Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have the Sprint Business Connection Software on my Verizon 700p, but the push functionality isn't working since the 700P doesn't keep the data connection alive the way that my old 650 did. Does anyone know a way to keep the data connection alive?

thanks
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Hmm.. data connection is always alive by default in 700p (Mine is VZW too) once you've made an initial connection (e.g. via Blazer) unless you explicity disconnect it. But I have no experience in using Spring Business Connection with a Verizon phone...
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  3.    #3  
    Webedc,

What I'm finding is that when my data connection has been idle for a while, when I go into Sprint BC and force a sync, it first shows a "connecting to Broadband" dialog. Leading me to believe that the data connection does in fact get disconnected when it's been idle for some undetermined amount of time.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Did you see the arrows above the voice signal status bars? If you saw them, your data connection was still up.
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    I have found that the data connection will disconnect (obviously) if you make or receive a voice call. Not really much you can do about this, as at present you can't do both voice and data simultaneously.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    At least on Verizon:

Preference -> Network -> Options -> Preferences, check box for "Connect to data network whenever the phone is powered on."
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    I have found that the data connection will disconnect (obviously) if you make or receive a voice call. Not really much you can do about this, as at present you can't do both voice and data simultaneously.
    After you're done with the voice call, notice that the 'arrows' are still there above the signal bars. Let's say if you were streaming audio, your audio stream resumes without presenting a box "Connecting to Broadband Access" box. So while it's true that voice and data cannot be done simultaneously, the data connection, however, stays 'registered' or 'connected' as it was just suspended during the voice call.
    bcaslis,

This is cool. What changes, if any, have you noticed using this setting?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    At least on Verizon:

Preference -> Network -> Options -> Preferences, check box for "Connect to data network whenever the phone is powered on."
    Does this actually do anything? I haven't noticed a difference. I still get problems with the network disconnecting.
  10. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    i have vzw 700p and my data connection is usually alive, unless I am in places with no coverage (the Ikea parking lot, or sometimes the parking garage of where I live)... my email client will try to regain the data connection when that happens though, but sometimes it would go into an error state and I would have to go into the mailer and do "reset connections"... my corp PIM client, NotifyLink, also does a sync every 5 minutes and it restores the data connection if it's been disconnected.

usually apps that require a data connection will automatically dial in for you... also, usually when I'm on the phone, the data connection just becomes idle (grey arrows), but sometimes it does die, I guess when I'm on the phone for a long time it times out or something, but as soon as I hang up one of the apps will try to use the network and it will re-dial.

What I don't understand is though, sometimes the redial happens in the background (phone just kindda freezes for like 5-10 seconds and the signal meter shows active data connetion afterwards), and sometimes I get the dialog box telling me it's dialing in with a cancel button. it's kindda random...
    Verizon Treo 700p w/ Martin Fields and Best Skin Ever film (sold)
  11.    #11  
    bcaslis,

Thank you. I have no idea why Palm would have and Options Preferences in Preferences.

Hopefully that change will fix my problem.
    To be honest I haven't really played around with this on the 700p. I find that the data connection is only really being dropped when I'm moving location (different cell sites) or doing something that closes it like using the phone as a wireless modem.

I did use to use this option on previous GSM Treos. In those it would cause the data connection to be established whenever it found a signal. This would avoid the connection dialog when you opened web or mail for instance.
  13.    #13  
    No luck. Even after using the option Bcaslis suggested, my VZW Treo 700P still drops the data connection and doesn't automatically restart it -- highly, highly annoying.

This kills the usefulness of any push email system.

Ugh
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Can't you just automatically sync every 1,5,10,30,or 60 minutes?

Maybe a pinging program would help keep it active. I can't understand what the practical difference between push and syncing every minute is, but thats just my opinion.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    You guys are missing my point. I'm not forced to relogin to the network, it just goes dormant. (remember in the 650days if the arrows are green calls go to voicemail, when they are grey, the phone rings. If you surf when grey, it takes about 2 seconds to go green and start working, this is not the same as re-registering with the network. Is there a way to keep the arrows from going grey after a few seconds and to make the timeout longer
    Mark F Chinsky
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDude
    No luck. Even after using the option Bcaslis suggested, my VZW Treo 700P still drops the data connection and doesn't automatically restart it -- highly, highly annoying.

