Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I'm getting tired of soft resets at the end of Backupman backups--especially since soft resets seem to take a lot longer on the 700p than the 650. Has anyone successfully stopped these with the use of Resco Locker? If so, what apps did you lock to make this stop?
    I have not had a single problem; however, with all the movement of stuff around done by the backup process, it is not unexpected - Resco Backup had the same problem. Does it reset itself or are you resetting it?

MemoryInfo is a good utility that you can use to monitor and clear your cache. Also, how much free memory do you normally have, do you use a 3rd party launcher. As for Resco Locker, I use it and it does work. I do not have BackupManager locked (nor Rescoe Backup locked), but it is definitely worth a try.

For further info, take a visit to the sites for BackupManager and Rescoe Backup - there is a bit of info there about resets.

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions: immediately after finishing a backup, a soft reset occurs, I usually have 20+MB free internal memory, and I do use Launcher X.

On my 650, I did not have this problem even though I only had 3-4MB free usually and also used LX.

I've locked the following so far, but am still having soft resets: Butler, KBLightsOff, KeyCaps 600, KeyguardTime+, LudusP, skinUI, TextPlus, TreoHelper, TreoTweak, and YAHM (I use FontSmoother).

I appreciate any help you could provide.
    You have a number of utilities that run in the background - are the actually needed? I also would recommend installing the MemoryInfo application I mentioned, it helps in the long run. Resco Locker - as I mentioned, I do use it and have HanDBase locked - some of my databases are on the "large" size. I would also consider locking the launcher.

And the important thing to do is to take a look at the sites I mentioned, they go a long way toward discussing your situation.

My Treo 650 started life with bunches and bunches of resets and through some effort, became exceedingly stable (once a month or so). After a day spent working on the 700p, it has also become exceedingly stable, at abot once a month or so). In fact, it has been just short of a month and I like to add trash all the time. One thing though, I make it a point of keeping as much free memory available as possible and at least once a day I run MemoryInfo and clear the cache (db cache).

The links are:

http://www.bitsnbolts.com/nvfs.php
    and
    http://resco.net/palm/backup/aboutbackup.asp

Ben
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Remove LudusP completely and it will fix your problem. I reported this to Tyler months ago but he has other thing he is working on so I guess this fix will be a while out.

Oh yeah. I think Butler was also doing this too. might try that. and inform the developer.

OrionNE
    No issues here with BackupMan.

I use the schedule backup feature each morning at 3 am.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionNE
    Oh yeah. I think Butler was also doing this too. might try that. and inform the developer.
    I suspect it's Butler, too. Remove it, then see if your soft resets stop after a backup. I have LudusP and my backups are perfect, so leave LudusP alone for now unless it still doesn't work.
    Using the last version of BackupMan before the 2.x (believe it's 1.55) and no issues.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    I just installed a beta of Butler and am now doing a backup ... no problem - no reset.
    Now with Resco Backup ... no problem - no reset.

I will say this though (or type it), looking at MemoryInfo after the backup was done, the total size of the DB Cache is 18431KB.
    the total free is 75kb
    largest free chunk: 55kb.

That is a crash waiting to happen.

After clearing the db cache with Memory Info:
    total free: 14871KB
    largest free chunk: 1486kb

I ran BackupMan and after wards the check with Memory Info:
    Total ree: 93kb
    largest free chunk: 59kb

No reset - though the db cache is really low.

Your problem is not Butler. Your problem is not LudusP.

Your problem is with the Palm file system not clearing the db cache after a lot of file manipulation done by the backup programs.

Run MemoryInfo, clear the memory. Also check those things that are always enabled/running/alarm/whatever...

If you have not looked at the links I posted, you really should.

Ben
    hey guys,

I talked to Jan @ Resco and locking LudusP totally solves the issue. MY own fix will be in the next version of the app.

regards, tyler
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Tyler,

I'm using Backupman v2.1 and LudusP v1.13 with absolutely no resets after my backups.
    Tyler, that is only part of the problem. I do not and never have run LudusP and the results are that a soft reset is on the way, just not going to happen at that point. Take a look at my post with the details on the available memory.

