1.    #1  
    Sorry, I'm going a little crazy here. I've decided the Plantronics 645 headset is going back to the TC store. I like/love the design, it's comfortable, etc., but the LAG in connecting when making/receiving a call is just too much... unacceptable how many calls I'm missing here.

Now I've been reading review after review and post after post, and it seems like every single freaking headset is both awesome and terrible.

Scala 500 - what about this one? TC review likes it, but I've read complaints on the boards. How's the connection time?

SE HBH-IV835 - New one out there? I like the look, but is it comfortable? Supposedly the connection time is good, but I've heard the outgoing sound quality is bad.

SE HBH-GV435 - Another new one? Will this fit with sunglasses on my head? Is it loud enough?

This is for a Treo650, but who knows what phone I'll use it with in the future. I just want a good ALL AROUND headset that will fit my needs, and ideally for $100 or less.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Hard to say since it's different for everyone, but I personally use the Treo headset.($55 here at TC) I tried a lot of others including the Plant. 640 since it got rave reviews, but people told me I sounded to muddled plus the lag time issue you speak of.

Also the networks make a difference. I have a Sprint 650 and the Plant 640 didn't work well for me, but my buddy with a Cing. 650 loved it. Hate to say it, but it's all about trial and error.

P.S. I tried the Scala 500 and found it to be garbage...others say they love it. No one headset fits the masses. Happy hunting,
    Try the JX10. It's a pretty good headset. Nothing great but nothing terrible like the others that you've mentioned.
    I heard discovery 640 is awesome and treo BT headset.....if they both don't work, we should send a co-signed letter to PALM CEO to demand a upgrade of bluetooth versioin on 650!!!!!!!!!
    The 640 sucks. Don't waste your money.
  6.    #6  
    I've already tried the 645, and like I said the lag time is just too much. I've heard great things about the JX10, but the review on treo central says there's a lag on that too... true?
    I hope I don't get burned. I just ordered the Plantronics Discovery 655. Though I've never been a big BT headset user in the past so I'm not sure I wouldn't just pick up the phone and then transfer to the headset if I had some lag.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightusr
    I hope I don't get burned. I just ordered the Plantronics Discovery 655. Though I've never been a big BT headset user in the past so I'm not sure I wouldn't just pick up the phone and then transfer to the headset if I had some lag.
    Huh? There's lag when transferring a call from handset to headset. A lot of it.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah that IS the lag, is when the phone tries to transfer the call from the headset to the handset, it takes a while so people on the other end get confused/hang up.

is the lag present on the JX10?
    The lag is better on the JX10. The 640/645/655/Ultralight are the worst that I've tested when it comes to lag. They do other things very well though. The JX10 is quicker but not as fast as the IV835.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20
    Sorry, I'm going a little crazy here. I've decided the Plantronics 645 headset is going back to the TC store. I like/love the design, it's comfortable, etc., but the LAG in connecting when making/receiving a call is just too much... unacceptable how many calls I'm missing here.

Now I've been reading review after review and post after post, and it seems like every single freaking headset is both awesome and terrible.

Scala 500 - what about this one? TC review likes it, but I've read complaints on the boards. How's the connection time?

SE HBH-IV835 - New one out there? I like the look, but is it comfortable? Supposedly the connection time is good, but I've heard the outgoing sound quality is bad.

SE HBH-GV435 - Another new one? Will this fit with sunglasses on my head? Is it loud enough?

This is for a Treo650, but who knows what phone I'll use it with in the future. I just want a good ALL AROUND headset that will fit my needs, and ideally for $100 or less.
    I have used a Sony HBH 660 and HBH 300 and neither had a lag issue and decent sound quality. The HBH 300 is no longer made, and mine fell apart after unreasonably heavy use. That being said, I'm now using a Plantronics Voyager 510 and it does have a lag issue, but it has great sound quality, both outgoing and incoming, is extremely comfortable compared to either Sony, and has good battery life. The lag, for me, is barely tolerable and I'd jump for a headset that had all of the qualities of the 510 without the lag. I waiting for "the Boom" to come out with their long-promised Bluetooth model.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Huh? There's lag when transferring a call from handset to headset. A lot of it.
    Ok. I thought the lag was on the initial pickup via the headset. I tend to use the words "hold on a sec" or "hold on, let me transfer you to my headset" when I'm transferring someone hence my comment.
    stephentyler20, I hope you are impressed by the fact that TC members can agree on The Best BT Headset.

But seriously. I have used the TWH and the Scala 500. Both are fine. There are probably people who have used the same headsets and think they s@ck.
    I have the Jabra BT500 and the connection cannot be beat (no lag time / doesn't drop) on my 700p. The sound quality is good, but the BT510 was the best, but I couldn't put up with the constant drop of connections
    lightusr, please write a little review when you get this, i'm very interested in this headset what treo are you using btw?
    dragn017, here's a small mini-review. I'm still evaluating it and by no means do I consider myself a bt expert.

One thing to add to my review is that my wife said I was breaking up a bit when I was driving and the a/c blower was on full blast. I cranked the a/c down and she said it got a lot better. Anyway here's the post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=20
    dragn017, here's a small mini-review. I'm still evaluating it and by no means do I consider myself a bt expert.

One thing to add to my review is that my wife said I was breaking up a bit when I was driving and the a/c blower was on full blast. I cranked the a/c down and she said it got a lot better. Anyway here's the post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=20
    Thanks for the review. It seems the lag is still there. That's the norm for Plantronics. The breaking up with the AC cranked is because of the DSP. You can disable the DSP and retest.