This kills the usefulness of any push email system.

Ugh
    Yep. I've gone back to timed syncs. This is a known problem that's been discussed at the ChatterEmail forum, at least with Verizon. But I don't know whether Verizon is planning to do anything about it. And good luck trying to get a CSR to admit there's a problem.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I'm confused about many things here.....are we talking about dropping the Network data connection, or are we talking about making the green arrows stay green? These are two completely different things. In my own testing to see why I couldn't make the VeriChat hack work, I discovered that Verizon has locked down their Network settings, presumably because they don't want you do anything that causes extra overhead on their EVDO network. However, once you connect to the Network, you stay "connected" unless one of four things happen:

1) You lose the Network signal for a specified period of time;
    2) a reset (soft, warm, or hard);
    3) Something installed (3rd-party) actually disconnects the Network; or
    4) You manually disconnect the Network.

Otherwise, you stay connected. This does not mean that the green arrows will always be on.....those only come on during actual data usage.

As far as I know, push email does not require that the green arrows be constantly on. It needs to ping the server every x amount of time to see if any email is present. This might be 10, 30, 60 seconds, or even longer.....I'm not sure since I've only used Snapper with a set message retrieval every 30 minutes during the work week.

The VeriChat hack actually disconnected me from the Network every 5 min if I didn't use it. This meant that Blazer, Snapper, and everything depending on the Network had to reconnect everytime I used it after 5 minutes, i.e., "connecting to Broadband Access", "Establishing", etc. When I removed the hack, the Network stayed connected. This means that when I went to Blazer after the 700p had been asleep for 5 hours, the green arrows would immediately light up as it accessed the already-connected Network. That said, many apps can keep a Network connection open. Causerie allows you to poll the server at a specified intervals, from seconds to minutes.

I'm also confused as to why anyone would use Sprint BC from their 650 for a Verizon 700p and expect it to work properly.
    Last edited by dcpmark; 08/05/2006 at 03:31 PM.
  18.    #18  
    dcpmark,

To your question, I see the "connecting to Broadband Access", "Establishing", etc. messages.

The Sprint BCEE software works fine with any Treo (besides this 700P problem), on any network (Sprint, Cingular, etc.) to provide some of the same functionality that you have with a Blackberry: push email, calendar, contacts, etc. This is a Sprint program that is in many ways similar to what the infamous Blackberry Connect software is supposed to provide, but requires your company to have an agreement with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDude
    The Sprint BCEE software works fine with any Treo (besides this 700P problem), on any network (Sprint, Cingular, etc.) to provide some of the same functionality that you have with a Blackberry: push email, calendar, contacts, etc. This is a Sprint program that is in many ways similar to what the infamous Blackberry Connect software is supposed to provide, but requires your company to have an agreement with Sprint.
    Got it. As I mentioned, I've always used Snapper, even on my Sprint 600. What other 3rd party apps do you have on your 700p that access the Network? If none, at the very least I would try to get a copy of Sprint BC for the 700p, which would be set up for EVDO. Even then, I suspect that Sprint and Verizon have slightly different implementations of EVDO, and they may not be in all ways compatible. In the end, you may find that the very app you are trying to get working is the one that is disconnecting your Network.
    This isn't dropping the connection, it just goes inactive after no use. If it didn't do this you wouldn't get phone calls and your battery would drop like a rock. I don't think it really takes two seconds to go green, that's just the network latency to look up an address and make the connection. What you want isn't possible and isn't something you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mulcher
    You guys are missing my point. I'm not forced to relogin to the network, it just goes dormant. (remember in the 650days if the arrows are green calls go to voicemail, when they are grey, the phone rings. If you surf when grey, it takes about 2 seconds to go green and start working, this is not the same as re-registering with the network. Is there a way to keep the arrows from going grey after a few seconds and to make the timeout longer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast