Quote from the article:

"may not be able to start volume production of the device until September due to software problems."

So, Palm has acknowledged software problems with the 700P? What happens when they release the ones without software problems? A ROM upgrade for existing 700P owners?

This may be why all the exchanges I have received have warranty dates in May (even the exchange I received end of July).
    There had better be a ROM upgrade for existing 700p owners!!!
    at&t iPhone3G
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    There had better be a ROM upgrade for existing 700p owners!!!
    KStewart,
    We might get cut out of the deal.
    Of Course a ROM update is coming out no question about that. When is that happening? I don't know. Though, what seems to be happening is that too many customers are complaining or returning the 700p so it raises a RED FLAG for Palm. I bet Verizon or/and Sprint has make it clear to Palm that they are not willing to buy more 700ps until they fix the problems. By doing this the carriers put more pressure on Palm to release a fix. This is great for us.

Al
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Of Course a ROM update is coming out no question about that. When is that happening? I don't know. Though, what seems to be happening is that too many customers are complaining or returning the 700p so it raises a RED FLAG for Palm. I bet Verizon or/and Sprint has make it clear to Palm that they are not willing to buy more 700ps until they fix the problems. By doing this the carriers put more pressure on Palm to release a fix. This is great for us.

Al
    I like your analysis of the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    I like your analysis of the situation.
    Yeah, treolo's post gives me hope, if I had to buy a new 700p to get a cure for whitescreening, lag and resets my current treo might have an untimely encounter with a brick wall
    garinballbarin
    1.) Of course there is a ROM update coming sometime
    2.) Do any of you really think that all the hardware readily available at Sprint, Verizon, and the Palm website is not "volume production"???? Really? Come on people!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    1.) Of course there is a ROM update coming sometime
    2.) Do any of you really think that all the hardware readily available at Sprint, Verizon, and the Palm website is not "volume production"???? Really? Come on people!
    it is OLD production there does seem to be halt/slowdown in production. we just replaced two 700ps last week. we had to wait 8 days. no sprint 700 p in any dc store for over a week (still short supply) finially retention ordered two from telesales with credit for warranty . like above commentor. units that came were may dated as well
    I am having trouble finding a store in the Bay Area (California) that has any 700p's in stock.

Looks like they have atleast slowed down production.
    Heh...it's funny too, yes there are definitely some annoying bugs with the 700p, but it's still by far the most stable treo I've used to date.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Heh...it's funny too, yes there are definitely some annoying bugs with the 700p, but it's still by far the most stable treo I've used to date.
    I have 43 third party programs on my Treo 700p now and, despite the *occasional* reset, caused almost entirely by what I think is an inability to deal appropriately with cache on Blazer (but also sometimes on Opera and Xiino), it seems very stable to me as well.

I hope they don't run out of stock, but in the meantime I am very happy to have one.
    I have 43 third party programs on my Treo 700p now and, despite the *occasional* reset, caused almost entirely by what I think is an inability to deal appropriately with cache on Blazer (but also sometimes on Opera and Xiino), it seems very stable to me as well.

I hope they don't run out of stock, but in the meantime I am very happy to have one.
    You seem to be running pretty stable with those apps. It seems like anybody pushing hard on the applications on the 700p run into problems but you seem fine
    at&t iPhone3G
  13.    #14  
    You seem to be running pretty stable with those apps. It seems like anybody pushing hard on the applications on the 700p run into problems but you seem fine
    Yes, I'm surprised too. I do have a noticeable lag when moving from browser to any other app, and the same lag (somewhat shorter) with Versamail (which despite instability reports, is working for me). Other than that and the browser crashes, everything seems stable. Perhaps I've been lucky, I have carefully reviewed each program here first before installing. I've also just made an adjustment to Xiino (clearing all cache after exit) which seems may clear up the browser instability issue (did the same a few days ago with Blazer after reading a post about it).

I noticed your post about adding only programs that were absolutely necessary and felt that perhaps you might be being a bit too cautious. Of course it's better to be safe...

Today I was about to add CrashPro when I read about someone who had just installed it going into an infinite loop. Sometimes it's just luck, and I'm seriously thinking of quitting while I'm ahead.

I noticed your post about adding only programs that were absolutely necessary and felt that perhaps you might be being a bit too cautious. Of course it's better to be safe...
    I have been losening up a bit...I have added 3 apps since, but I do my homework before I add them so I can maintain stability like you.
    at&t iPhone3G
  15.    #16  
    Brighthand analysis of supply problems:
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12364
    Brighthand analysis of supply problems:
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12364
    at&t iPhone3G
  17.    #18  
    I have been losening up a bit...I have added 3 apps since, but I do my homework before I add them so I can maintain stability like you.
    KStewart, Just as a point of reference: In my case, there is really no difference between the first 15 programs or so and where I am now (actually 45 if I count Profiles and Shortcuts5). There is a *slightly* longer delay delay while the Treo disengages itself from the cache of either the browser or versamail (I'm assuming that that is what it is doing), but it's not a big deal at all. Other than that, it's like I haven't added any programs at all.