Ben
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    You have a number of utilities that run in the background - are the actually needed? I also would recommend installing the MemoryInfo application I mentioned, it helps in the long run. Resco Locker - as I mentioned, I do use it and have HanDBase locked - some of my databases are on the "large" size. I would also consider locking the launcher.

And the important thing to do is to take a look at the sites I mentioned, they go a long way toward discussing your situation.

My Treo 650 started life with bunches and bunches of resets and through some effort, became exceedingly stable (once a month or so). After a day spent working on the 700p, it has also become exceedingly stable, at abot once a month or so). In fact, it has been just short of a month and I like to add trash all the time. One thing though, I make it a point of keeping as much free memory available as possible and at least once a day I run MemoryInfo and clear the cache (db cache).

The links are:

http://www.bitsnbolts.com/nvfs.php
    and
    http://resco.net/palm/backup/aboutbackup.asp

Ben

Thanks for taking the time to try and help, Ben. I have installed DBCache (I like the automatic clearing function over MemoryInfo), but am still having soft resets at the end of backups. Does anyone have suggested settings for DBCache on a 700p?
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I am giving NVBackup a try, and I like it so far. It is free too!
    I wish you luck with it. Eventually you will get it taken care of, the time and effort though...

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    OK, I'm getting tired of soft resets at the end of Backupman backups--especially since soft resets seem to take a lot longer on the 700p than the 650. Has anyone successfully stopped these with the use of Resco Locker? If so, what apps did you lock to make this stop?
    I am having the exact same problem, BackupMan resets at the end of the backup, it seems that everything is backed up though. I do not use Butler or LudusP but am using LauncherX(with Greyhide Skin). I have no problems with Resco Backup, it is smooth from beginning to end. I am just now working my way through this thread and see some suggestions that I have yet to try. Have you solved this yet or had any additional clues as to what it may be?

I'm having worse luck with BackupBuddyVFS Pro Version 3.x (have not tried the new Beta 4.x). The Treo falls twice before it completes the backup. Updates work fine after that.

I would like at least two backup systems working and am a little reluctant to use NVBackup as I have seen a post to the effect that it writes to questionable areas in memory. I have no idea what this is about though, or if my fear of it is at all justified.

Looking at the list of progs that you have locked (I haven't locked anything), I see the following programs that we are both using:

TextPlus (A likely suspect. I will disable TextPlusAnywhere to see if that helps, can't get rid of this one though)
    KeyguardTime+ (Definitely suspect on 700p)
    FontSmoother (Unlikely as many others are using it)
    YAHM
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    TextPlus (A likely suspect. I will disable TextPlusAnywhere to see if that helps, can't get rid of this one though)
    KeyguardTime+ (Definitely suspect on 700p)
    FontSmoother (Unlikely as many others are using it)
    YAHM
    I'm using Backupman v2.1, LudusP v1.13, and LauncherX 1.2.29 (skinless) with no resets after my backups. I don't have any of the other programs you mentioned.

Just a thought....try a soft reset just before you do a backup to see if that makes any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    I'm using Backupman v2.1, LudusP v1.13, and LauncherX 1.2.29 (skinless) with no resets after my backups. I don't have any of the other programs you mentioned.

Just a thought....try a soft reset just before you do a backup to see if that makes any difference.
    Thanks, it's a matter of finding which program. I deleted KeyguardTime+ and there was no difference. I also disabled TextPlusAnywhere (did not delete it) and that was no help either, I won't get rid of this one.

It has a high probability of being a program that both acousticbiker and I have in common. I will try the hot reset directly before the next backup. Otherwise it is working and I don't need to backup every hour or anything. Can't vouch for the restore on any of these programs yet (except individual progs which I have done on all three without problems).
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/17/2006 at 03:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Full BackupMan restores are quick, painless, and nearly perfect! BT profiles aren't saved, so I just have to re-pair my JX-10 after a full restore, and occasionally I find that I have to do a second touchscreen calibration to make it perfect.

If anyone doesn't have a working backup program like this, they are really missing out. It gives you confidence to try anything and everything without fear of having to do a hard reset. It fact, it makes hard resets FUN.......
    Is anyone using BackupMan without problems using either TextPlus or Fonts4OS5?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast