Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I live in Vail Colorado. I have a Treo 650 which supports EDGE. I am getting speeds of 10 to 34 kbs at high useage times; other times it is 50 to 60 kbs. From my discussions with data support it is due to the fact that there are so many users on the network. When I signed up for media net I was told speeds would be around 100kbs.

I am wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem. I was told by pocket tunes support to test my connection speed using the mobile speed test at www.dslreports.com/ms. Let me know if anybody else is experiencing similar speeds.

Thanks Bruce
    I live on the Peninsula, about 15 miles south of San Francisco. I have used the 700p in the City, and close to El Camino fairly intensively down to Stanford and Mountain View, where we seem to have a strong EVDO signal. I notice little difference in areas with EDGE compared to non-EDGE. I can notice that it is faster, but it's nothing to write home about. I'm talking about loading simple webpages and am not really sure if I am looking at a limitiation of the Treo rather than EVDO. While the speeds are almost acceptable, I am honestly a little disappointed with EDGE on the Treo at the moment, and hope that it improves over time.
    Copernicus, I think you're confusing the issue. The 700p uses EVDO, which is only provided by Sprint and Verizon and provides dl speeds of up to 700kbps.

The OP was asking about a Treo 650 with EDGE, which is only provided (in the U.S.) by Cingular and T-Mobile and has a theoretical limit of somewhere around 150kbps.

To answer the original question - I am in the San Jose area, and I have had days where I can't get any better than about 30kbps. I just tried dslreports now, and I'm consistently getting 100-120 kbps. There are plenty of other threads on this topic, if you do a search for keywords edge and speed.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    People who live in former AT&T areas are subject to slower EDGE speeds. Don't ask why, that's just the case. One option which may or may not resolve your issue is trading in your Gemplus SIM card for a new Axalto SIM card at a Cingular store.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I'm in Lakewood and just tested: 38 Kb/sec.

I think Colo. is just generally yucky.

Maybe a Cingular SIM would help, but then I'd have to fight with them to get the phone unlocked.

I've given up on trying to stream audio.

I'll to a speed test next time I travel. I think I get peppier response when I'm elsewhere.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333
    Copernicus, I think you're confusing the issue. The 700p uses EVDO, which is only provided by Sprint and Verizon and provides dl speeds of up to 700kbps.

The OP was asking about a Treo 650 with EDGE, which is only provided (in the U.S.) by Cingular and T-Mobile and has a theoretical limit of somewhere around 150kbps.

To answer the original question - I am in the San Jose area, and I have had days where I can't get any better than about 30kbps. I just tried dslreports now, and I'm consistently getting 100-120 kbps. There are plenty of other threads on this topic, if you do a search for keywords edge and speed.
    Oops! Yes, you are quite right, I was *completely* off.
    Santa: A cingular SIM would only help if you are on Cingular...

I live in South Florida and it was both an AT&T and Cingular marker. Strong signal too. I have used the media net and isp connection. I have one of those 3g sim cards in my treo 650. I know the (3g) has nothing to do with EDGE speed but I am disappointed with this 40.00 unlimited data plan. Oh well, nothing I can do. I had no problem running pocket tunes @ 128k in Savannah last week but here it is lucky if I can get 96k without buffering.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    In San Fran, I usually get between 70-120 kbps. I travel a lot around the west cost and the lowest I usually get is around 30-50 kbps. I am with Cingular Orange.
    In my part of Mississippi, I usually run between 70-120 kbps. If i travel around to other neighboring towns it is usually around 40-70 kbps.
    You are all using dslreports.com/mspeed right? What file size are you choosing, because out here I'm getting 218kbps easily... and I don't live in the most urban area...
    Attached Images Attached Images