1.    #1  
    Help please! The latest Palm Desktop software will not install on my PC.

I've been using a Treo 600 w/ Palm Desktop ver. 4.1 on an office network w/ Windows 98 and then XP Pro, SP2 for almost three years with no problems. Just bought a new Treo 650 from Cingular. Instructions say one must uninstall all previous versions and install the latest software, ver. 4.1.4E, in order to sync.

I ran into two problems. The first was resolved by changing my user status to administrator. The second one continues: After accepting the EULA, the installation program asks that I insert the "Palm Desktop Synchronization Software" disc. The "use source" field shows a "1" file name. As the disc is already in the drive, I can either click "OK" or direct the PC to the CD-Rom disc. In both cases, the PC says that it cannot find the file "Palm Desktop and Synchronization Software.msi."

There is no such file on the CD-Rom disc. The only two .msi files are " palmOne.msi" and "ISScript8.Msi." At the suggestion of a co-worker, I tried putting these two files on the PC and renaming them "Palm Desktop and Synchronization Software.msi," but neither one worked. I also tried downloading the installation software from Cingular's web site, with the same end result. A search of 'Net led me to a TreoCentral post, http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...071#post477071, which is related to the first problem.

BTW, I had no problem installing the software on my home PC, which is networked and running XP Home, SP2.

Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    I found the solution at the Palm support web site. The problem was the Windows Installer database on the PC had become corrupted. I downloaded the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from Microsoft, installed and ran it, rebooted and then successfully installed the Palm Desktop software. The link to the Palm support page is http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(39070),ts=Palm_External2001. :-)