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\todo to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\todo
    datebook.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\datebook to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\datebook

8. Hotsync ... RTFM and use the phone this way for 3-7 days to make sure no issues. Download latest versions of all your programs in meantime. Get Dataviz tech tool.
    9. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager to track your program installations.
    10. Install PowerRUN or an equivalent to move programs to card.
    11. Install Programs from Palm CD ... one program at a time...that is one program per HotSync
    12. Install Dataviz tech tool to move Docs2Go to card
    13. Again use for 3-4 days to look for problems.
    14. Go thru your programs list and rank programs from small and uncomplicated to big, heavy memory users. Any hacks or progranms that require they be installed in main memory best left to last. Again one program per Hotsync so UM can track what files go in with what program. Only reasoning here is that you can probably get away with installing 6-7 small , simple programs per day whereas something big or which ties into system calls should be left to last and be installed alone. This will better enable you to diagnose any conflicts.
    15. Install a few programs per day making sure no problems have surfaced, again starting with smallest/simplest to largest/most complicated.
    16. If you can manage, I'd leave biggies like TomTom, EDGE, Snapper /Chatter to last and install those last few 1 program a day.
    17. If at any point problems kick up, you can easily retrace your steps with UM to find the offending program.
    18. Make sure you have a backup progam installed. Check Best Utilities thread for listings and url's.
    19. This shoulda been listed earlier but any programs that tie themselves to a specific device will need new registration numbers.
    20. Delete the OLD [B]C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\ directory not the new PalmOne one you just created.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the step by step. I want to make sure i understand. The hope is that it will work the way the manual says.. yah right..After step 7 when you say copy the following files.. are you copying the new files and DELETING the others? And.. what is RTFM and ROM update? I have checked the palm website against the programing running in my unlocked 650 and according to what that page says.. it doesn't require the updater.. Thanks again for the response. I think it will be very helpful when I get my nerve up and have lotsa time to get my mojo working. Jean